• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2022: Happy Pride, Biff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always thought being a surveyor would be a cool gig. Get to be outside a lot, use some math but not too much, get to look at old maps and stuff.

I've done some surveying. It's p cool.

I put it in the same camp as most residential construction subs. Requires some specialized knowledge, but experience is paramount. I think the major downside of it is that the "best" season to get work completed is late fall to spring prior to leafing (clearer lines of sight). Which, unfortunately, is a lot of super shitty weather. And the super-busy construction months like May, June, and July are just a total fucking disaster of 90+ degrees, 100% humidity, ticks, and fucking sweaty machete work.

You can make a relative shitload of money being a surveyor though.

Don’t want to put him on blast here but he ditched his corporate finance job to work with his hands

He is such a mensch

Don’t want to put him on blast here but he ditched his corporate finance job to work with his hands

He is such a mensch

tenor.gif

i found out real quickly that a PR job was lame as hell

grad school has its own issues but at least I feel good about what I do

I’ve worked with a bunch of lawyers over the years that worked well past the time they were able to retire comfortably.

I used to never understand it, but as I have gotten older it has started to make more sense to me. I’m trying very hard not to one day do that.

Talk about depressing - I am old enough now that people I meet for this first time don't just ask me what I do, they ask "are you still working"... Ugh. It also happens because I hang out at a country club a lot where there are a lot of affluent people who retire early. Needless to say, I am still working and will be for a while. I always said I wanted to retire early but as it gets closer I wonder what I will do with my time - I can play a lot of golf, but there is a limit. Obviously we can travel and spend more time with the kids... but I can see needing some sort of regular activity that occupies my brain, at least to some extent...

Current retirement goal is to be an usher at a baseball stadium. Seems chill for the most part.

roughly how much money did you spend on masks during covid?

Company gave us a lot of boxes of disposable ones. We bought a box of KN95s during the winter. Wife has bought a fair amount of cloth ones which she prefers since she has to wear them all day.

My wife made several dozen and donated them early on, don’t think we bought more than maybe a six pack

Talk about depressing - I am old enough now that people I meet for this first time don't just ask me what I do, they ask "are you still working"... Ugh. It also happens because I hang out at a country club a lot where there are a lot of affluent people who retire early. Needless to say, I am still working and will be for a while. I always said I wanted to retire early but as it gets closer I wonder what I will do with my time - I can play a lot of golf, but there is a limit. Obviously we can travel and spend more time with the kids... but I can see needing some sort of regular activity that occupies my brain, at least to some extent...

video games are pretty fucking intense these days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back