• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2022: Happy Pride, Biff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kory

Reaction score
welcome to another TK classic thread

Last edited:

HTTD used to win by deleting his posts earlier in the thread. Dirty trick but people figured it out immediately

Thanks for that explanation, phdeac. I think as long as it's the faculty (even better if it's on the department level) making a decision about what's best for them and their students then it should be a good thing.

So would the teaching faculty do most of the lower-level teaching and the small commitment required of the research faculty be focused on upper-level seminars?

Perhaps it's specific to my discipline and personality but I can't imagine doing research without wanting to teach it.

chat thread 2022: how to win a chat thread

This link popped up on kottke today and it felt relevant to the earlier discussion about where society is headed.

Capitalism pushes us towards private affluence. We aspire to acquire our own things. Shared things are seen as second best, something of an inconvenience. Politics responds accordingly, prioritising economic growth and ‘more money in your pocket’, rather than shared goods and services. So everyone has their own lawnmower while the grass grows long in the park. People get their own exercise bikes or rowing machines, and the gym at the local leisure centre starts to look tired and under-funded. The wealthy pay for childcare or hire a nanny, but the early years nursery closes down.

Having access to your own things looks like progress, but there is a cost. Community is one of the victims. Shared spaces are places where community happens, where people mix and meet. Nobody makes new friends on their own rowing machine, in front of the TV. Inequality is another. Those who can afford their own won’t notice, but those on lower incomes rely much more on shared resources. When a library closes, it’s those on the margins of society who lose access to books, internet access, or a warm place to sit and do their homework. There is also an environmental cost, as private ownership means endlessly duplicated goods, many underused objects across many owners rather than a few well used objects that are shared.

https://earthbound.report/2021/04/08/every-child-on-their-own-trampoline/

Last edited:
Oh yay, another Kory win. Another guaranteed 40+ pages of chat about academia and how much the world is doomed!

Can't we just stick to current events, shitty people, food, & poop like the good old days? Life is heavy enough, and the CT used to be a nice light escape. Perhaps Biff can start the sarcastic/lighthearted CT we need and deserve.

Oh yay, another Kory win. Another guaranteed 40+ pages of chat about academia and how much the world is doomed!

Can't we just stick to current events, shitty people, food, & poop like the good old days? Life is heavy enough, and the CT used to be a nice light escape. Perhaps Biff can start the sarcastic/lighthearted CT we need and deserve.
I don't think it's the chat thread-starter who sets the tone.

I think we're just a sad, sensitive, stressed out bunch. Quarantine needs to end.

We've also kinda aged out of fun

:( okay i won't post on this thread

what a shitty post, tigerswood

there are a thousand threads, including this one, where you can talk about lawyering, accounting, and golf or whatever the fuck jesus

Yeah big disagree on TigerWoods post. I’ve liked the evolution of the CT, it’s a nice balance of serious and unserious.

Also whoever “runs” the CT has zero control of where it goes. If you want to talk about farts or whatever, you can do that here.

Back to the prior thread, I have an electric blower that was a hand me down that I thought would suck.

Obviously, battery technology has improved leaps and bounds over the last 5-10 years.

I’m intrigued by this F150 Lightning.

Thanks for that explanation, phdeac. I think as long as it's the faculty (even better if it's on the department level) making a decision about what's best for them and their students then it should be a good thing.

So would the teaching faculty do most of the lower-level teaching and the small commitment required of the research faculty be focused on upper-level seminars?

Perhaps it's specific to my discipline and personality but I can't imagine doing research without wanting to teach it.

I like teaching my research but it’s a pain to either do a new prep or teach something I haven’t taught in a few years. I taught a grad Mixed Methods class centered on Sociology of Education research a few years ago. It worked out but I’d prefer to teach them separately but there’s no guarantee the class would fill up.

Teaching faculty seem to teach a mix of stats and whatever the want to teach. As a Research faculty, if I’m teaching two classes in a semester, I’m more than happy to teach Intro back to back on Monday and Wednesday mornings and be done for the day. It’s not a bad gig at all especially now that prospective majors seem to know their shit and have an activist bent from the get go plus we get a lot of really talented pre-med students taking it for the MCAT.

Any of you folks roast your own coffee? Do I want to do that?

Like I mentioned in prior chat I use nextdoor for buying and selling stuff and a coffee roaster has popped up. It sounds intriguing but I have a feeling it’s probably a ton of work for not that much benefit.

Back to the prior thread, I have an electric blower that was a hand me down that I thought would suck.

Obviously, battery technology has improved leaps and bounds over the last 5-10 years.

I’m intrigued by this F150 Lightning.
Got an electric blower handy down from your mom. It did suck.

I like teaching my research but it’s a pain to either do a new prep or teach something I haven’t taught in a few years.

Haha, I just pulled up my notes: in the last four years (eight semesters) I've taught eleven new preps.

(One of these being a significant adaptation of a previous prep for distance learning.)

Next semester: one class I taught in 2018, one I taught in 2013, and one I taught last semester.

Yeah big disagree on TigerWoods post. I’ve liked the evolution of the CT, it’s a nice balance of serious and unserious.

Also whoever “runs” the CT has zero control of where it goes. If you want to talk about farts or whatever, you can do that here.

*farts*

Haha, I just pulled up my notes: in the last four years (eight semesters) I've taught eleven new preps.

(One of these being a significant adaptation of a previous prep for distance learning.)

Next semester: one class I taught in 2018, one I taught in 2013, and one I taught last semester.

you faculty now, phan? i feel like i missed a lot of life updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back