• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

It would be nice if you stopped advocating policies that directly undermine it, given that it actually works. No offense to the policies that make you feel good.

Sex education and Birth control would like to have a conversation with you.

1. Finish high school.
2. Get married before you start your family.
3. Work.

And you will avoid poverty 98% of the time in the United States.

It still works. Even in 2021.

That’s oversimplified. Those are more outcomes than causes.

Here’s a good explanation that you won’t read.

https://www.vox.com/2015/7/24/9027195/haskins-sawhill-norms-marriage

——-

As Georgetown economist Harry Holzer told me the last time I debunked this stat, "When people make a statement like that, they act like people have perfect control over things like that." He explains, "In a recession, to say that people have perfect control over employment is absurd. There are so many reasons someone might lose a job beyond their control. I would argue the same thing for high school graduation." And I, for that matter, would argue the same for marriage and childbirth.

The truth is that low high school graduation rates in poor black communities are in part a legacy of systemic racism. Joblessness in poor black communities is in part a legacy of systemic racism. Single parenthood and family instability in poor black communities is in part a legacy of systemic racism. To say this isn't to reject the idea of free will. It's to acknowledge that if you're actually serious about solving these problems rather than waving them away, you need to tackle structural causes. Reasonable people can disagree about how best to deal with those causes, but just running around telling people to work hard and get married isn't a serious proposal.

Last edited:
1. Finish high school.
2. Get married before you start your family.
3. Work.

And you will avoid poverty 98% of the time in the United States.

It still works. Even in 2021.

Pretty sure teaching that stuff has been banned by liberal politicians and university faculties.

It would be nice if you stopped advocating policies that directly undermine it, given that it actually works. No offense to the policies that make you feel good.

Link?

Or do you have an example in mind?

Medical professionals generally, and medical journals specifically, are wrestling with the concept of systemic/structural racism and its impact on health disparities and research publication. In a way that mirrors the broader concerns surrounding the concept of structural racism.

Editor of JAMA Leaves After Outcry Over Colleague’s Remarks on Racism

Medical Journals Reluctant to Take on Racism, Critics Say

The pieces cover similar territory, the second is a little more detailed.

Anyhow, this is the gist of what started the mini-crisis for JAMA:

The podcast that set the events in motion aired on Feb. 24 and did not include any Black researchers or experts on racism in medicine.

“Structural racism is an unfortunate term,” Dr. Livingston, who is white, said on the podcast. “Personally, I think taking racism out of the conversation will help. Many people like myself are offended by the implication that we are somehow racist.”

The podcast was promoted with a tweet from the journal that said, “No physician is racist, so how can there be structural racism in health care?” Following widespread protest in the medical community, the journal took down the podcast and deleted the tweet.

Livingston, a JAMA editor, resigned. Eventually, the "top" JAMA editor eventually also has resigned.

It seems that JAMA (and the AMA?) is doing some self reflection as an organization and maybe going to try and do a better job understanding and reflecting how systemic/structural racism might be an important concept to consider and address.

Good for them, I hope.

I sure hope, however, that they don't come out against encouraging hard work and pure living. Seems a real danger when you open yourself up to self reflection concerning racism.

[h=1]Veteran's microphone cut off when he discusses Blacks' role in establishing Memorial Day[/h][h=2]Event organizer turned down sound for part of speech; Speaker says he was censored by Hudson American Legion[/h]

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...e-memorial-day-speech-hudson-ohio/7508217002/

A ceremony organizer turned off the microphone when the event's keynote speaker, retired Army Lt. Col. Barnard Kemter, began sharing a story about freed Black slaves honoring deceased soldiers shortly after the end of the Civil War.
The microphone was turned down for about two minutes in the middle of Kemter's 11-minute speech during the event hosted by the Hudson American Legion Lee-Bishop Post 464.

Suchan said organizers wanted this part excluded because it “was not relevant to our program for the day," and added the “theme of the day was honoring Hudson veterans.”
Kemter said he wanted to use his speech to share the history of the origin of Memorial Day. Afterward, he noted, he received "numerous compliments" from attendees who told him “it was nice to hear the history.”

“It was well-received,” Kemter said, adding many people told him, “I never knew that.”
He expressed disappointment with the event organizers' actions.
“I find it interesting that [the American Legion] … would take it upon themselves to censor my speech and deny me my First Amendment right to [freedom of] speech,” Kemter said. “… This is not the same country I fought for.”

[h=2]Organizers asked for portion of speech to be eliminated[/h]Kemter, a 1962 Hudson High School graduate, said he was trained as a combat medic, was in the U.S. Army from 1965 to 1995, and served in the Persian Gulf War.

In the days leading up to the ceremony, Suchan said she reviewed Kemter’s speech and asked him to remove certain portions.
“We asked him to modify his speech, and he chose not to do that,” said Suchan.
Suchan declined to say which part she wanted excluded, but confirmed the two minutes when Kemter’s microphone was turned off were part of what she asked him to exclude. During those two minutes, Kemter is heard discussing how former slaves and freed Black men shortly after the Civil War exhumed the remains of more than 200 Union soldiers who died in battle in Charleston and gave them “a proper burial.”
About three days before the ceremony, Kemter said, he was emailed by an event organizer (whom he declined to name) asking him to remove a part of his speech dealing with Black Americans’ role in an early Memorial Day-type of ceremony. Kemter declined to share why the organizer asked him to remove this part, but said he asked the organizer to specify what portions they wanted to have excluded.

Willfully ignorant snowflakes. That's all this is about.

So many different thread choices for this one, but I'll choose this particular thread just because I know jh and junebug are members/fanbois of the Federalist Society.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2021/06/federalist-society-stanford.html

On Jan. 25, Nicholas Wallace, a third-year student at Stanford Law School, sent a satirical flyer to a student listserv reserved for debate and political commentary. The flyer promoted a fake event, “The Originalist Case for Inciting Insurrection,” ostensibly sponsored by the Stanford Federalist Society. It advertised the participation of two politicians who tried to overturn the 2020 election, Missouri Sen. Joshua Hawley and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. “Violent insurrection, also known as doing a coup, is a classical system of installing a government,” the flyer read, adding that insurrection “can be an effective approach to upholding the principle of limited government.”

Stanford law student mocks his local branch of The Federalist Society (from its website, a group "founded in 1982 by a group of law students interested in making sure that the principles of limited government embodied in our Constitution receive a fair hearing") for not condemning the January 6 failed coup. In response, The Federalist Society, being slavishly devoted to the Constitution, attempts to cancel the law student.

. But the Stanford Federalist Society was not amused. In March, one of the group’s top officers filed a complaint against Wallace with Stanford’s Office of Community Standards. (This person’s name has been redacted from all documents.) The student alleged that Wallace’s satire “defamed” the Stanford Federalist Society, causing “harm” to the student group and to the “individual reputations” of the officers.

Then, on May 22, with graduation looming, the Stanford Federalist Society officer pushed the school to initiate a formal investigation. Wallace did not receive the complaint against him until May 27, his last day of classes. Stanford then placed a hold on his degree, prohibiting him from receiving his actual diploma at graduation on June 12.

Fortunately, cooler heads prevailed amongst the Standford law school administration and said law student was not cancelled.

Conservative fragility, as amply demonstrated on this thread, is a real thing everyone.

that's why I really enjoy teaching public speaking, when I think about it

tenor.gif

Literally the top story in the newspaper of record in the State.

https://www.wral.com/house-gop-leaders-move-to-cut-off-federal-jobless-aid/19707966/

"We'll pay you not to accept private sector employment" is the opposite of "work."

Tells people that "work" is a policy to keep people out of poverty. Posts article where his side suggests that work is insufficient to keep people out of poverty ("These $300 checks are keeping people out of the workforce!"). Bold strategy, cotton.

Links economic study that proves people that "work" is a policy to keep people out of poverty 98% of the time. Posts article demonstrating state-wide labor shortage.

Your post was deemed misleading. It has since been fact checked.

If having a job keeps somebody out of poverty, why do so many people have to work multiple jobs or use government assistance in addition to their job to stay afloat?

i go away for one day and now he has us arguing against him that Bootstraps is a viable answer to anything

don't feel the troll

Back