• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Eastern Europe: Belarus Hijacks Plane to Arrest Journalist

Fair, I'm not trying to equate the two, but I'm much more concerned with the current President's reactions than worrying about Trump at this point. I think it's tme to move on and hold the current President to normal standards rather than Trump's standards.

I think there is a temptation to respond to criticism of Biden from conservatives by saying, "your dumbass president was waay the fuck worse." I mean those folks either stood by and tolerated Trump's actions, vocally defended the fucker, or mocked liberals for being upset by his actions. That's part of the problem with electing a dunce to the white house because it sets a new normal and a new standard by which we assess the position.

yeah, one of them was a fugitive, the other is a journalist.

but conservatives sometimes have a hard time distinguishing

While I am anything but a conservative, for Belarus the journalist was a fugitive, just as Snowden was for the US...

(I think it's wrong in both cases.)

I think there is a temptation to respond to criticism of Biden from conservatives by saying, "your dumbass president was waay the fuck worse." I mean those folks either stood by and tolerated Trump's actions, vocally defended the fucker, or mocked liberals for being upset by his actions. That's part of the problem with electing a dunce to the white house because it sets a new normal and a new standard by which we assess the position.

This is like the Buzz effect on Manning.

yeah, one of them was a fugitive, the other is a journalist.

but conservatives sometimes have a hard time distinguishing

Fugitive for being a whistle blower on the crimes the US government was committing against their own citizen's, and directly exposing James Clappers lies to congress under oath.

i mean, one of those people did a crime, the other one is a journalist. whether or not you agree with what snowden did the act was not legal

that was my only position

The journalist was a fugitive in Belarus (wanted as a "terrorist" ), regardless if you agree with it. So going with your arguments in the Snowden case, the Belarus case is exactly the same.

i mean, one of those people did a crime, the other one is a journalist. whether or not you agree with what snowden did the act was not legal

that was my only position

the journalist did a "crime" per the administration in Belarus

this requires bringing some ethics to the table, not just leaning on the rule of law

Back