• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Will Craig

Will Craig avoided talking to the press yesterday, but that will only work for so long. This play has blown up beyond baseball and now everyone is going to want to hear from him. Guessing Craig will talk about it today before the Pirates game.

Even passionate baseball fans had no idea who Will Craig was until yesterday, now this play will stay with him forever.

the best part of that sequence is Baez doing the safe signal and then realizing he's still in the middle of the play hahhaaa.

The crazier thing is, even with the long time lapse that run still wouldn't have counted if they got it together and got the force out at first before Baez made it all the way back there.

I honestly think the second baseman should get a massive amount of the blame as well. Once Craig starts jogging home, it is his job to be the next in line at first base in the pickle. If he is standing on the base, the catcher throws it to him and Baez is out by 80 feet and the run does not count. I don't know if they practice pickles in the majors, but every kid has run that play a hundred times, albeit not usually between home and first.

I have a tough time blaming the 2B and RF for not being on their horse to make a play they’ve never in their lives had to make. They had to be thinking, “Fuck. Well at least he’ll tag Baez and we’ll get out of the inning.”

I understand you.

My ‘rule’ was whenever the ball is hit, everyone has a job to do/a place to be on the field. And if anyone isn’t moving to do so they are doing something wrong.

Before this pitch, they all got to know there’s 2 out...obviously Craig didn’t or got confused. On an infield grounder, it’s SOP for the RF to backup FB. I don’t blame the 2B for the late cover at FB. He was probably just dumbfounded by what was happening as anyone.

Someone off line just posed a great thought....

Up until this, he thought it was illegal for a batter-runner to stop and backup en route to 1B since he has nowhere else to legally go. Frankly I thought so too

It would be illegal to tag home but I don’t know why it would be illegal to not run to 1st.

Yeah, I'm guessing that "Runner must continue advancing towards first base at an acceptable rate of speed" is not in the rulebook.

Baez came close to phyisically interfering with the play at home, IMO-he didn't. but was about a step away from doing so.

One can see Craig’s lack of athleticism on both the pickoff and the ground ball. Pickoff was a bad throw by pitcher and having a RH first baseman makes it a very hard play to make, one that Craig isn’t capable of making. The ground ball shows his lack of range and first step quickness/reaction to the ball.

Jesus Christ. I realize you hate anything Wake baseball related, but lay off Craig. He won the Triple-A Gold Glove for 1B in 2019. He committed one error in 992 innings for a .999 fielding percentage. He made a dumbass play yesterday, but he’s not “incapable” of making simple plays, he just had a tough game.

Craig didn't make excuses. This account, rightfully, gives him credit for that:

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports...-Wehner-Javier-Baez-Cubs/stories/202105280139

Excerpt:

Will Craig generated headlines and helped create a viral video Thursday by making a mind-boggling blunder, jogging after Cubs shortstop Javier Baez when all he had to do was step on first base.
A day later, after plenty of thought and reflection, Craig’s brain was clearly in a much better place.
Willingly discussing his mishap over a Zoom call Friday, Craig was thoughtful, introspective and honest, striking all the right notes and handling the situation the way the minor league Gold Glove winner handled thousands of ground balls before the one that ultimately made him famous.

Jesus Christ. I realize you hate anything Wake baseball related, but lay off Craig. He won the Triple-A Gold Glove for 1B in 2019. He committed one error in 992 innings for a .999 fielding percentage. He made a dumbass play yesterday, but he’s not “incapable” of making simple plays, he just had a tough game.

Oh Jesus H Christ yourself. Craig screwed up the one simple play that sums up the entire Pittsburgh Pirate organization to a "T" over the past 10+ years. After all that, even letting the runner from second come around to score with the batter/runner dancing between home with Craig holding his balls/ball, even after the runner touched home plate, if Craig has just tagged out Baez or gotten the ball on back to first base for the put out AND most importantly the 3rd out of the inning, Contreras' run does not count at all. Total brain fart that will be on all the bloopers for the rest of the year!

The crazier thing is, even with the long time lapse that run still wouldn't have counted if they got it together and got the force out at first before Baez made it all the way back there.

I honestly think the second baseman should get a massive amount of the blame as well. Once Craig starts jogging home, it is his job to be the next in line at first base in the pickle. If he is standing on the base, the catcher throws it to him and Baez is out by 80 feet and the run does not count. I don't know if they practice pickles in the majors, but every kid has run that play a hundred times, albeit not usually between home and first.

I doubt they practice pickles between home and first at any level very often.

Someone off line just posed a great thought....

Up until this, he thought it was illegal for a batter-runner to stop and backup en route to 1B since he has nowhere else to legally go. Frankly I thought so too

It would be illegal to tag home but I don’t know why it would be illegal to not run to 1st.

Only rule in the book is it is illegal to run the bases in reverse order for the purpose of confusing the defense. Hence why he couldn't pass home plate. Makes you wonder what the impetus for that rule was though.

Lol. This isn’t going away for a while. Anyone watching the ESPN tonight?

The Pirates DFA'd Will Craig. This means that they have 7 days to trade him or he will be exposed to waivers. If Craig isn't traded or picked up by another team, the Pirates can reassign him to AAA.

The Pirates DFA'd Will Craig. This means that they have 7 days to trade him or he will be exposed to waivers. If Craig isn't traded or picked up by another team, the Pirates can reassign him to AAA.

Does the other team have to pick him up and add him to the 26 man roster or can they similarly reassign him?

Back