• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Future OOC Football Schedules (Updated with ACC games through 2026)

So it's at least fan lore. I'm curious if there's a direct connection. If a team schedules a home and home at Miami or FIU do they start getting more Miami area recruits? If so, does the impact last beyond the length of the contract? Do ACC Coastal teams recruit Miami better than ACC Atlantic teams because they play in Miami every other year? Same question for CUSA East teams vs. CUSA West teams.

I agree that this issue seems oversold. I’m sure if a school plays at Miami every other year that’s a factor. And maybe our increased efforts of late to be present in a closer area like Tidewater will pay off. But because we go to some SEC city once or twice a decade we’re going to gain an advantage there? Or that SEC team coming to Charlotte or Raleigh once or twice suddenly makes high schoolers in that area more interested? In the internet age I don’t see it.

So it's at least fan lore. I'm curious if there's a direct connection. If a team schedules a home and home at Miami or FIU do they start getting more Miami area recruits? If so, does the impact last beyond the length of the contract? Do ACC Coastal teams recruit Miami better than ACC Atlantic teams because they play in Miami every other year? Same question for CUSA East teams vs. CUSA West teams.

As with so much else in life, little things matter. Does a home and home with Team X materially impact recruiting from the area where Team X is located? Almost definitely no. But over time exposure like that helps the program in ways that nobody can predict or measure. There's a lot to be said for getting our "brand" out there and having our team play in parts of the country where people don't know much about Wake. Not the kind of thing we're going to accomplish by playing Army and the cream of the Big South every single year.

[h=1]Staples: Florida AD Scott Stricklin’s ‘scheduling manifesto’ would make college football better. Will people listen?[/h]
https://theathletic.com/2666162 (subscription)

Tenet No. 1: All Power 5 schools should play 11 meaningful games each season.
What does meaningful mean? That depends on the school. For some, it might mean 11 Power 5 opponents. For others, it might mean games against a mix of Power 5 and Group of 5 teams. A Texas-Houston game wouldn’t be Power 5-on-Power 5, but it certainly would be meaningful. Ditto for Florida or Florida State against UCF or USF. Any Pac-12 team against Boise State or San Diego State would be meaningful.

Tenet No. 2: Schedules should have some opponents who are annual in order to maintain important (rivalry) series, but a majority of the opponents should rotate regularly to prevent staleness and fan fatigue.
Stricklin works in a 14-team league with an eight-game conference schedule in which one cross-divisional opponent is fixed. The ACC also fits this description, and the lack of certain cross-divisional games there has gotten so ridiculous in that league that founding members North Carolina and Wake Forest — which sit 80 miles apart — have scheduled one another this season in a non-conference slot.
There are two potential solutions here. Those leagues could add a conference game, which would force another “meaningful” game on programs that lack the motivation to schedule better. It also would add another team into the cross-divisional rotation each year. In the Big Ten, a 14-team league that plays nine conference games with one protected cross-divisional rival, a team faces every league opponent at least six times in 10 years. The drawback to this from the ACC and SEC standpoint is that schools would prefer not to have five conference road games every other season.
The other solution is more radical — and would require some serious arguing to get established in the SEC — but probably would be the better option for all the 14-team leagues*. The important rivalry games could be maintained by establishing a group of three permanent opponents for each team. For example, Stricklin’s Gators could play Tennessee, Georgia and LSU every year. (They’d still play Florida State every year.) In the ACC, Clemson could play Florida State, NC State and Georgia Tech. (The Tigers would still play South Carolina every year as well.) For the ACC and SEC, the other 10 league opponents would rotate through the other five spots on the schedule. So every team would see every opponent twice in four years. The Big Ten could use three fixed opponents and rotate the other 10 opponents through the remaining six schedule spots for even more frequent meetings, or that league could drop back to eight games and demand conference members schedule fun, meaningful non-conference opponents.

Tenet No. 3: All kickoff times should be announced in the spring prior to the season.
This is the most fan-friendly of Stricklin’s suggestions. It hit him after meeting a Florida fan who lives in the Sunshine State but also is a big Chicago Bears fan. When the NFL releases its schedule each spring, that fan identifies the games he can attend and still catch a flight back home and make it to work on Monday morning. The NFL does occasionally use flex scheduling, but that doesn’t affect nearly every game like it does in college.

Networks want the flexibility to ensure they have the best game in the most visible spot. But going forward, this really only is an issue in leagues such as the Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 that split rights between two networks. When the SEC’s best game moves from CBS to ESPN/ABC in 2024, Disney/ESPN will have rights to every SEC game. That’s already the case for the ACC. There really is no excuse for the game times in those leagues not to be announced once ESPN has the complete set in the SEC. If the best game isn’t scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Eastern (the traditional time for the best SEC game) or 8 p.m. Eastern (the accepted time for the best ACC game), the network can promote the heck out of whatever the best matchup is to ensure everyone knows what time it kicks off. Meanwhile, Fox and ESPN already draft some of the games in the Big Ten, Big 12 and Pac-12 in the spring. They could draft all of them in the spring.
That way, fans who plan to attend games in person could start making plans. They could decide if they need hotel rooms and book those rooms. They could book their flights before prices spike. It would make it easier for fans to spend their money on their favorite college football programs, and every program should be making it as easy as possible for their fans to spend money on them. This one wouldn’t be helped by the new playoff format. It would just require leagues and networks to make a concession to help the fans a little.

I've always liked the idea getting ND as a full conference member, adding a 16th conference team (maybe West Virginia), then dividing up the conference into 4 four-team pods. Each season you rotate which pods are in the same half of the conference. That way you could keep Clemson, GT, Miami and FSU as 1 pod. Wake, Duke, NS State, UNC as 1 pod. UVa, VT, Pitt , West Va as a pod. Syracuse, BC, Louisville, ND as 1 pod. I know is isn't realistic, but it adds some flavor and breaks up the stagnation. Oh, and fuck UNC.

Makes plenty of sense. That’s why it won’t happen.

Notre Dame joining the conference is the impediment. Don't see ND giving up their football rivalries, and their deal with NBC.

Notre Dame joining the conference is the impediment. Don't see ND giving up their football rivalries, and their deal with NBC.

agree. And expansion has to be a worthwhile add. You could make a case for WV (power 5 to power 5) but who would you go to next? Navy for the brand? UCF if they keep having good runs in group of 5? Hard to think of someone that adds value and market $$.

If the new playoff proposal is accepted, the top 6 conference champions get automatic bids (if I understand it correctly). You're going to assume it is always going to be the Power 5 conferences plus the next highest ranked conference champ from all the rest of the conferences. So that's 6/12 teams locked in. ND doesn't have a chance at those 6 bids. They then have the opportunity to make it as an at-large bid. Whereas every conference team has a shot at any of the 12 bids. Is that enough to force their hand? The ACC plays an 8 game conference schedule. That still frees up 4 non con games for ND.

If the new playoff proposal is accepted, the top 6 conference champions get automatic bids (if I understand it correctly). You're going to assume it is always going to be the Power 5 conferences plus the next highest ranked conference champ from all the rest of the conferences. So that's 6/12 teams locked in. ND doesn't have a chance at those 6 bids. They then have the opportunity to make it as an at-large bid. Whereas every conference team has a shot at any of the 12 bids. Is that enough to force their hand? The ACC plays an 8 game conference schedule. That still frees up 4 non con games for ND.

They talked about this a little bit when the format was first proposed. ND will never get a first round bye, but their take was that they won't have to play an extra game in the form of a conference championship. As an aside,I hear those games may disappear in order to promote multiple teams from conferences getting in.

ND needs to join a conference, but their history and stubborn nature won't allow it as long as everyone keeps giving them everything they want. Glad to see this proposal push back a bit, but ND will be in there as an at large team every year.

agree. And expansion has to be a worthwhile add. You could make a case for WV (power 5 to power 5) but who would you go to next? Navy for the brand? UCF if they keep having good runs in group of 5? Hard to think of someone that adds value and market $$.

I would be in favor of adding Navy to the ACC if expansion happens again. As noted, national brand. Pockets of Navy alums all over the country and the world.

Work a deal for ACC games on the Armed Forces Network. Probably not a big money deal, but potentially big numbers of eyeballs.

Also would help the ACC maintain a hold on the DC TV/radio market. Annapolis isn't that far from DC.

Annapolis is also a cool place to visit every few years

I know football drives the conversation, but it’s not the entire conversation. The ACC is not going to invite these schools that are absolute dogshit in every other sport.

I know football drives the conversation, but it’s not the entire conversation. The ACC is not going to invite these schools that are absolute dogshit in every other sport.

Navy is not strong in BB, but does quite well in the other "Olympic" sports.

There are a dozen posts bitching about playing Navy all the time and you want to talk about adding Navy to the ACC ?

DO NOT WANT !

when I originally posted this thread, WF was scheduled to host ND in 2027. fbschedules has now removed that game, meaning the next time ND is scheduled to visit Winston-Salem is now 2037. If WF issued a release regarding this, I missed it.

Good news though - we still have our series with Army and Liberty (Liberty's move to a conference has at least played a part in Duke and UVA cancelling series with Liberty, but ours persists)

There are a dozen posts bitching about playing Navy all the time and you want to talk about adding Navy to the ACC ?

DO NOT WANT !

This is the correct response.

Playing Army, Navy or Air Force sounds good, but in reality is very stupid.

Kills our players legs among other things. Even Mark Richt gets it.

when I originally posted this thread, WF was scheduled to host ND in 2027. fbschedules has now removed that game, meaning the next time ND is scheduled to visit Winston-Salem is now 2037. If WF issued a release regarding this, I missed it.

Good news though - we still have our series with Army and Liberty (Liberty's move to a conference has at least played a part in Duke and UVA cancelling series with Liberty, but ours persists)

UNC cancelled a series with Liberty as well, due to them joining a conference, which I was glad to see. Good chance to get out of yours now too Deacs!

Weird about the 2027 WF @ ND game. Looking at ND's future schedules, each ND schedule is mostly filled except for 2027 which has only two games listed for 2027 (home against Purdue and VT). Maybe, when the ACC went to the new conference scheduling format, the ACCN wants to wait to schedule ACC v. ND games that season.

Back