• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Gas Crisis

Had to top off my van because I've got two trips to Raleigh this week. Thankfully, it gets about 37mpg in economy mode, so I should be good. This is my first hybrid, and I'm really impressed with it so far.

So the local Asheville station had a report..
GasBuddy @ 9:12am said that 78% of the Upstate/Asheville stations had no gas.
Then the next paragraph, it states that ; 24.8% of North Carolina Gas stations have no gas....

Should we just all drive to the middle of nowhere to fill up our tank?

https://www.wlos.com/news/local/78-of-gas-stations-without-fuel-in-region-gas-prices-rise-above-3-nationally

That apparently is now 65% statewide. Worst in the country by a pretty large margin.

Why isn't the media talking about this??.?

72% of gas stations in both Charlotte and Raleigh have no gas now. This is pretty wild. When do they think trucks will be able to get out and about en masse?

Was in San Antonio, TX after Harvey and the exact same thing happened. Took about a week till everything seemed back to normal.

I really for y'all, that week sucked and you get a front row seat to the worst of humanity.

In my travels today, I saw at least 3 stations with either bags on all the pumps or goose eggs on the sign. I was able to top off at a Speedway just out of town on the way home.

I found a station outside of town that had gas so I filled up both cars and bought a new car just so I could have space to store more gas.

WSJ has an article on gas prices and the pipeline issue and shows a picture of a woman in Benson NC filling up 8 gas cans (that are visible)...

Here is the photo...
So in Asheville a few years ago, we had a gas shortage due to a hurricane.
One gas station had the owner walking around WITH HIS PISTOL HOLSTERED ON HIS HIP, making sure people didn't take more than 20 gallons.
Another gas station was "out of gas", yet conveniently opened up at night with the lights off so his buddies could gas up their cars. Coincidentally, he was an elected County commissioner.

im-337455

Apparently that pipeline is NC's primary source for gasoline - so it makes sense that we would be worse off than a lot of other states.

Pipeline’s back working. Our long national nightmare is over.

Topped off about half a tank. The station had a $20 limit at $3/gal-(it will be interesting if they keep the total price limit as the price per gallon increases). Customers inside was arguing with the clerk whether he was allowed to come back tomorrow, thus rendering the whole exercise pointless.

I found a station outside of town that had gas so I filled up both cars and bought a new car just so I could have space to store more gas.

Smart. Stupid poors need to take note.

Is NC doing anything to reduce travel like encouraging people to work from home through Sunday if possible?

[h=1]Colonial Pipeline Restarts: There's No Need To Panic-Buy Gas (And Never Was)[/h]
https://www.npr.org/2021/05/12/9963...theres-no-need-to-panic-buy-gas-and-never-was

But experts stress there's no underlying supply shortage to panic about — unless the run on gas pumps creates one.
"Let me emphasize that, much as there was no cause for, say, hoarding toilet paper at the beginning of the pandemic, there should be no cause for hoarding gasoline, especially in light of the fact that the pipeline should be substantially operational by the end of this week and over the weekend," Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm said at a Tuesday briefing.

Last edited:
Got lucky; filled my tank in a small town north of Elkin, Dobson. Then again (premium only) in Winchester.
Should be fine till I get to NY from here. Thanks for everyone’s help.

Back