• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Israel's state-sponsored terrorism and ethnic cleansing

TownieDeac

words are futile devices
Reaction score
Just sorta felt like we needed a thread on this and didn't see one at first scan.

These are war crimes!

On top of the air strikes against civilians, the state is now sanctioning civilian crimes similar to right wing white supremacy tactics in the US, like driving cars into civilians, harassing and beating children, etc.

The "only democracy in the middle east" is an utterly failed state. Netanyahu must stand trial.

Blinken has to do more to call for a cease fire here.

The bombing of the building where AP journalists were working and nearly killed was not the worst atrocity, but it should make the list.

It was always customary to label Israel a nation of survivors who one dared not cross (much due to our support) who would defend itself to the last person. A Nation who’s tenacity one admired.

Today, bullies would be a better label.

Pop gets it.

Many years, probably a dozen years ago given the reference, I posted something like “Israel in the Middle East is like Davidson in the Southern Conference but with UNC coming off the bench.”

The underdog framing has never been true especially with the full backing of the US military.

Some House Democrats are trying to delay the latest arms sale to Israel.

https://www.npr.org/2021/05/17/997488653/israel-launches-new-strikes-as-gaza-conflict-enters-week-2

Texas Rep. Joaquin Castro was one of those members, and said a delay would allow many members who were caught off guard by the notice of the sales via news reports on Monday.

"It would be reasonable to ask for a delay in that sale so that we could review it given everything that is going on, particularly the fact that Israel, who is our good friend and who the United States has supported for generations, now targeted a building that housed an American company, the Associated Press, Castro said.

"You can't just look the other way at that. The United States needs to send a firm message.

Castro conceded that not all Democrats are on the same page.

"There is a diversity of opinion about what we should do in terms of handling the situation," Castro said.

Last edited:
It only took a decade or so for the Holocaust generation to die off before the Israel decided to ratchet up its apartheid program of the Palenstiains

Similar to how our white nationalism movement seemed to pick up steam a decade after the last large group of WWII vets died

History is terrible like that

Wow. Hadn't made that connection, but it checks out.

It only took a decade or so for the Holocaust generation to die off before the Israel decided to ratchet up its apartheid program of the Palenstiains

Similar to how our white nationalism movement seemed to pick up steam a decade after the last large group of WWII vets died

History is terrible like that

pre-breakfast/coffee opinion is that it feels like there's a few things wrong with this

pre-breakfast/coffee opinion is that it feels like there's a few things wrong with this

Well there certainly a few grammatical errors, that is what I get from posting in bed

Also there are some Holocaust survivors still alive, but most have died by now. I know that Gaza had been an issue for decades, but it feels like the rhetoric and actions of Israel are far more cold blooded than in the past. Netanyahu tripling down on authoritarianism is part of it, as is the leadership not having direct experience with war crimes and genocide.

Aging out of direct experience with the Holocaust notwithstanding this is essentially just daily Kristallnacht

I think there is something linked between getting far away time wise from the almost universally condemned worst case scenario of right wing nationalism and seeing right wing nationalism on the rise across the world.

Israel was founded on the massacre of Palestinians and the cleaning out of Palestinian villages while British forces pulled back. It was a couple of years after WWII, not a generation.

This young man was murdered by the IDF yesterday:

He was arrested three times by IDF and documented the experience in the above film. He was 17.

In middle school I lived in Europe for a few years (my dad's job) and we travelled all over, including a trip to Israel when I was about 12. Even at 12 in 1990 I saw two things: 2) massive disparity between Jewish and Palestinian societies and 2) religion created a ton of huge but really dumb fights.

When were in Jerusalem we spent one day going to the Western Wall and then to the Dome of the Rock. There was some sort of Jewish protest going on at the entrance to the Dome of the Rock compound and I could tell that our tour guide was nervous. He was rushing and seemed impatient as we put on our carboard yamakas and placed our paper prayers into the wall. He gathered us all up and decided to go the long way around to the Dome, not through the main gate on the Israeli side but through the Palestinian side that required a long and hasty walk through the streets past shops and through thick crowds. Once we got into the compound, the tour guide calmed down quite a bit, had us gather and sit under a tree and he explained what the dome was, the history of the site, and what the protest outside was about, seemed like a great >30 minute lecture. Then he said, take off you shoes and go into the dome and look around, take your time, I will not go with you because I am Jewish and want to be respectful. We left our shoes with him and headed to the temple. We complied and were headed into the Dome but about 30 seconds later there was shouting and running and suddenly dozens of young Palestinian men and teenagers were hurling rocks over our heads at the Jewish entrance to the compound. My mom and dad were starting to panic, the tour guide came over and shouted for us to go into the temple, there would be no violence in the house of Mohamed. My dad grabbed my sister by the arm and my mom clenched my hand and we all ran into the Dome. It was beautiful inside and out, but who could really take the time to appreciate it. I remember staying there for long enough to realize that every few minutes, a surge of men would run into the Dome and then back out again. Our tour group was huddled together on the side of the temple, and there were several tour groups there, no one had shoes. After some time and no evidence that the episode was subsiding we all agreed to head back out to the courtyard find our tour guide and shoes and get out there. As we emerged I saw Palestinian men using hammers to break paving stones into small pieces and filling buckets for other men to hurl the stones at the Jewish gates. I saw tear gas canister on the ground spewing smoke. We grabbed our stuff and the tour guide, crouching behind a tree, told us to run across the courtyard and up the hill to the mosque, the Al-Aqsa Mosque, in the compound since the violence was centered around the Dome and the Jewish gate. We and dozens of other European tourists were running for what felt like our lives, most of us still shoeless, and as we ran we started hearing gun fire and I could see Israeli police or military were there firing at the crowd of Palestinian rock hurlers. Up the steps to the Al-Aqsa, we gathered, out of breath, with the group. I don't remember how we got out or where we went. On the tour bus the guide told us that the gate guards at the Jewish gate had let 4 of the protesters through the gates and they immediately knelt down and started to pray. This is what sparked the initial rock throwing. Usually these things settled down quickly so the tour guide told us to seek safety in the temple but this episode escalated when the praying Jews would not leave and the police showed up and fired tear gas, which made the Palestinians more outraged so they threw more rocks and then the police started shooting rubber bullets into the crowd (that was the gun fire we heard). It was wild, scary and senseless.

Never would have guessed the Tunnels was such a hotspot of Hamas apologists.

Back