• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Future OOC Football Schedules (Updated with ACC games through 2026)

I think Ga State could be a pretty good team by then. They’re located in an ideal place for recruiting talent and they have a nice stadium since they took over the former Olympic stadium/Turner Field. If Ga State football was a stock, I’d buy it.

Makes you wonder why Georgia Tech sucks ass.

I’ve never spent a second of my life thinking about Georgia State, in college football or any other context. Apart from the Georgia recruiting angle, doesn’t totally make sense to me to schedule a no name team that evidently is on the rise. If they end up being good, they will still be a sort of no-name team, so any victory doesn’t register much but becomes that much more difficult to accomplish.

To me, any good team we play should have some sort of name or history that matters to the media and to recruits. But maybe these are the only schools saying yes to us. And maybe Georgia State won’t even be good.

ODU might be a similar comparison. But again, recruiting.

I’ve never spent a second of my life thinking about Georgia State, in college football or any other context. Apart from the Georgia recruiting angle, doesn’t totally make sense to me to schedule a no name team that evidently is on the rise. If they end up being good, they will still be a sort of no-name team, so any victory doesn’t register much but becomes that much more difficult to accomplish.

To me, any good team we play should have some sort of name or history that matters to the media and to recruits. But maybe these are the only schools saying yes to us. And maybe Georgia State won’t even be good.

ODU might be a similar comparison. But again, recruiting.

I can see the ODU game, because, as noted, recruiting the Virginia tidewater area. ODU is the biggest school in that area.

GA State is at best, a very poor third in the state. Conference rotation gets Wake to GaTech every so often. I would prefer scheduling GaTech "non-conference" instead of GA State.

I like that the Ga State game gets us in the state when we want and it can augment the ACC-GT schedule. I'd be OK with GT as non-conf game, too.

It is amazing that GT had the NFL WR's come out of that program while running the option (Calvin Johnson, DeMaryius Thomas). If Reggie Ball was any good at all, Wake/Grobe would not have that ACC Championship. But we do!

I think of the recruiting games as investments in the program. These games should improve our talent so we can get to the next level. So we have recruiting games (ODU, Ga State), alumni games (Army, Ole Miss bc alumni like going to The Grove), similar school games (Vandy), winnable P5 games who'll schedule us. There are some head-scratchers still, but I like that we have a plan and I think it's a good one.

FWIW, Vandy and UNC have also scheduled home and homes with GA State. Given that GT is in the other ACC division, meaning that WF rarely plays in Atlanta as the result of the 14 school ACC, I can see some benefit to scheduling one game in GA over the next 9 seasons to allow WF alums and recruits in the area to see the Deacs. BTW, the game @ GA State will be played in 2030. The true freshman playing in that game (HS class of 2030) are currently in the third grade. A lot can happen in college football (and the world) over the next 9 years; so, I would put that game in pencil on the WF 2030 schedule.

Do enough alumni attend road games to really make it worth scheduling them? At most of the road games I've attended, there have only been very small numbers of Wake fans.

My preference is a ninth conference game, a strong power conference opponent, a regional secondary bowl opponent and a patsy. Adding that extra conference game would allow Wake to play almost every ACC team every couple of years. Playing conference opponents once every 4-6 years is just plain stupid.

Do enough alumni attend road games to really make it worth scheduling them? At most of the road games I've attended, there have only been very small numbers of Wake fans.

So, kinda like home games then ?

My preference is a ninth conference game, a strong power conference opponent, a regional secondary bowl opponent and a patsy. Adding that extra conference game would allow Wake to play almost every ACC team every couple of years. Playing conference opponents once every 4-6 years is just plain stupid.

Same. I don't remember the stated reason, but I presume we only play 8 so teams can fit in their rivalry game and ND without sacrificing a second winnable game.

9 conference games, 1 rivalry/P5 game, 1 G5 (App, ODU, ECU, or other southern team), 1 local FCS (A&T, Elon, etc) would be ideal.

Some in the ACC were pushing for a 9th conference game, but Clemson and FSU nixed it. Those two teams play SEC teams every year to close the season (as does GT and L'ville), and a 9th conference game would likely force them to give up the additional big-time OOC game that Clemson (and FSU when they mattered) likes to play (e.g., UGA, Texas A&M, LSU in 2025-6). Instead of a ninth ACC game, every ACC team is now required to play at least one Power V school of their 4 OOC games.

Clemson football has carried the ACC for almost a decade (and FSU carried the ACC before that); so, the ACC gave up on the idea of a 9th game to avoid getting Clemson and FSU pissed. FWIW, the SEC powers have done the same when it has been suggested that the SEC plays 9 games. It's part of gaming the system to make it more likely that Clemson and SEC schools make the BCS. It might help if the BCS expanded to 8 teams as that would guarantee that every Power 5 conference champion got in the tournament.

I was wondering the same thing. The road games that I have attended, the only Wake fans that are there are player's parents and a smattering of others pulling for the Deacs. On the other hand, the Bowl Games have been greatly attended by Deacons.

I was wondering the same thing. The road games that I have attended, the only Wake fans that are there are player's parents and a smattering of others pulling for the Deacs. On the other hand, the Bowl Games have been greatly attended by Deacons.

Yeah especially the NYC alum base for the Army game. Feel like that’s really stretching it.

Yeah. Feels like that’s appeasing a few big time donors.

I just think in general New Yorkers don’t give a shit about CFB unless you went to like Michigan or something

I just think in general New Yorkers don’t give a shit about CFB unless you went to like Michigan or something

I think it has a lot to do with where the games are. Decent city, I am in. Monroe, LA, no thanks. Not worth the drive or $ to fly.

I expect the reason the game @ Army is attractive is because people can throw in a long weekend in NYC and then schmooze while they ride the boat up to West Point. I'm betting that game draws lots of WF alumni from all over the East coast, not just NY/NJ.

I expect the reason the game @ Army is attractive is because people can throw in a long weekend in NYC and then schmooze while they ride the boat up to West Point. I'm betting that game draws lots of WF alumni from all over the East coast, not just NY/NJ.

I went when we played them in 1999. Granted that was over 20 years ago but there was not a huge number of Wake fans there.

It was a great weekend. Went to Yankee Stadium the night before to see Yankees and Red Sox. When Pedro Martinez pitched an amazing game, "Pedro Martínez again came close to a perfect game on September 10, 1999, when he beat the New York Yankees, 3–1. He faced just 28 batters while striking out 17 and walking none (Martínez hit the Yankees' first batter, Chuck Knoblauch, but he was then caught stealing). Only a solo home run by Chili Davis separated Martínez from a no-hitter. The Davis home run came in the second inning, eliminating any suspense, but sportswriter Thomas Boswell called it the best game ever pitched at Yankee Stadium. Martinez not only retired the last 22 batters in a row, but over the last 3+2⁄3 innings, (11 batters), Martinez threw an incredible 53 consecutive pitches, without allowing a base runner, and without a single ball being put in play. (9 Strikeouts, 2 foul-ball, pop-fly outs.)"

Back