• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Future OOC Football Schedules (Updated with ACC games through 2026)

In 2018 we beat Tulane, Towson, Rice, Louisville, NC State and Duke to earn a bid to the Birmingham Bowl and play fucking Memphis. We also had our asses handed to us by Clemson and Notre Dame at home, so it was a "great" home schedule year.

Fuck that shit. Get us a home and home with Auburn.

Jay Venuto ain't walking thru that door.

Find it hard to believe that anyone in the fanbase would be happy with essentially playing the same schedule every year and never taking an occasional shot at a high profile OOC game. Not every season, but mix in a high profile home and home every decade. Also, the idea that by playing a tough OOC game would nix WF's bowl eligibility is not correct. First, WF could win the OOC game (which would further raise WF's bowl profile), and most years, including years when WF plays ND, WF qualifies for a bowl anyway.

FWIW, I would like to see the OOC schedule toughened up. You don't improve by playing patsies. Was it Skip that said "you don't get sharp teeth by eating oatmeal"?

Not every season, but mix in a high profile home and home every decade.

Do Notre Dame & Ole Miss not meet this stipulation?

Maybe not and I get that. And there are certainly teams we are playing over the next decade that I’m not excited about. But I love winning and I love bowl speculation/making travel plans, and I just think we need to establish a winning football culture. That goes a long way in recruiting, which builds a foundation that frankly we are behind in building compared to nearly every one of our P5 peers. How many winning seasons do we even have over the last 100 years? Let’s begin (continue) by starting (continuing) to rectify that.

But I can appreciate both sides of this debate.

Notre Dame versus its obligitory ACC schedule is considered cannon fodder and it plays out that way every year.

Ole Miss could be really good in a couple of years under Lane. They were actually good when the deal was signed in 2014. They went 9-4 under Hugh Freeze in a stacked SEC West.

I too would like to see the military academies eliminated or at least greatly scaled back. Lots of "I'm not excited about ___ team" makes we wonder how many NCAA fans would really be excited about playing Wake Forest. Are we just another Army or Navy but too blinded to see it? I'd love to see a Texas or Florida on the schedule but would they be excited to play us. Just a question, don't beat me up :)

I too would like to see the military academies eliminated or at least greatly scaled back. Lots of "I'm not excited about ___ team" makes we wonder how many NCAA fans would really be excited about playing Wake Forest. Are we just another Army or Navy but too blinded to see it? I'd love to see a Texas or Florida on the schedule but would they be excited to play us. Just a question, don't beat me up :)

we are absolutely another Army or Navy to the elite programs - Texas and Florida are not coming to Groves/BB&T/Truist.

Texas and Florida would love to play us for their homecoming game. Neither are coming to Winston-Salem.

Another observation. I hear consistently that we want to win championships. That's fantastic. To be applauded. But, if we're going to win championships, shouldn't we be playing an OOC opponent at the championship level on occasion?

we are absolutely another Army or Navy to the elite programs - Texas and Florida are not coming to Groves/BB&T/Truist.

I would imagine the "how does playing WF benefit our program" mentality extends beyond just elite programs. S.Carolina & Tennessee were both mentioned in previous post about preferred opponents. Neither is elite but they both have more to lose than gain by playing WF.

Scheduling a good WF team is probably difficult

We should go full religious zealots with our OOC. BYU-Liberty-Oral Roberts-Notre Dame

Can't see Army being removed from our OOC schedule anytime soon with former Deacon Mike Buddie as the athletic Director.

Army #24 in TSNs pre-season

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-rankings-top-25-alabama-clemson-ohio-state/m6gbiea8dvjr15gqedl1vo7xj

24. Army
Jeff Monken's name continues to pop up in the coaching carousel, but a Power 5 program hasn't been willing to bite yet. That's good news for the Black Knights, who return their top five rushers from an offense that averaged 273.0 rushing yards per game. Monken has brought consistency to West Point. Army's schedule is set up for a fast start, and October matchups against Wisconsin and Wake Forest will get attention. The Nov. 27 matchup at Liberty, another independent that could be ranked by then, will have interesting bowl implications.

Last edited:
We might induce some better teams to come to W-S if we still had grass. Without it we don't have much to offer.

Some clueless responses here.

WF doesn’t and wouldn’t have a hard time scheduling home and homes with many Power 5 programs. That’s how and why WF played a home and home with Nebraska and Ole Miss. These days Liberty, ODU and Troy are getting home and home dates. Wild to me that it’s our fan base that perpetuates LOWF.

Bama just played a H&H with Duke so it’s possible. I, too, would like to see some new blood on the schedule but that doesn’t have to mean unbeatable teams. Tennessee, SC, Kentucky, WVU, etc. would all be good with me and are all pretty close.

I like that list. We can do a lot better with G5 opponents in terms of location. USF, UCF, and FIU would be good trips since we rarely play Miami and aren't likely to make it to Tampa or Orlando for bowls. Georgia State could put us back in Atlanta regularly. It's about time to go ahead and play Charlotte. Somebody already mentioned Coastal Carolina.

Remember when we played Stanford and Baylor? Would it be hard to throw in an SMU or a Cal or a Coastal Carolina or Northwestern or UCLA? I think we have tried to do this with Purdue and Ole Miss, but there is a balance between the cupcakes that get us to 6 wins and the games that are interesting and challenging.

Thumbs down on the Florida directional schools.

And those are definite Ls. I want to see an upgrade in OOC scheduling, but we can and should schedule teams we have a chance to beat.

Every year, Wake should schedule at least one of these schools:
SEC- Tennessee, South Carolina, Vandy, Arkansas, Mississippi, Mississippi St
Big 12- Baylor, Iowa St, Ok St, Texas Tech, West Va.

And then occasionally (every 5 years or so)
Big 10- Illinois, Iowa, Michigan St, Minnesota, Nebraska, Purdue
Pac 12- Arizona, Arizona St, Cal, UCLA, Colorado, Oregon St, Stanford, Stanford, Utah, Washington

Back