• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

It's amusing reading this discussion where the participants cannot agree on the basic facts.

Yeah, I know. I'm learning things from Shoosh and PhD that the news outlets aren't reporting. Hard hitting stuff.

It's depressing because at least three of them are lawyers. I wonder how often they've ignored the facts of a case in order to fit their preconceived notions.

We can’t even get wakelaw to admit that the professors assign grades and are therefore responsible for the grades. Any lawyer would love to have a case where someone admitted to having done something in the past while doing it again followed by admitting their culpability in doing it.

QFP: "It's depressing because at least three of them are lawyers. I wonder how often they've ignored the facts of a case in order to prove someone isn't "racist.""

As a great American lawyer once (sort of) said “If the narrative doesn’t fit, you must acquit.”

I’m not certain the facts have been established and nobody has shown me a full copy of the video. If it was a recorded class I would like to see where the class ended and that discussion began. The transcript wasn’t clear where the conversation ended either.

I agree that the video looks bad, but this whole time my biggest issue has been the BLSA Tweet that nothing other than immediate termination would be acceptable based on a single clip posted to social media.

That type of rush to judgment is why the Atlanta cop was reinstated (and on administrative leave). He’s probably about to get a new hearing on his bail restrictions because statements made by the DA contradict the findings of the GBI.

It's depressing because at least three of them are lawyers. I wonder how often they've ignored the facts of a case in order to fit their preconceived notions.

We can’t even get wakelaw to admit that the professors assign grades and are therefore responsible for the grades. Any lawyer would love to have a case where someone admitted to having done something in the past while doing it again followed by admitting their culpability in doing it.

And we can’t get you to acknowledge that law school exams are graded blind and that’s 75 percent of the grade. Which metric is she using to evaluate the students? 25 percent is too high of a percentage for participation. The flip side being if you’re intimidated by participating in a law school class, the law may not be the best profession for you.

QFP: "It's depressing because at least three of them are lawyers. I wonder how often they've ignored the facts of a case in order to prove someone isn't "racist.""

Sure. I posted that before I edited it to make a broader point. Not sure why you think that’s important or a gotcha.

25% is not too high for participation in a class where you’re learning negotiation and mediation. Still waiting to hear why Georgetown shouldn’t compare the spread in this class to similar classes before deciding the professors are racist.

wakelaw, your argument is that is possible that every Black student who took Due Process over 18 years except a “few good ones” was one of the worst students at Georgetown Law.

And we can’t get you to acknowledge that law school exams are graded blind and that’s 75 percent of the grade. Which metric is she using to evaluate the students? 25 percent is too high of a percentage for participation. The flip side being if you’re intimidated by participating in a law school class, the law may not be the best profession for you.

Cav, your argument seems to be that almost every Black student for 18 years was “intimidated” by participating in this class.

Both of you believe that because two white people in a position of power said Black students were inferior over an 18 year period.

And neither of you sees a problem with that?

That’s not at all my argument. You haven’t seen a grade distribution just like I haven’t. And there is no class called due process. You’re not listening so I’m done explaining.

Cancel culture & Wingate Hall

wakelaw, your argument is that is possible that every Black student who took Due Process over 18 years except a “few good ones” was one of the worst students at Georgetown Law.

Cav, your argument seems to be that almost every Black student for 18 years was “intimidated” by participating in this class.

Both of you believe that because two white people in a position of power said Black students were inferior over an 18 year period.

That’s not at all what my argument is and you’re being disingenuous if you believe it is. That comment was about all students. Any student intimidated by speaking in class probably doesn’t have a great future in law and as your own anecdote pointed out making participation a significant part of the grade can encourage students to overcome their fears of speaking in public.

I still don’t know if she was lamenting black students performed poorly on the blindly graded exams or if that was specific to the class participation. And since AGAIN I can’t find the whole video I have no idea which it is.

And AGAIN the only issue I have is the BLSA Tweet.

I can’t make my position any more clear. And I’m not going to spend my time arguing about it anymore.

an argument between lawyers and Ph about educational processes at law school may literally never end

Sure. I posted that before I edited it to make a broader point. Not sure why you think that’s important or a gotcha.

It made me laugh. Your post made me think about what you must think an actual court case looks like.
That got me thinking about what court cases don't look like at all.
Which got me thinking about my favorite fake court case.
Which is this one:

Peak Davidson.

Kudos to you, man. This is just peak trolling. The only flaw is that you didn't mischaracterize Woke's or my posts too. Still, I'd give it 4 out of 5.

And all are ignoring that she deserved to be fired (and thoroughly apologized because she knew what she did was terminable and would have resigned anyway) just for the comments in the video that was viewed by her students. They know that and are being disingenuous. Cav knows that the BLSA call for termination came after delay by the administration and that they were calling for immediate termination because the tape alone was sufficient without some audit which would have dragged out the process for several months and been ineffectual because of subjectivity.

But let these southern white lawyers whitesplain all of this to you, Ph. As a lawyer married to another lawyer with a ton of lawyer friends, man can lawyers be fucking obnoxious -- but the really obnoxious ones tend to be southern (picture: wearing bow ties and calling each other counselor) or from NY.

And all are ignoring that she deserved to be fired (and thoroughly apologized because she knew what she did was terminable and would have resigned anyway) just for the comments in the video that was viewed by her students. They know that and are being disingenuous. Cav knows that the BLSA call for termination came after delay by the administration and that they were calling for immediate termination because the tape alone was sufficient without some audit which would have dragged out the process for several months and been ineffectual because of subjectivity.

But let these southern white lawyers whitesplain all of this to you, Ph. As a lawyer married to another lawyer with a ton of lawyer friends, man can lawyers be fucking obnoxious -- but the really obnoxious ones tend to be southern (picture: wearing bow ties and calling each other counselor) or from NY.

Wait a minute...the fired professor admitted what she did was wrong and apologized and now we have a multi page argument about the Woke Meanies and demanding an investigation?

Wait a minute...the fired professor admitted what she did was wrong and apologized and now we have a multi page argument about the Woke Meanies and demanding an investigation?

Yeah, but that's not even the worst part. The worst part is people are stupidly agreeing with JH and Junebug.

Yeah, but that's not even the worst part. The worst part is people are stupidly agreeing with JH and Junebug to disregard the childish demand that we dispense with any investigation and just appease the Twitter mob.

Here for you.

Back