• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino Gaudio charged with extortion

Ronnie's decision to part ways with this clown is starting to look better with age. He still picked a tool to replace him but I would distance myself from Dino too.

How is this a response to the most recent allegations? Seems like some of you stopped following the story after Dino was charged and when you saw there was an update you just complained more about Gaudio without reading the new information

Last edited:
Dino was always unfit for the head WF job. His record at Loyola and Army as HC before WF was atrocious. Skip left him a roster of NBA players, and the team collapsed every year. At the time, there were a lot of people that knew Dino had to go, but Bz was such a horrible hire that some with that comparison thought Dino should've stayed. He was always a clown and a rock-head. This latest incident just laid bare Dino for who he is and was.

Just a reminder that Wellman gave Dino an extension 9 months before firing him.

Dino was always unfit for the head WF job. His record at Loyola and Army as HC before WF was atrocious. Skip left him a roster of NBA players, and the team collapsed every year. At the time, there were a lot of people that knew Dino had to go, but Bz was such a horrible hire that some with that comparison thought Dino should've stayed. He was always a clown and a rock-head. This latest incident just laid bare Dino for who he is and was.

no WF coach has ever inherited more from his predecessor & left so little to his successor.

I was working @ Duke in the 90's & Dino brought his Army team to Cameron one year. I don't remember the details but apparently Coach K was asked about the Army program at some point before the game as he is an alum & former head coach. Again I don't remember the exact question/response but it was interpreted as a slight by Dino. So he had his entire team go full Patrick Davidson on Duke from the opening tip. K was not amused & Duke won 100-38

Again, none of that is related to the most recent update on the story. I don’t know why you all are just rehashing these old Cleveland State grievances, the story isn’t about Dinos HC record.

I was a fan of Mack before. If that filing is true (which I’m going to assume it is because of the ethical implications) then Mack is a scum bag. Doesn’t change my thoughts on Dino that he was never right for the Wake job though.

Dino obviously has his troubles.
The question is - how much trouble will Chris Mack have as a result of the things Dino is saying?

Just a reminder that Wellman gave Dino an extension 9 months before firing him.

Yes. But those details weren’t public. Didn’t we see there was never a huge buyout in subsequent years when tax records were finally available?

Yeah, the Wellman extension of Dino was purely for recruiting purposes. Frankly, it was a smart move.

I've said it before several times here and I'll say it again. Mack is a dick. Dino wasn't great for a variety of reasons but Mack is a dick. If you want to compare Wake's culture versus Mack's, here's a good example. While Mack was at Xavier, both Wake and Xavier were recruiting Eddie Ekiyor, that Canadian PF who ended up hitting a cop on a bicycle and fleeing the scene. When Wake heard about it, Wake stopped recruiting him as did a lot of other programs. Not Mack. Not only did Mack not stop recruiting him, when Ekiyor essentially couldn't go to high school anymore while the investigation and criminal charges were pending, Mack enrolled him at Xavier mid-season and had him sitting on Xavier's bench as a redshirt. There were a number of other issues at Xavier as well. Mack can win games. But he's a dick.

Everyone was right that Gaudio not getting back into coaching was a sign he didn't really "want it". He waited until he had the cherry job with Mack at Louisville. Then Mack went and canned him after two years. Gaudio was justifiably pissed at his long time friend for pulling him out of TV for two years and then dumping him. Also keep in mind, Gaudio was the one who recruited Mack as a player. It was a long relationship. Just a bad scene all around.

It sucked it's taken Wake as long to kinda right the ship after everything that happened. But getting out of the Gaudio world was the right thing to do for a number of reasons.

Yeah, the Wellman extension of Dino was purely for recruiting purposes. Frankly, it was a smart move.

I've said it before several times here and I'll say it again. Mack is a dick. Dino wasn't great for a variety of reasons but Mack is a dick. If you want to compare Wake's culture versus Mack's, here's a good example. While Mack was at Xavier, both Wake and Xavier were recruiting Eddie Ekiyor, that Canadian PF who ended up hitting a cop on a bicycle and fleeing the scene. When Wake heard about it, Wake stopped recruiting him as did a lot of other programs. Not Mack. Not only did Mack not stop recruiting him, when Ekiyor essentially couldn't go to high school anymore while the investigation and criminal charges were pending, Mack enrolled him at Xavier mid-season and had him sitting on Xavier's bench as a redshirt. There were a number of other issues at Xavier as well. Mack can win games. But he's a dick.

Everyone was right that Gaudio not getting back into coaching was a sign he didn't really "want it". He waited until he had the cherry job with Mack at Louisville. Then Mack went and canned him after two years. Gaudio was justifiably pissed at his long time friend for pulling him out of TV for two years and then dumping him. Also keep in mind, Gaudio was the one who recruited Mack as a player. It was a long relationship. Just a bad scene all around.

It sucked it's taken Wake as long to kinda right the ship after everything that happened. But getting out of the Gaudio world was the right thing to do for a number of reasons.

I’m pretty sure that there is nothing here that either of them want to write home to Momma about. I am
Disappointed in both, and frankly at this stage in the sewage it really makes no difference whose shit smells worse.

Funny. I think Mack's suspension without pay for 6 games probably amounts to more than the 10k Dino has to pay.

Edited to add that yes, yes it is. By quite a bit.

"As the suspension is without pay, Mack will forfeit approximately $221,000 in compensation, just shy of the automatic $250,000 raise he received after last season."

I think Mack comes out of this situation looking worse than Dino. Sure, Dino comes off looking unsmart, but Mack looks like a real shit head.

Yeah, but Dino's now largely unemployable in college basketball, even for TV. I'll venture to say this isn't the end of possible fallout for Mack.

Funny. I think Mack's suspension without pay for 6 games probably amounts to more than the 10k Dino has to pay.

A lot more. Mack makes $4 million a year. 6 games is about 20% of the season. Using that formula, Mack is out $800K. Even if the pay reduction is half that, Mack is out $400K. Clown show.

https://www.si.com/college/2021/08/27/louisville-dino-gaudio-chris-mack-meeting-extortion

Chris Mack: Why didn’t you say anything?

DG: Now you tell me you’re not renewing my contract?

CM: Why didn’t you say anything?

DG: I don’t want to be here. So you know what you’re doing? You’re going to f---ing pay me. Between me and you, dude, you can go tell Vince ‘Hey Vince’—I don’t care what the f--- you tell him—‘Vince, Dino’s my guy. I’m going to pay him for his year and a half. He can retire at 66. I’m going to take care of him.’ That’s what we can do. And you know what? That’s what we’re going to do. Or else I’m going to f---ing John Carns, I’m going to f---ing [Louisville Courier-Journal columnist] Tim Sullivan. I’m going to [Jay] Bilas, [Dick] Vitale, [Fran] Fraschilla—all those f---ing guys. That’s the way this is going to f---ing go down, dude. That’s the way this is going to f---ing go down.

I f---ing helped you get [a former Louisville player]. You didn’t know who f---ing [the player] was until I came back and Pat [Kelsey] told me. I helped you with frickin’ [two other players]—are you f----ing s----ing me?

CM: I know, Dino.

DG: You’re right, this is a hard conversation. You’re right. And you know what? You better think about it. You better think long and hard about it. I don’t want to f---ing be here now—you said that to me.

CM: I know. I know.

DG: So here’s what you’re going to do. This stays right here between me and you for about, mmm, 24 hours. You go tell that f---ing toad over there, Vince Tyra, ‘Dino’s my guy; I gotta take care of him. I want to pay him for a year.’ O.K.? Then none of this s--- f---ing happens. Got it?

CM: Dino.

I think Mack comes out of this situation looking worse than Dino. Sure, Dino comes off looking unsmart, but Mack looks like a real shit head.

Except that Mack will continue to be employable as a basketball coach. Dino may be able to coach middle schoolers.

Back