• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

I honestly don’t see the way out of this. Considering the regionality of partisanship in this country, I just don’t see how the pendulum is going to swing back toward liberalism. This country is a few islands of mild liberalism in a sea of rightwing evangelical fanaticism. We’re basically a rightwing dictatorship that happens to elect a powerless Democratic figurehead every 8 years.

Proposed OK bill will allow parents to sue individual teachers up to 10k "per incident, per individual" for teaching their child anything that conflicts with the parent or student's religious beliefs. The money would have to be paid by the teacher and not school funds, and if they couldn't pay they could be fired. Parents could also demand that schools remove any book with perceived "anti-religious" content, or the parents could sue the school for 10k. Under this law, merely discussing abortion, LGBT issues, evolution, and other topics in classrooms could all be forbidden.

At least we're now getting to the heart of why all this is happening in schools - "How dare you teach anything that might contradict what I'm telling them at home!" We've now had proposed bills in different states to put cameras in classrooms for parents to livestream, make teachers put every material and lesson plan they plan to teach online for parental approval, and now this. Public schools are just going to collapse if this continues.

Lol. And you people were all bent out of shape about a cop taking a shift as a substitute teacher in OK.

So pay to send a Muslim or Orthodox Jew to live in Oklahoma and sue the school system the first time they serve pork in the cafeteria or do anything related to X’ianity.

They are actively destroying our public education. Let's make kids dumber because their snowflake feelings don't understand how to deal with their kids asking questions they struggle to answer with their tiny, selfish, brains. Can you image what the educational outcomes we'll see in 10 - 20 years?

…Can you image what the educational outcomes we'll see in 10 - 20 years?

tumblr_opakhvKWsi1scb6izo1_400.gifv

I honestly don’t see the way out of this. Considering the regionality of partisanship in this country, I just don’t see how the pendulum is going to swing back toward liberalism. This country is a few islands of mild liberalism in a sea of rightwing evangelical fanaticism. We’re basically a rightwing dictatorship that happens to elect a powerless Democratic figurehead every 8 years.

Thanks to state legislatures now being able to turn over election results they don't like, we're now beyond electing a Democratic figurehead every 8 years. The Republican dictatorship begins in 2023.

Basically. That's a fair take. But we didn't devolve into this. We've always been this. This country has been a right wing dictatorship that just switched between two versions of right wing including some "progressive" policies only intended for white people. We're trying to break out of it. The right sees that. That's why they're striking down the Voting Rights Act and attacking education and making the courts partisan. They fear the Democratic Party becoming an actual party that resists centuries of American right wing hegemony. The decision for the left is to either abandon that resistance or keep going.

So pay to send a Muslim or Orthodox Jew to live in Oklahoma and sue the school system the first time they serve pork in the cafeteria or do anything related to X’ianity.

But the law only applies to Christians.

lotta good rhetoric here

Not according to the linked stories.

Yeah, some people on the twitter news feeds on this story are already suggesting what you did - send some Jews or pagans or whatever to OK to sue schools over something they see as sacrilegious to show just how stupid this law is (assuming it becomes law). Suing an individual teacher for 10k because they said something that offended a parent is just nuts, though, no matter how it's justified.

Dude, it's just bad legislation and it was written to make it look like they're just keeping offensive teaching out of the classroom. There's only a miniscule chance it actually passes, even in Oklahoma, and a 0.0% chances is stands up to ANY legal challenge. Pull your thong out of your ass, open your eyes, and use your brain.

Dude, it's just bad legislation and it was written to make it look like they're just keeping offensive teaching out of the classroom. There's only a miniscule chance it actually passes, even in Oklahoma, and a 0.0% chances is stands up to ANY legal challenge. Pull your thong out of your ass, open your eyes, and use your brain.

Is this like the "CRT laws won't actually change anything" argument?

I take racist assholes seriously. I don’t have the privilege to laugh.

It will obviously pass “legal” challenges if it’s what the Republican Party wants. The law is no more than the opinions of people in power.

It’s a bill, not a law.

It stands no chance of becoming a law.

And we shouldn’t indulge the notion that every bill some idiot backwater Republican proposes as red meat for his base should be the subject of political discourse just because it shows up on Highland’s or Ranger’s Twitter feed.

This American Life has put out some great shows about race in this country lately. This episode discusses the swing we seen from summer of 2020 Black Lives Matter protests, to the winter of 2022 book banning bonanza. The intro is about a black high school principle that sent a heartfelt letter he sent to parents in the summer of 2020 about race and anti-racism in the school system, that was later used as evidence of his extreme views and that he was teaching CRT in the school system to indoctrinate children. He was fired last summer for losing community confidence and violating communication policies.

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/758/talking-while-black

This was really well done (and discussed several maddening situations).

We discussed several months ago that schools aren’t actually teaching critical race theory, which is a legal theory. Some suggested that was nit picking and not worth trying to differentiate from teaching about race, anti racist approaches, etc. Well, here we are now, several months later, and the far right has labeled everything CRT, so books are being banned, teachers are being threatened with the possibility of cameras and lawsuits, etc.

I’m not certain a push for the truth about what CRT actually is, and that it’s not taught in schools, would have helped stop this craziness, but I’m inclined to think it would have helped somewhat.

It’s a bill, not a law.

And we shouldn’t indulge the notion that every bill some idiot backwater Republican proposes as red meat for his base should be the subject of political discourse just because it shows up on Highland’s or Ranger’s Twitter feed.

LOL. In case you didn't notice, this story has been covered on multiple news outlets, including in the UK, so it's hardly just a "Twitter feed" story. People like you said we didn't need to worry about all these CRT laws, but there have been multiple book bannings (and one book burning in TN), and some of these bills are indeed becoming law, so go ahead and dismiss it if you want, it's a serious problem and disturbing to see. Those "backwater" Republicans seem to be a growing majority of your party, but keep your head in the sand.

It’s a bill, not a law.

no chance?

It’s a bill, not a law.

But Jan 6 IS legitimate political discourse though.

Back