• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Future OOC Football Schedules (Updated with ACC games through 2026)

Part of this out of conference scheduling is about keeping the bowl string going. And continuing to get the 20 additional practices that go with selection to bowls.

Also a recruiting pitch, "Our senior class went to a bowl game every year. We think you can do the same. Lok at some of the swag they got." Don't underestimate the value of "toys" in a 15-18 year old guy's eyes.

Yes, I’ve continually maintained on these boards that we don’t value bowls enough given how rarely we’ve gone to them. Increasingly I do see the argument of just creating your own bowl by scheduling a big ten or SEC team. But the lure of making a bowl every year is strong for me because it’s an unusual feeling. Maybe I will get tired of it if we actually have a long string, but I need to see how that feels first.

Over the long term of football we are bowl starved, and in the short term of basketball we are March Madness starved, and for me priority one in both programs is to rectify those issues. Those are the building blocks for future success in my view.

Yes, I’ve continually maintained on these boards that we don’t value bowls enough given how rarely we’ve gone to them. Increasingly I do see the argument of just creating your own bowl by scheduling a big ten or SEC team. But the lure of making a bowl every year is strong for me because it’s an unusual feeling. Maybe I will get tired of it if we actually have a long string, but I need to see how that feels first.

Over the long term of football we are bowl starved, and in the short term of basketball we are March Madness starved, and for me priority one in both programs is to rectify those issues. Those are the building blocks for future success in my view.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. And people discount the extra practices and selling point of bowls to recruits.

Agree with this wholeheartedly. And people discount the extra practices and selling point of bowls to recruits.

The “extra practices” point is repeated so fucking often on this board and everybody thinks it’s a novel idea. Everybody knows it’s good. Nobody is discounting that it’s good to make bowls.

It’s possible to understand why we are scheduling like this but still being really fucking annoyed that we play liberty and army over and over again. Give us some fun road games and not the same shit over and over again.

Yeah. If our program is in good shape, we can play good opponents and make bowls.

Outside of their own fans, nobody gives a shit if Wake plays Michigan St in September. But more people pay attention when Wake and Michigan St play in December in Yankee Stadium.

Outside of their own fans, nobody gives a shit if Wake plays Michigan St in September. But more people pay attention when Wake and Michigan St play in December in Yankee Stadium.

I guess that's why WF/MSU had the smallest crowd in Pinstripe Bowl history.

That’s weird since we supposedly have this massive NY fanbase we have to appease by playing at West Point every few years.

I'm sure it was in the very illustrious history of the Pinstripe Bowl. It was also very well attended by Wake fans. MSU fans didn't impress crowd wise.

But 3.8 million people watched it on TV. I doubt Wake has nearly that many viewers during a regular season game. For example, only 2.4 million watched the Wake-Notre Dame game in 2018

It doesn’t have to be an either/or. Our program is at a point where we can have a decent OOC game and a decent bowl. We don’t have to have an exceptionally shitty OOC schedule in order to make a bowl.

I'm okay with scheduling certain Coastal teams as OOC games, whether it be VT, UNC, or UVA. All those are easy road trips and traditional rivals (one more than the others). Maybe alternate among the 3.

I'll drive to Groves to watch us play Nebraska/Ole Miss/etc. Not driving to see ODU/WCU/Liberty

and here are the teams we should never entertain playing in any sport ever, unless drawn against them in NCAA play:

Maryland because fuck Maryland
Liberty because same general sentiment, albeit for different reasons
Army for wakeyleaks and because enough is enough already
UConn - I mean they sued the ACC, and they suck

finally, while I am not necessarily thrilled with home games vs. AFA and N Illinois, it is disappointing that WF apparently structured those contracts with too much wiggle room, causing us to play at their places without the negotiated returns.

This is where I am with additional emphasis on Liberty. We should not be legitimizing that cesspool.

In terms of driving distance and appeal of spending a weekend in the area, I'd prefer a trip to Coastal Carolina and the nearby beaches over Norfolk, Lynchburg, Greenville, Storrs, and Lafayette.

Don’t think we’d want to do this again, but back in the mid 70’s we played an unbelievable lineup of OOC teams - Penn State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Texas. Yeah, we got crushed, but nobody could say we were trying to pad our schedule.

We played some of them pretty tough in the first half, but we always played them early when it was hot. This was also before limits.

When they got back from Nebraska I asked some of the guys what was the difference between their 1st string and their 3rd string (they dressed 120),
and they told me the 3rd string was half a step slower. That could have been the 4th string, not sure which.

Last edited:
I'd rather have a decent OOC home and home than a schedule that gives us a better chance of making some lame bowl that is a disappointment for our opponent.

In 2018 we beat Tulane, Towson, Rice, Louisville, NC State and Duke to earn a bid to the Birmingham Bowl and play fucking Memphis. We also had our asses handed to us by Clemson and Notre Dame at home, so it was a "great" home schedule year.

Fuck that shit. Get us a home and home with Auburn.

Back