• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Future OOC Football Schedules (Updated with ACC games through 2026)

for whatever reason, the disappearing ND game has now reappeared. ND now listed as traveling to WF in 2027, along with the rest of these games:

09/04 - Purdue
11/06 - Virginia Tech
TBA - Georgia Tech
TBA - Navy
TBA - at Clemson
TBA - at Duke
TBA - at Michigan State
TBA - at Wake Forest

The future of CFB is so completely murky. Strange that any future games could be scheduled at this point.

The future of CFB is so completely murky. Strange that any future games could be scheduled at this point.

To a point, yes, but programs have to plan for the future. If events materially change (e.g., a different conference affiliation), there is (or should be) language in the agreement between the programs allowing for the game to be cancelled. Also, the agreement always contains a buy-out clause that allows either party to cancel the game or the series for a price. Still waiting for WF to exercise the buy-out clause for the Army games from 2024-27. Agreeing to play Army 7 times in 8 years, is one of the laziest scheduling moves in the history of college football out of conference scheduling. OOC games present a rare opportunity for players and fans to experience a new and different college football environment. Playing the same team so many times as one of your four OOC games a year is so dumb, unless that team is a traditional rival (e.g., FSU/Florida, Clemson/USC, KY/L'ville). Yet, here WF plays Army over and over again...

To a point, yes, but programs have to plan for the future. If events materially change (e.g., a different conference affiliation), there is (or should be) language in the agreement between the programs allowing for the game to be cancelled. Also, the agreement always contains a buy-out clause that allows either party to cancel the game or the series for a price. Still waiting for WF to exercise the buy-out clause for the Army games from 2024-27. Agreeing to play Army 7 times in 8 years, is one of the laziest scheduling moves in the history of college football out of conference scheduling. OOC games present a rare opportunity for players and fans to experience a new and different college football environment. Playing the same team so many times as one of your four OOC games a year is so dumb, unless that team is a traditional rival (e.g., FSU/Florida, Clemson/USC, KY/L'ville). Yet, here WF plays Army over and over again...

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by Wake Forest playing Army. I agree. It is extremely lazy scheduling.

But how will alums within a 4 hour drive of Syracuse and Boston ever watch Wake play on the road?

More importantly, Mike Buddie may be forced to schedule a different ACC or P5 school. The horror!

Since they are independent, I bet Army offered and we agreed. Must have been in a magnanimous mood if not lazy.

There is absolutely nothing to be gained by Wake Forest playing Army. I agree. It is extremely lazy scheduling.

Definitely would benefit us more to play winnable FBS OOC opponents in our region and primary recruiting areas.

USF
UCF
ECU
S Carolina
Old Dominion
JMU
Charlotte
GA State
GA Southern
FIU
FAU
Maryland

Occasionally try to mix in a bigger regional foe like UGA or UT if they'd agree to it.

Definitely would benefit us more to play winnable FBS OOC opponents in our region and primary recruiting areas.

USF
UCF
ECU
S Carolina
Old Dominion
JMU
Charlotte
GA State
GA Southern
FIU
FAU
Maryland

Occasionally try to mix in a bigger regional foe like UGA or UT if they'd agree to it.

It's difficult to get P5 non-conference games because many potential opponents want to play in stadia bigger than Truist Field.

It's difficult to get P5 non-conference games because many potential opponents want to play in stadia bigger than Truist Field.

The occasional neutral field is okay with me. Somehow we got Nebraska and Stanford here and those games were some of the best I've ever been too. Hell even Bama went to Durham.

The hesitation has more to do with getting whipped by us when a game against some lowlife carries no risk. Harbaugh melting down at our place was classic.

Not that hard to get Power V schools to play a home and home.

Stanford
Purdue
Ole Miss
Nebraska
Baylor
Indiana
Vandy

All have. S. Carolina wanted to, but WF declined. It’s up to WF.

Just waiting for those alliance games to hit the schedule.

SC is an ideal non-con opponent. Regional beatable SEC school. I’d love to have them as the P5 or a second P5 opponent.

SC is an ideal non-con opponent. Regional beatable SEC school. I’d love to have them as the P5 or a second P5 opponent.

Agreed. SC and Tennessee are two obvious ones that are very close.

I remember USC rolled us in the 80's with Sterling Sharpe. My idea of a tailgate at the time was take-out chicken and a six pack. USC fans had pigs on spits.

I’ve driven through SC a few times on Thanksgiving weekend after the Clemson-SC game and it’s an impressive collection of grills, fryers, smokers, and other tailgating applicances strapped to the top of cars and on trailers.

I would even be fine with playing ECU as opposed to Army. And, no, I have zero ties to ECU. But I think even that game would create significant local interest and rivalry. I realize there are far sexier opponents but the Army game is just a wasted week, not to mention the risk of injury (Clawson has stated as much).

No question. ECU was a good time and it’s a nice road trip for down east fans who travel 4+ hours for Wake home games.

The best G5 opponents would be USF, FAU, FIU, ODU, JMU, and Ga State. Ga State and FIU move down the list a bit now that we go to Atlanta every other year and Miami once every four years.

Looks like we have ECU in 27 and 28. Was that announced in the last few years and I missed it or part of our older deal? I remember playing them a few times mid-2000s when I was in school but I don’t think since then?

No question. ECU was a good time and it’s a nice road trip for down east fans who travel 4+ hours for Wake home games.

The best G5 opponents would be USF, FAU, FIU, ODU, JMU, and Ga State. Ga State and FIU move down the list a bit now that we go to Atlanta every other year and Miami once every four years.

Would add Coastal Carolina for both quality of opponent and a nice fall weekend at the beach. Same for JMU which is on your list, i.e. quality opponent and nice area to visit in the fall.

Back