• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Future OOC Football Schedules (Updated with ACC games through 2026)

Some clueless responses here.

WF doesn’t and wouldn’t have a hard time scheduling home and homes with many Power 5 programs. That’s how and why WF played a home and home with Nebraska and Ole Miss. These days Liberty, ODU and Troy are getting home and home dates. Wild to me that it’s our fan base that perpetuates LOWF.

Both teams you cite are from well over a decade ago. Come on. Labeling responses as "clueless" with such thin evidence to the contrary? Maybe some wishful thinking. There are outliers for sure. Yes, Bama played Duke H&H. But to think this is going to be a consistent pattern? I beg to differ.

As I recall the Nebraska series was a bit of a lucky circumstance as they had a sudden need for a series when we were available

I believe there is a tier of P5 programs not willing to schedule H&H with WF as they don't see an upside - if they win, they should have, and if they lose, it's a killer, and all for playing in front of 35,000 on the road at most

I’ve had a recurring dream of one day playing UCLA in the Rose Bowl👍

Duke's non-conference going forward- Northwestern, Kansas, TCU, Notre Dame, and then AAC/Sunbelt/Conf USA/FCS teams
State Miss. State, Texas Tech, Cincy, BYU, Florida, ND, South Carolina and then the bottom feeders
UNC- Wake, South CArolina, TCU, Purdue, Minnesota, and then the bottom feeders
Syracuse- Rutgers, Purdue, ND, Army, and then bottom feeders
BC- Missouri, ND, Michigan State, Cincy, Rutgers, Stanford, Ohio State (this one seems notably better than Wake)
Miami- Alabama, TAMU, Michigan State, Florida, ND

Outside of the ACC
TCU- Cal, Colorado, Stanford, UNC, Duke, Purdue
NW- Duke, Colorado and bottom feeders
Vandy- Stanford, Hawaii, Wake, VT, NCSU, Purdue, Stanford
Stanford- Kansas State, Vandy, ND, BYU, TCU, BC

Posted for information purposes and without any specific thought on what Wake should or shouldn't do for scheduling.

Both teams you cite are from well over a decade ago. Come on. Labeling responses as "clueless" with such thin evidence to the contrary? Maybe some wishful thinking. There are outliers for sure. Yes, Bama played Duke H&H. But to think this is going to be a consistent pattern? I beg to differ.

Wallace Wade has history with both Duke and Alabama. Otherwise, there is no way Alabama is playing a road game in Durham.

And those are definite Ls. I want to see an upgrade in OOC scheduling, but we can and should schedule teams we have a chance to beat.

Texas lost to teams like Maryland, Baylor, TCU, and West Virginia under Herman. They're not exactly unbeatable.

Wallace Wade has history with both Duke and Alabama. Otherwise, there is no way Alabama is playing a road game in Durham.

Also, that series was signed under the previous Alabama coaching staff (Mike Shula, I believe), and when it was time for Alabama to visit Duke 4 years later, they tried to get them to move the game to Atlanta or Charlotte (which would have resulted in a lot more money for Duke) but Cutcliffe declined.

Nick Saban isn't signing up to come to Durham (or Winston-Salem, or probably any other NC city) for a road game anytime soon.

Last edited:

BC and WF are comparable programs. Private schools. Not a huge natural fanbase. Both play on turf (that was a crazy ground to claim schools wouldn't play WF). WF has had a better run recently. BC and WF should have comparable ability to schedule OOC opponents. Here is a sample of BC home and home OOC opponents over the next 10 years:

Michigan State
Ohio State
Missouri
Stanford

Duke home and home OOC opponents:

Illinois
TCU
Kansas

Pitt home and home OOC opponents:

Tennessee
Wisconsin

Charlotte (yes, Charlotte) home and home opponents:

Maryland
Ole Miss
Duke
UNC
NC State

Georgia Tech

Ole Miss
Colorado
Bama

Among others home and homes:

South Carolina and ECU
Oklahoma and Temple (2 for 1)
Iowa State and Tulane
Mississippi State and Tulane
Oklahoma State and Tulsa

Just cannot stand it when our fans don't think that other Power V schools would play WF. That is just divorced from reality, when WF was willing to take that step in the 2000s, WF played Baylor, Stanford, Ole Miss and Indiana (those opportunities haven't suddenly disappeared). Again, not saying the every Power V school is eager to schedule a home and home with WF, but opportunities are out there for WF to do it. The idea that Charlotte, Pitt or BC or Duke is better positioned to schedule home and homes is simply incorrect.

Last edited:
As I recall the Nebraska series was a bit of a lucky circumstance as they had a sudden need for a series when we were available

I believe there is a tier of P5 programs not willing to schedule H&H with WF as they don't see an upside - if they win, they should have, and if they lose, it's a killer, and all for playing in front of 35,000 on the road at most

Similar to arguments against playing App St, with which I disagree. But your point stands - some PF schools don't want to schedule H&H with Wake.

So if we could easily line up a non-conference schedule full of all manner of eager P5 schools, but we don't.... That must mean we don't want to. Not sure which is worse.

I just don't think many of the schools we would like to play H&H would do it. Decades of being a WFU fan have taught me that all the stuff that applies to other schools just doesn't work the same way for us. Everything is just harder for WFU. What I really want to know is how much of this harder is self-inflicted.

harlotte (yes, Charlotte) home and home opponents:

Maryland
Ole Miss
Duke
UNC
NC State

Curious as to which of these "home" games are actually at Richardson Stadium vs. Bank of America. Kudos to these teams if they're wiling to play on the UNCC field, but if its at BofA and particularly for the Triangle teams, that will essentially be a home game for them ,esp. UNC and NCSU which have massive alumni and fan bases in the metro area. Plus, the NC teams incl. Wake heavily recruit the Charlotte area.

harlotte (yes, Charlotte) home and home opponents:

Maryland
Ole Miss
Duke
UNC
NC State

Curious as to which of these "home" games are actually at Richardson Stadium vs. Bank of America. Kudos to these teams if they're wiling to play on the UNCC field, but if its at BofA and particularly for the Triangle teams, that will essentially be a home game for them ,esp. UNC and NCSU which have massive alumni and fan bases in the metro area. Plus, the NC teams incl. Wake heavily recruit the Charlotte area.

To my knowledge, none of them are currently scheduled for Bank of America Stadium (in fact, Duke's visit is scheduled for this year). I'm sure some of these schools signed the deals thinking (hoping?) that Charlotte would have expanded their stadium by the time their visit comes around, but for now, none of them are scheduled for BofA Stadium. Now, the Charlotte Sports Foundation has been setting up more-and-more early-season neutral site games recently (including a massive Georgia/Clemson matchup this Labor Day), so if they start throwing some money around, perhaps Charlotte will change their mind about the site of some of these return matchups.

Just announced a H&H with Georgia State in ‘29 and ‘30. Sure y’all will love that!

Also, that series was signed under the previous Alabama coaching staff (Mike Shula, I believe), and when it was time for Alabama to visit Duke 4 years later, they tried to get them to move the game to Alabama or Charlotte (which would have resulted in a lot more money for Duke) but Cutcliffe declined.

Nick Saban isn't signing up to come to Durham (or Winston-Salem, or probably any other NC city) for a road game anytime soon.

He should think about it though. I certainly enjoyed the last matchup they had in Durham. Shoutout to Mark Ingram for his 151 yards on 9 carries.

Just announced a H&H with Georgia State in ‘29 and ‘30. Sure y’all will love that!

Good to see the AD has been reading my posts. Appreciate the quick turnaround.

I like that list. We can do a lot better with G5 opponents in terms of location. USF, UCF, and FIU would be good trips since we rarely play Miami and aren't likely to make it to Tampa or Orlando for bowls. Georgia State could put us back in Atlanta regularly. It's about time to go ahead and play Charlotte. Somebody already mentioned Coastal Carolina.

Nice work, Ph. Can you put a good word in for @Hawaii?

Heard on the radio today that some FCS and lower FBS schools are considering not taking "pay" games. The stated reason is they don't want to give the P5 schools direct opportunity to scout their players for possible transfer now that the transfer rules have been loosened up.

Comment was that budget time might get them to rethink that position.

Exactly.

Look, I think Wake can schedule some Power 5 schools and should. But, this notion that Texas and Alabama are coming to Truist/Groves Field on any regular basis is absolute fantasy.

I do think we can schedule a Purdue, Indiana or perhaps pickup an Ole Miss on occasion and should try to do so. But calling people "clueless" because they don't think the Florida Gators are coming to Groves is borderline delusional.

Last edited:
So if we could easily line up a non-conference schedule full of all manner of eager P5 schools, but we don't.... That must mean we don't want to. Not sure which is worse.

I just don't think many of the schools we would like to play H&H would do it. Decades of being a WFU fan have taught me that all the stuff that applies to other schools just doesn't work the same way for us. Everything is just harder for WFU. What I really want to know is how much of this harder is self-inflicted.

Excellent post.

I think Ga State could be a pretty good team by then. They’re located in an ideal place for recruiting talent and they have a nice stadium since they took over the former Olympic stadium/Turner Field. If Ga State football was a stock, I’d buy it.

Back