• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

chat thread 2022: Happy Pride, Biff!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just passed the 2:45 mark of an “initial call” with the government.

Really wish I’d had more than a green smoothie for breakfast.

Shit.

I traded in my 2011 outback w/ 147K miles. I needed new tires, a new oxygen sensor on the fuel line, the seal on my gas tank was dying and needed a new battery cable, all for about $1500 on a KBB $2500 car, so it was time to switch out. That was a good car though. My real plan is drive this Ford for 3-4 years and then go all electric. The dealer did include an extended 100k drive train warranty on the vehicle for about ~$1000. It was something I could not opt out of, but, I'm thinking that would cover your troubles.

Yeah the Subaru dealer had a 10 year/100k powertrain warranty that they were including until end of 2020 (we bought on 12/28). For about $1000 more I upgraded it to cover essentially all aspects of the car other than standard maintenance like tires, wipers blades, etc. And so built into the monthly payments it doesn't amount to much at all for essentially any repair issue for the car, esp since it was 0% interest.

All this new car talk makes me jealous. I want a new car, but it's pretty pointless. My car is right at 10 yrs old now but only has 26k miles on it. My wife's car is 7 yrs old and has like 4k miles on it. We also park on the street and after these years the dings and scratches are just part of the patina, but I'm sure they would bother me on a new car. And now with all of this work from home uncertainty going forward, neither of us may end up having the 1 mile drives to our respective offices anymore.

the VOLCANO was very cool but by the time we got to it the lava field had washed out so many trails that we couldn't get very close

but we did get to see REAL LAVA from like a mile or two away which is still a SIGHT

cooler thing was taking three week old rock from the lava field - now the proud owner of a few BABY ROCKS

my gif of GULLFOSS (people for scale left-middle)

U0bVo9q.gif

All this new car talk makes me jealous. I want a new car, but it's pretty pointless. My car is right at 10 yrs old now but only has 26k miles on it. My wife's car is 7 yrs old and has like 4k miles on it. We also park on the street and after these years the dings and scratches are just part of the patina, but I'm sure they would bother me on a new car. And now with all of this work from home uncertainty going forward, neither of us may end up having the 1 mile drives to our respective offices anymore.

I am too because our other car is a 2015 Camry that prior to the issues of the Escape we were talking about trading in for something bigger. The plan was to keep the Escape and upgrade the Camry to something like an Outback, but the Escape issues forced our hand. Camry has been paid off and has never had issues (knock on wood), but now we're kinda stuck with it for a while longer since we don't want 2 car payments.

probably gonna do a full write-up soon but:

natural: Gullfoss/Geysir (we steal the name from icelandic!)
man-made: the Lebowski bar

not sure if you had a reason to pop in but I loved that the the hotel/bar at Geysir had awesome architecture/design. my dad and I stopped in for lunch and a couple beers when we passed through the area

the lava never went above the crater there but you could see it splashing against the sides inside and even more stark was the lava river (you can kind of see the red specks below and to left of the opening) pouring out

not sure if you had a reason to pop in but I loved that the the hotel/bar at Geysir had awesome architecture/design. my dad and I stopped in for lunch and a couple beers when we passed through the area

we went into the cafe just to use the bathroom and i wasn't really looking but this checks out

automatic for the people is so fucking good y'all

My favorite thing about REM was:

Flashback to 1983,
chronic town was their first ep,
later on came reckoning
Finster's art, and titles to match:
South Central Rain, Don't Go Back To Rockville,
Harbourcoat, Pretty Persuasion,
You were born to be a camera,
Time After Time was my least favourite song…

@Biff with the Varsity in Athens closing looks like you’ll have to get your fill before Tech games now

so rad, but also the most expensive lunch/beers i think i have ever had

I miss Iceland. Kory, I love these gifs. Please keep the gifs and pics flowing!

I’m loving how much Thermoworks is HYPING this new release tomorrow. Like, I love you guys. Great products. But you make meat thermometers. How groundbreaking could this possibly be.

Turns out, not terribly exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back