• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Inherent in the question “who’s going to make the conservative arguments?” is the suggestion that professors or teachers are making arguments at all rather than presenting source texts and other evidence (or in the case of the life sciences, empirical data).

Would anybody on here who teaches fess up to actually making arguments? It feels to me like my experience in higher Ed, even engaging directly with CRT, wasn’t that the professor who put together the reading list was suggesting it was the only way to see the world (or more specifically the law or literature or politics) but rather another lens from which to view the world. And further when I pushed back on some ideas in the text the role of the professor wasn’t advancing liberal or conservative arguments, but trying to be sure I was thinking critically about the arguments presented to me.

Critical thinking…I think you’ve identified the “problem”.

So you think you guys are the guy in Tiennemen square standing alone with shopping bags facing off with a liberal tank of Government oppression, when in fact you are using the Government to enact oppression. It really reveals an awful lot about the backwards psyche of Conservatives in America. Victimhood is a hell of a drug.

I do? Funny, I don't recall saying anything close to that. Ever.

If we want to teach about systemic oppression and implicit biases, that's a part of our society, history and common experience. It would be dumb to ban the discussion as a matter of policy.

Do you all really think this message is having a hard time permeating our academic discourse? Who thinks that in 2021?

That’s what we’re discussing. That this is being banned. Started with Trump. Republicans carrying on in hopes of inflaming misguided passion for political gain.

The Brewing Political Battle Over Critical Race Theory

This is some bullshit false equivalency. On the one side Liberal ideas have out competed conservative ones at universities over the course of several decades, nothing has been banned, no subjects are forbidden, etc. and on the other side conservatives are using the power of a gerrymandered legislature to suppress liberal ideas and ban subjects at universities. These are not two different means to the same end. One is a evolution in ideology the other is repressive desperation to hang on to the 1950s.

It’s also about a desperate attempt to inflame misguided passions for achieving political power.

About inventing “problems” for this purpose whilst ignoring actual problems.

That’s evil.

That’s Republican, sadly.

I'm not for banning any ideas, but it is funny to watch you guys lose your shit when people do to the left what the left has been doing to the right for 50 years. How does it feel?

Perhaps you need to read up on CRT. Then you'd learn that white nationalists have controlled the country since inception. Only in the last 50 years did the progressives make some headway in correcting that white nationalist discrimination, but Republicans are desperately trying to bring it back. Republicans can't stand to have their "culture destroyed" by people who don't look like them.

Just curious, but what does conservative ideology (or liberal ideology, for that matter) have to do with teaching english? Or psychology? Or sociology?

Is there some idea that english teachers are causing problems for students by indoctrinating them with the idea that, I don't know, gay marriage is ok? Or that abortion should be legal? That trickle-down economics is bullshit? While I recall plenty of substantive discussions in liberal arts classes about the issues of the day, I don't recall a narrative being pushed one way or the other.* And I don't recall tons of conservatives students failing english classes due to arguing that Faulkner's description of the South in Light in August demonstrated that black folks were better off during segregated times.

I recognize I am officially at middle age (or past it) but these arguments about the makeup of faculties were just as present in the 90s as they are now. Which, to me, seems to indicate that conservatives enjoy complaining about it more than they actually care about it.

*Well, except for Dr. Broyles, who was clearly a Buckley/Goldwater conservative and mocked modern liberalism every chance he got (as an aside, and God rest his soul, he would have despised the modern republican party and its enablers).

“I’m the Palestinian throwing a rock and you’re the Israelis firing missiles!”

So I didn't say that either. "I" am against the exclusion of uncomfortable ideas as a matter of policy. I said that a handful of MTG clones are throwing inconsequential rocks. I've now said that several times. Somehow you missed it, despite of all this famous critical thinking.

The power-imbalance example fully played out in your scenario would be a single MTG'er with her rocks staring down 10 CCP tanks, and the tank commanders bitching about the rocks.

You guys are afraid that your battle-tested ideas wouldn't survive if the ratio slipped all the way down to 10:1.3?

What conservative ideas are not being given a fair shake in academia?

So I didn't say that either. "I" am against the exclusion of uncomfortable ideas as a matter of policy. I said that a handful of MTG clones are throwing inconsequential rocks. I've now said that several times. Somehow you missed it, despite of all this famous critical thinking.

The power-imbalance example fully played out in your scenario would be a single MTG'er with her rocks staring down 10 CCP tanks, and the tank commanders bitching about the rocks.

You guys are afraid that your battle-tested ideas wouldn't survive if the ratio slipped all the way down to 10:1.3?

If the Israelis pummel the West Bank with artillery fire for 12 hours, and the Palestinians respond with rocks made from the rubble, it would be weird if the Israelis threw a pity party for themselves about all of this unfortunate rock throwing.

Academically, the American Left is the Israelis. A handful of MTG-clones prattling in school board meetings about CRT is rock throwing.

It might be "wrong" to throw rocks, but c'mon.

Now if it's all the same to you all, I'm going to watch #mySuns finish off the hated Lakers.

So what, my only mistake here is saying you are one of those MTG clones. The whole metaphor is shit so it was hard to figure out your role in there. You're giving cover to state sponsored repression of free speech and expression by offering up false equivalencies and shitty metaphors. No metaphors needed. You are enabler of the authoritarian foothold in our government. You're not an authoritarian your self, but you are willing to defend it because highly educated people also tend to be liberal and you don't think it is fair.

So much critical thinking in the above post. Will take some time to unpack all of this.

So much critical thinking in the above post. Will take some time to unpack all of this.

giphy.gif

IDK Colonel. Are you sure your feeble, non-left-leaning brain is up to it? I'm assured that you either agree with them politically or you reject science. With these choices, WHAT ARE WE TO DO?

State legislators making certain lessons literally illegal = Palestinians throwing rocks at tanks huh. You’re lost.

Can you name a single conservative idea or way of thinking that’s being suppressed in college?

It’s just a fake boogeyman trotted out to justify the actual laws being passed. Which you can’t bring yourself to condemn without whatabouting with your boogeyman. You’re a trumper.

strange words from the guys who are afraid to talk about the founding fathers owning slaves and allowing kids to read books with gay characters

Now that I think about it, it was weird how my calculus equations always ended up solving for the end of capitalism. Maybe he’s right.

I mean, how typical is this. Some are trying to acknowledge the perspective of those that were subject to our country's history, but didn't get an equal voice in documenting and telling it. Republicans jump in to try to cancel that conversation and make themselves the victims. Fuck off.

I think he’s worn down from trying to not be Trumpy in a party of Trump. “Both sides” are closing in on him. He’s basically left with a bunch of straw man arguments and white victimhood narratives to help him maintain what he feels is a moral edge.

Look at where he is now. He admits that there has been racial oppression and that oppression should be taught and understood in our schools and society. But he has to hold on to this idea that the same people who want to suppress teaching a false history are being oppressed as well.

The jh style was sort of plausible when the mask was still on these ideas. Unfortunately for him, Trump ripped the mask off and their pure vindictive spite is what’s left.

You have to really stretch your moral convictions to stick with the party these days. Or put on willful blinders like jh is doing in this thread. I don’t think he’s trying to convince others at this point, he’s trying to convince himself.

Just curious, but what does conservative ideology (or liberal ideology, for that matter) have to do with teaching english? Or psychology? Or sociology?

Is there some idea that english teachers are causing problems for students by indoctrinating them with the idea that, I don't know, gay marriage is ok? Or that abortion should be legal? That trickle-down economics is bullshit? While I recall plenty of substantive discussions in liberal arts classes about the issues of the day, I don't recall a narrative being pushed one way or the other.* And I don't recall tons of conservatives students failing english classes due to arguing that Faulkner's description of the South in Light in August demonstrated that black folks were better off during segregated times.

I recognize I am officially at middle age (or past it) but these arguments about the makeup of faculties were just as present in the 90s as they are now. Which, to me, seems to indicate that conservatives enjoy complaining about it more than they actually care about it.

*Well, except for Dr. Broyles, who was clearly a Buckley/Goldwater conservative and mocked modern liberalism every chance he got (as an aside, and God rest his soul, he would have despised the modern republican party and its enablers).

I think you're entering your prime. Quit selling yourself short.

Back