• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Dino Gaudio charged with extortion

Not a lawyer but pretty sure this has to be low down on the list of things the feds are going to worry about. He was pissed and spouting of and didn't really do anything other than spout off at the mouth. He's probably not going to jail may plead to something, and will not work in college athletics again. Also he's made plenty of money and more than most people will so unless he was stupid with it he won't be depending on a 401K or SS to live pretty well from here on out.

Not a lawyer but pretty sure this has to be low down on the list of things the feds are going to worry about. He was pissed and spouting of and didn't really do anything other than spout off at the mouth. He's probably not going to jail may plead to something, and will not work in college athletics again. Also he's made plenty of money and more than most people will so unless he was stupid with it he won't be depending on a 401K or SS to live pretty well from here on out.

Oh, you would be amazed.

How can I be expected to keep up with all the NCAA tourney beatdowns we've experienced over the years?

Hah. This is great. We always play like we are tight, nervous and scared. Even with Chris Paul, we labored and it did not look like fun for our guys.

It’s been so long, I had forgotten what it felt like to get beat down in the tournament or sneak by in round 1.

As for Dino, you are the 2 seed in the ACC tourney and get smacked by Maryland in round 1. That would have been a good year to make the semis, or finals. Sigh.

Dino. Massive small man complex. He rubbed many people at Wake Forest, both inside and outside the AD, the wrong way. Basically, Dino was a douche who became a bigger douche after the extension. I don’t doubt he’s changed since his departure from Wake Forest.

He shouldn’t have been given an extension. He was bringing in talented kids with personal issues and he wasn’t coaching them off the court in the way that Skip did. He is as much to blame for the total program implosion that occurred under Bz as Bz.

He deserved to be fired. We deserved a better replacement.

First let’s get serious. Odom debate >>>>>>>>>>>> Dino debate. It’s a joke really. Dino 1 Hail Mary post season win with a stack of acct failures.

I’m sure dinos terms for his by out kept him quite and his lawyer probably had something in for wake.

Sure this proves nothing about his time at wake unless you believe that moral character is pretty constant across your life time.

Yes the media talking heads would point to his ACC record when comparing to the next two idiots we hired but the best he could parlay that into was and asst coach after 10 years ? Please.

To set the record straight, Wellman hired Gaudio as the permanent head coach because that's what the fanbase in mourning wanted. Those of us who wanted an interim hire and a full coaching search were few and far between. The sentimental move has been holding our program back ever since.

This was one of the few topics on the Wake boards that was a third rail you really couldn't touch. There were really two camps, the sentimental group and the 'keep the recruiting class group', which amounted to the same thing. All others were in an extreme minority.

The keeping the recruiting class together deal never works when trying to decide the fate of the coach. If the school goes this route you just end up having another crappy year.

Really? People were fine with Dino getting let go, it was the hire. In retrospect, if our options were [Redacted] or Dino, firing Dino was so dumb.

This was one of the few topics on the Wake boards that was a third rail you really couldn't touch. There were really two camps, the sentimental group and the 'keep the recruiting class group', which amounted to the same thing. All others were in an extreme minority.

The interim vs. permanent argument will go on forever. The AT&T class had some of the highest ranked players in Wake history. So keeping those guys and adding them to the Teague, Johnson, Ish group looked like the makings of a really good team.

There were really three drivers for hiring one of Skip's assistants.

1. Sentimental.
2. Recruiting class
3. Lack of other options in July.

Wake coaching staff also had Jeff Battle's wife's medical situation to deal with that summer. If my memory serves, Jeff was first choice to succeed Skip, but he didn't want that level of responsibility while dealing with his family issues. WFU basketball would be very different if Jeff had been able to say yes.

I have my fantasy that if Jeff Battle had been able to say yes, the conversations about basketball would have been much different. Like "can he get to the elite eight or final four this year?"

My understanding was that several coaches tried to poach our recruits after Skip died. Seth Greenberg (then at Va Tech) made a public statement that they should lay off. At the same time, he was politicking to be Skip's replacement.

If Jeff Battle was as great as people think he is, he’d be a head coach by now.

Interim then hire a new coach was the right call regardless of who the interim was.

My understanding was that several coaches tried to poach our recruits after Skip died. Seth Greenberg (then at Va Tech) made a public statement that they should lay off. At the same time, he was politicking to be Skip's replacement.

Gottfried. Another sleezeball.

If Jeff Battle was as great as people think he is, he’d be a head coach by now.

Not necessarily. Didn't his wife's death leave him a single parent of a teenager? Understandable that he wouldn't have wanted a D-1 HC lifestyle under those circumstances. I think he has only interviewed for jobs pretty recently, so the timing makes sense. We have all met lots of very able people that don't aspire to be the head honcho because they value family time.

Back