• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Future OOC Football Schedules (Updated with ACC games through 2026)

I remember USC rolled us in the 80's with Sterling Sharpe. My idea of a tailgate at the time was take-out chicken and a six pack. USC fans had pigs on spits.

Close to a record crowd that day, with 70% or so being Gamecock fans. Can still hear the relentless chants of "ass-kickin' chicken".

I remember USC rolled us in the 80's with Sterling Sharpe. My idea of a tailgate at the time was take-out chicken and a six pack. USC fans had pigs on spits.

And we actually had a good team that year. It was Dooley's first season and we started out 5-0, then went 2-4 over our last 6 games. Our first loss of the season was 14-0 to Maryland in one of the most boring games I have ever attended.

Agreed. SC and Tennessee are two obvious ones that are very close.

I can’t think of an opponent Clawson would want to beat more than Tennessee - seems logical to me to try to schedule that one and Knoxville isn’t that far. I don’t care if Truist is 70% light Orange - it’s fun to play an SEC team named Vanderbilt.

I can’t think of an opponent Clawson would want to beat more than Tennessee - seems logical to me to try to schedule that one and Knoxville isn’t that far. I don’t care if Truist is 70% light Orange - it’s fun to play an SEC team named Vanderbilt.

I can't see Tennessee agreeing to play a home and home with Wake. And I would hate to see us agree to play them in Knoxville without a return game. In the 70's and 80's we would do that, played at Texas, Penn State, Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, and Tennessee. But those days are over.

Tennessee agreed to play a home and home with Pitt (they play at Pitt on September 10th). Pitt rarely draws over 40K for a home football game.

I can't see Tennessee agreeing to play a home and home with Wake. And I would hate to see us agree to play them in Knoxville without a return game. In the 70's and 80's we would do that, played at Texas, Penn State, Oklahoma, LSU, Georgia, Michigan, and Tennessee. But those days are over.

Played Nat champ Nebraska and also Auburn in that string. Sold "home" game vs pre ACC FSU to somewhere in Florida.

I agree no more of that. I disagree that TN would not do home and home.

TN wouldn’t agree to home and home with LOWF 15 years ago but times have changed in our favor. I don’t see us being able to get one with a top tier SEC team but TN is a middle at best SEC team these days and have been for a long time.

Played Nat champ Nebraska and also Auburn in that string. Sold "home" game vs pre ACC FSU to somewhere in Florida.

I agree no more of that. I disagree that TN would not do home and home.

I hope that you are right. At least Nebraska and Auburn have played in WS. The Nebraska game didn't have anything to do with the one in the 70's. But the 1979 Auburn game in WS is still one of the most exciting games I have ever been to.

What is the upside for Tenn to play us in WS? They would likely lose.

Tennessee has future games against UVA (in Nashville), Cuse (in Atlanta), and WV (in Charlotte) but the only other true announced road games besides playing in Heinz Field are at Nebraska in 26 and at Washington in 30. Maybe they would be amenable to playing in a stadium less than half the size of Heinz Field, but I doubt it.

Either the big schools don’t want to play at WF, or we don’t truly want them to come here. At this point, Currie has been around long enough that if cancelling Liberty or Army and getting a big name into BB&T was possible and a high priority, it could have been announced by now.

I hope that you are right. At least Nebraska and Auburn have played in WS. The Nebraska game didn't have anything to do with the one in the 70's. But the 1979 Auburn game in WS is still one of the most exciting games I have ever been to.

What is the upside for Tenn to play us in WS? They would likely lose.

Home and home set against P5 opponent they would think they could beat.

By the way, the Nebraska visit to Groves was a lucky scheduling break, unlikely to happen again. (And we capitalized by…running out of water)

Tennessee has future games against UVA (in Nashville), Cuse (in Atlanta), and WV (in Charlotte) but the only other true announced road games besides playing in Heinz Field are at Nebraska in 26 and at Washington in 30. Maybe they would be amenable to playing in a stadium less than half the size of Heinz Field, but I doubt it.

Either the big schools don’t want to play at WF, or we don’t truly want them to come here. At this point, Currie has been around long enough that if cancelling Liberty or Army and getting a big name into BB&T was possible and a high priority, it could have been announced by now.

In my opinion, the big name and reputation schools don't want to play at Wake. We have elevated our program so much that we are far from a sure win and much closer to being a likely loss. But our national reputation doesn't match the reality of how good our program is so it is seen as a no-win for them. If they beat us it is because they are supposed to beat LOWF and if they lose, then it's how could they lose to Wake Forest? The perception of our program is changing but slowly.

In my opinion, the big name and reputation schools don't want to play at Wake. We have elevated our program so much that we are far from a sure win and much closer to being a likely loss. But our national reputation doesn't match the reality of how good our program is so it is seen as a no-win for them. If they beat us it is because they are supposed to beat LOWF and if they lose, then it's how could they lose to Wake Forest? The perception of our program is changing but slowly.

I agree. I also believe the size of our stadium hurts us. Not that we can really do anything about that.

I don't think that's the case. Wake has a lot of respect nationally as an elite offense. I haven't seen the LOWF narrative in much of the national press. It would be a good win for any P5 school because people know Wake is going to make a bowl, probably get 8+ wins, and may contend for the Atlantic title.

No matter how you feel, right now is a good time for Currie to get out of the Army deal and upgrade the OOC whether that means adding Tenn and/or SC, adding Pac-12 schools, or just replacing Army with better G5 teams like USF, FIU, FAU, and Ga State.

Pisses me off that BC has home and homes with Ohio State, Bama, Stanford and Mich St on the books, among others.

Pisses me off that BC has home and homes with Ohio State, Bama, Stanford and Mich St on the books, among others.

Good for them. Winning any of those games would help the ACC. Going 3-5 would be huge.

If we get out of the Army and Liberty series the first thing I’d want us to do is add State as a non-conference opponent.

More on Tennessee: they had a H&H series with BYU, but bought their way out of the game at BYU (paying $2 million to do so) in favor of the game vs UVA in Nashville. Tennessee does not like to play road games.

Good for them. Winning any of those games would help the ACC. Going 3-5 would be huge.

It just pisses me off in the context that ours is so shitty by comparison. Sure, Purdue and Ole Miss are decent, but they’ve got 2 of the top 5 or so cream of the crop blue bloods and some other very good ones. BC has a better legacy than us but we’re much stronger now. Unless those programs want to appeal to Boston-based fans.

Oh I agree. Wake has nothing to lose and everything to gain from playing Ohio State or Alabama. Pull it off and it’s a massive win. Lose and it’s no different than Clawson era losses to ND or Clemson.

Back