• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Craig

Holy crap, Craig fucked up the pickoff before that play and then got ate up by a grounder two batters later. Talk about a bad inning

Even if you thought there were two outs, you don't just non-chalant the tag like that-you either throw it home immediately or tag the guy and then try for two. That's just almost unthinkable. 2B is at fault too, but he probably didn't think in a million years he'd have to do something like that.

Even if you thought there were two outs, you don't just non-chalant the tag like that-you either throw it home immediately or tag the guy and then try for two. That's just almost unthinkable. 2B is at fault too, but he probably didn't think in a million years he'd have to do something like that.

bad baseball players make moves like that. catcher is to be blamed too, like should have been screaming at craig to go back to first base or literally just stand there. the fact the catcher was probably telling craig to throw it home shows he was just as clueless. this is what happens when you have two DFA bums catching and playing 1B for a MLB team.

Holy crap, Craig fucked up the pickoff before that play and then got ate up by a grounder two batters later. Talk about a bad inning

any video of the pickoff and missed ground ball, that makes it even worse (if that's possible)

Is there a version with the Pirates announcers' commentary? I'm really curious how one reacts to their own team doing that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5QeMCslKg

here is longer version of that inning

One can see Craig’s lack of athleticism on both the pickoff and the ground ball. Pickoff was a bad throw by pitcher and having a RH first baseman makes it a very hard play to make, one that Craig isn’t capable of making. The ground ball shows his lack of range and first step quickness/reaction to the ball.

Yikes. That is the kind of play that you would see in low level little league, and then, as a coach, make your very best effort to not lose it by screaming at the 8 year-old first baseman that lost his mind. BTW, Craig's decision-making was comically horrible, but where the F was the 2nd baseman once Craig tried to lob the ball to the catcher? I realize that, initially, you would never think that the Baez would get by Craig and try to get to first, but no one should just be standing around on a play like that. Once a base is abandoned, someone else on the defense has to hustle over to cover when he sees hell breaking loose.

I agree...

I had a MANDATORY rule for team defense...If you’re standing still when the ball is hit ANYWHERE you’re doing something wrong!

You never see it MLB but the RF’er should be on his horse backing up 1B too.

the best part of that sequence is Baez doing the safe signal and then realizing he's still in the middle of the play hahhaaa.

Its that WFU baseball pedigree. Too much thinking in the baseball lavatory, and not enough talking chatter on the ball field. "2 down here!...2 down here!...plays to first!"

I blame Walter.

None other than Tim Kurkjian said it was the worst play he’d ever seen at any level.

I’m just grateful I haven’t heard a mention of Wake Forest when they’re talking about Craig.

that inning was a textbook WF defensive inning, without question. Multiple mental errors, a bungled pickoff, two credited errors, 2 gifted runs and 20 or so extra pitches taxing the starter

Barring a long, successful career, Will Craig's MLB legacy will be the biggest bonehead play of the decade. I don't believe he is talented enough to have a long successful career

E2cX8CMXMAEokDJ

This needs to be a trivia question of sorts in the future. "Can you accurately describe the sequence of events unfolding here?"

Last edited:
man, I feel bad for Craig being the goat of the sports world for at least 24 hours

had multiple people send me that clip who barely even follow baseball and had no inkling of the Wake connection

that inning was a textbook WF defensive inning, without question. Multiple mental errors, a bungled pickoff, two credited errors, 2 gifted runs and 20 or so extra pitches taxing the starter

Barring a long, successful career, Will Craig's MLB legacy will be the biggest bonehead play of the decade. I don't believe he is talented enough to have a long successful career

Brutalized on all the morning t.v. shows (and not just sports); still has Highly Questionable, Around the Horn and PTI to go. Thankfully for Craig, the play took so long from start to conclusion that it won't end up being a gif similar to Jose Canseco and the skull-aided HR.

It's downright fascinating. There have been players who have forgotten there was a force play on-but not usually at first base. There have been players who have forgotten how may outs there are-but if he thought that, he should have thrown home much sooner. Basically, it's a worse version of two different brain farts-each of which alone would be at least mildly infuriating if you were a fan of that team-that somehow happened simultaneously on the same play.

You never see it MLB but the RF’er should be on his horse backing up 1B too.

That's an interesting dilemma-if the catcher tries to hit the 2B in stride, do you back up where the ball should go or where the 2B is? (The RF seemed to be in the picture, but booted the ball anyway).

I have a tough time blaming the 2B and RF for not being on their horse to make a play they’ve never in their lives had to make. They had to be thinking, “Fuck. Well at least he’ll tag Baez and we’ll get out of the inning.”

Back