• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Future OOC Football Schedules (Updated with ACC games through 2026)

At least we're getting Liberty after Willis is gone. He's getting a lot of love from the draftniks and could go in the 1st.

I'd be shocked if No Ill gets played. I think it has already been bumped/rescheduled about 47 times.

I get it, and everyone does it, but sacrificing interesting regular season games for an uninteresting bowl in a 2/3 empty stadium in December doesn't seem like a great model.

And again against a program that cheated against us gave the cheater a slap on the wrist.

I really think the goal of getting wins OOC to continue to go to bowl games is the right path. It’s less sexy, but as fun as the trips to Nebraska, Ole Miss, etc. have been, the seasons we are 4-0 before league play are way more fun.

This attitude astonishes me. FWIW, WF won at Ole Miss and won at Baylor when they had RGIII. WF beat Stanford at home when they had Oliver Luck, and WF should've beaten Nebraska at home in the hottest game ever played at Groves. Those games get prime TV slots, attract fans and recruits. I'm not saying WF should play at tOSU and at Bama on a regular basis, but every 3 or 4 years or so sprinkle in a game that drives interest and creates attention for the program. WF has proven to be more than competitive in those games, and it's playing in those games that elevates the program more than playing Temple in the Armed Forces Bowl (which WF would likely qualify for anyway even if it loses a marquee game every once in a while, and when you win one of those games, you get ranked and other games get televised).

Nothing says LOWF more than its own fans being happy with a Vandy, Western Carolina, ODU, Army schedule. Barf. WF starts 4-0. So what?

I'll drive to Groves to watch us play Nebraska/Ole Miss/etc. Not driving to see ODU/WCU/Liberty

and here are the teams we should never entertain playing in any sport ever, unless drawn against them in NCAA play:

Maryland because fuck Maryland
Liberty because same general sentiment, albeit for different reasons
Army for wakeyleaks and because enough is enough already
UConn - I mean they sued the ACC, and they suck

finally, while I am not necessarily thrilled with home games vs. AFA and N Illinois, it is disappointing that WF apparently structured those contracts with too much wiggle room, causing us to play at their places without the negotiated returns.

Last edited:
This attitude astonishes me. FWIW, WF won at Ole Miss and won at Baylor when they had RGIII. WF beat Stanford at home when they had Oliver Luck, and WF should've beaten Nebraska at home in the hottest game ever played at Groves. Those games get prime TV slots, attract fans and recruits. I'm not saying WF should play at tOSU and at Bama on a regular basis, but every 3 or 4 years or so sprinkle in a game that drives interest and creates attention for the program. WF has proven to be more than competitive in those games, and it's playing in those games that elevates the program more than playing Temple in the Armed Forces Bowl (which WF would likely qualify for anyway even if it loses a marquee game every once in a while, and when you win one of those games, you get ranked and other games get televised).

Nothing says LOWF more than its own fans being happy with a Vandy, Western Carolina, ODU, Army schedule. Barf. WF starts 4-0. So what?

Andrew Luck. How soon we forget.

Good post. Going 4-0 by travelling to Boone or Richmond or Lynchburg in order to hopefully play mid-tier P5 team in a bowl doesn't make much sense compared to just scheduling a P5 team straight up.

Good post. Also agree with others, the fixation with scheduling Army has worn thin.

A lot of extra preparation involved when playing service academies. Cut blocking etc.

Key is as long as it does not rain, or there are wind gusts, we usually throw the ball through the air well vs. service academies, IIRC.

I disagree. I’d rather get tested before going into league play. It’s not great to go 4-0 hoping to get 3 more wins.

This. Going 4-0 against Elon, Norfolk State, Liberty and Western Carolina means absolutely nothing. It will be a rude awakening once the team has to play real competition. Looks like we're trying to schedule three scrubs and at least one real opponent each year.

The ACC requires that each school play at least one OOC game against a Power 5 conference. The ACC adopted that rule in lieu of playing a 9 game conference schedule (like the Big 10, Pac 12 and Big 12). So, WF has to play one "real" OOC opponent, if you count Vandy as a "real" opponent. Also, FBS schools can't count more than one FCS game to qualify for a bowl. So, WF has to play at least 3 BCS opponents. For the two OOC games that aren't an FCS or Power V opponent, WF looks to play as crappy as opponent as possible, like UCONN or ODU who are technically BCS teams. I get it. The rigors of a 12 game schedule require prudence when scheduling. Even so, there would be a net benefit to playing a high profile OOC home and home every so often. Some of the best all-time WF football memories have come in those games.

Last edited:
I mean we are still playing about the same number of marquee non conference games the difference is about 60% of them are now ND.

And what's the deal with the Air Force and northern Illinois contracts? Can these schools just indefinitely defer playing us till the end of time?

Last edited:
I think the speculation on Army--that it raises money from lots of NYC/NJ alumni that enjoy the boat ride up the Hudson--is spot on. I understand not wanting to leave money on the table, but it's time to move on from this series, at least for a while. Re-up again in ten years or so if we just can't live without a trip to Michie Stadium every other season.

we have less than 75k living alumni, how many can possibly be local to West Point? how many of those would give substantially less w/out that game?

I prefer not to play teams that wear any variation of black/gold. Definitely hate playing Vandy because of that as well as the mascot similarity. It's like being forced to hang out w/ your boring cousin at the family reunion.

Suspect that WF will continue to play Army frequently since Mike Buddie is the Army AD.

Friends in meh places.

we should have more frequent games versus SEC and the Big, that is real football. My greatest sports memory from Wake was the Auburn game. Even more so than later winning the ACC in both football and basketball. Why? Because I was there and the game was absolutely electric.

Back