• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

So as I said to Townie, there are different ways to stifle opposing ideas, but they lead to the same result. Pubs are using one way, but it isn't the only way. Do you think that the only ideological forces at work in education are the voices of Red State legislatures? Are they even in the top 10 most influential in driving discourse?

And as has been pointed out previously, what evidence is there that university departments that are heavy with liberals are deliberately stifling conservative ideas or preventing conservatives from being hired or making themselves heard? Also, you seem to be arguing that it is hypocritical for professors and teachers who are being told what to teach by right-wing state governments (made up largely of non-educators who are unfamiliar with educational theories and ideas and who usually have no classroom experience) to complain about said censorship and dictation because the departments they work in may be top-heavy with liberals. That's a real stretch, no matter how you argue it. And it's not just colleges who are being affected by state governments censoring what can be taught, it's also public schools, which do contain a good many conservatives, especially in red states where these bans are being passed.

What an interesting post. He rejects the mainline conservative argument. Then he poses a weird straw man question. I don’t see where that question comes from. But props for understand why government shouldn’t ban teaching about the uglier aspects of our society.

If the Israelis pummel the West Bank with artillery fire for 12 hours, and the Palestinians respond with rocks made from the rubble, it would be weird if the Israelis threw a pity party for themselves about all of this unfortunate rock throwing.

Academically, the American Left is the Israelis. A handful of MTG-clones prattling in school board meetings about CRT is rock throwing.

It might be "wrong" to throw rocks, but c'mon.

Now if it's all the same to you all, I'm going to watch #mySuns finish off the hated Lakers.

And there we have it. Conservatives think they are at war with higher education. Enjoy your uneducated bubble.

If the Israelis pummel the West Bank with artillery fire for 12 hours, and the Palestinians respond with rocks made from the rubble, it would be weird if the Israelis threw a pity party for themselves about all of this unfortunate rock throwing.

Academically, the American Left is the Israelis. A handful of MTG-clones prattling in school board meetings about CRT is rock throwing.

It might be "wrong" to throw rocks, but c'mon.

Now if it's all the same to you all, I'm going to watch #mySuns finish off the hated Lakers.

We're not talking about school board meetings, we're talking about state governments deliberately banning what can be taught about race and the history of racism in both public schools and public colleges and universities in many red states. And you're right that they are "MTG Clones", which only shows the direction that the GOP is moving in and what types of people they are electing to office. The "American Left" in red states doesn't have final control over the curriculum, state governments and boards of education (appointed by red-state governors and legislatures) do - they're the Israelis in your equation, as they have the final power.

And there we have it. Conservatives think they are at war with higher education. Enjoy your uneducated bubble.

I'm referring to scale. Nobody's at war with you. This is the worst pity party I've ever been to.

Seriously. Nobody. At most we think your ideas are naive or that you're virtue signaling hypocrites. Don't be so dramatic.

LOL. I'm sure all of those red-state legislatures are just having fun banning what can be taught in schools or colleges, or are just doing it for shits and giggles. Label it drama all you want, but it's happening, and you're obviously just choosing to ignore the ramifications of it. You are quite the troll, I'll give you that.

So as I said to Townie, there are different ways to stifle opposing ideas, but they lead to the same result. Pubs are using one way, but it isn't the only way. Do you think that the only ideological forces at work in education are the voices of Red State legislatures? Are they even in the top 10 most influential in driving discourse?

This is some bullshit false equivalency. On the one side Liberal ideas have out competed conservative ones at universities over the course of several decades, nothing has been banned, no subjects are forbidden, etc. and on the other side conservatives are using the power of a gerrymandered legislature to suppress liberal ideas and ban subjects at universities. These are not two different means to the same end. One is a evolution in ideology the other is repressive desperation to hang on to the 1950s.

No way he is ignoring the ramifications. He is supporting them. That’s why he, and those like him trying to preserve white status, are actively trying to distract from an honest dialogue. If they allow a more accurate telling of our history, it undermines the exceptional story they have crafted.

what the fuck happened to jhmd

he used to be funny at least

what the fuck happened to jhmd

he used to be funny at least

I think he’s worn down from trying to not be Trumpy in a party of Trump. “Both sides” are closing in on him. He’s basically left with a bunch of straw man arguments and white victimhood narratives to help him maintain what he feels is a moral edge.

Look at where he is now. He admits that there has been racial oppression and that oppression should be taught and understood in our schools and society. But he has to hold on to this idea that the same people who want to suppress teaching a false history are being oppressed as well.

This is some bullshit false equivalency. On the one side Liberal ideas have out competed conservative ones at universities over the course of several decades, nothing has been banned, no subjects are forbidden, etc. and on the other side conservatives are using the power of a gerrymandered legislature to suppress liberal ideas and ban subjects at universities. These are not two different means to the same end. One is a evolution in ideology the other is repressive desperation to hang on to the 1950s.

"Thank you for attending Ben Shapiro's TED Talk on the complete history of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict."

I think he’s worn down from trying to not be Trumpy in a party of Trump. “Both sides” are closing in on him. He’s basically left with a bunch of straw man arguments and white victimhood narratives to help him maintain what he feels is a moral edge.

Look at where he is now. He admits that there has been racial oppression and that oppression should be taught and understood in our schools and society. But he has to hold on to this idea that the same people who want to suppress teaching a false history are being oppressed as well.

One of the arguments about yelling into the e-void at 1:24 a.m. Eastern time (perfectly healthy, perfectly normal...) is that you end up putting too many adjectives in the projection machine and you end up accusing people you've never met IRL of wanting to "suppress teaching a false history". If that's your accusation, I guess you win this round.

Note that that's not the only reason to avoid engaging in this behavior.

Because you’re not legitimately asking that question. Everyone has answered it for you many times over the years. People are interested in different things which drive their career aspirations and politics. Fields that rely on research and evidence-based theories or science are not going to be popular with people who reject science for political reasons.

You’re going to ignore my answer again and keep asking the same question again because you’re just trolling.

Just so I am clear, your argument is that baseline ideology results in a natural migration of like-minded people towards this bundle of individuals and an equally effective migration of people who don't share the same values and mindset away from that group. Over time, these two effects combine to result in a cluster of like-minded people pursuing the end results of their common ideology. So like, a bubble, right?

"Thank you for attending Ben Shapiro's TED Talk on the complete history of the Israeli-Palestinian Conflict."

So you think you guys are the guy in Tiennemen square standing alone with shopping bags facing off with a liberal tank of Government oppression, when in fact you are using the Government to enact oppression. It really reveals an awful lot about the backwards psyche of Conservatives in America. Victimhood is a hell of a drug.

Back