• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

In case you need a reminder of how stupid racism is.

Man tries to heckle Mayor Wu, yells at different Asian American woman
A heckler thought he was yelling at Boston Mayor Michelle Wu, but it was actually a voting rights activist. And it's not the first time it's happened.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/asian-...ells-different-asian-american-woman-rcna16887

On the Boston Common this week, a heckler tried to get his message across to the city’s recently elected mayor, Michelle Wu. Yelling out at a news conference, he addressed Wu by name multiple times. But she wasn’t there. Unknowingly, the man was actually shouting at Beth Huang, a Chinese American woman who leads a voter engagement nonprofit in the city.

“I didn’t quite realize that someone was directing their comments at me until probably 30 seconds after it started,” Huang, executive director of Massachusetts Voter Table, told NBC Asian America. “At some point I realized someone was trying to heckle Michelle Wu, and it’s very clear that I’m not Michelle Wu.”
——-

University of Texas Faculty Council votes 41-5 Monday to "affirm academic freedom to teach about race, gender justice and critical race theory." In response, Texas Lt. Governor Dan Patrick vows to strip tenure from all new hires at TX public universities and to fire any professors who teach CRT.

"We are not going to allow a handful of professors who do not represent the entire group to teach, and indoctrinate students with critical race theory that we are inherently racist as a nation," Patrick said. “To these professors who voted 41 to five telling the taxpayers, and the parents and the Legislature and your own Board of Regents to get out of their business (and) that we have no say in what you do in the classroom, you've opened the door for this issue because you went too far, and we're going to take this on.” Patrick said. “It’ll be a top priority.” The current guidelines for the UT System Board of Regents "state that faculty members have the freedom in the classroom to discuss classroom subjects" but Patrick wants to change the language to prevent faculty from teaching CRT.

But I'm sure this threat to university academic freedom from a Texas Lt. Governor (and likely future governor) is all just a big nothingburger and nothing to worry about. In truth, it's the logical next step for conservatives to go after higher ed after restricting what can be taught at lower levels.

Remember when conservatives were mad about restricting speech on campus? Looks like they just want more white supremacy and less truth.

It's something at how Republicans have twisted simple defenses of academic freedom into a snooty elitist assault on - and insult to - parental authority and rights to apparently dictate to schools and universities what they can and cannot teach. And so their war on experts and professionals just escalates another notch.

Remember when conservatives were mad about restricting speech on campus? Looks like they just want more white supremacy and less truth.

And they made fun of snowflake students for needing safe spaces

How worried are Florida-based Sociology professors these days?

Kind of worried. On one hand, a lot of the talk is bluster, red meat for the base, and there not much out there about execution. There's a big difference between setting a K-12 curriculum and bullying teachers and monitoring college syllabi and each course. They're talking about allow students to record lectures, but that happens already.

On the other hand, there are four open university president positions at Florida public universities. If the GOP can push their people through, that could remove some of the institutional buffers between policy and practice.

I taught some critical race theory this morning, but I didn't use the name.

No way elementary schoolers could have handled it though

I've been seeing more and more articles like this one recently - teachers are leaving (or planning to leave) public schools in record numbers, and fewer and fewer people are coming in to replace them.

"Teacher shortages may remain a challenge for years as fewer students pursue the profession. In 2018, only 4.3% of college freshmen intended to major in education, compared to 11% in 2000, according to UCLA's Cooperative Institutional Research Program.

"At least once a week I was subbing for another teacher, partly because we have a big sub shortage right now," Hirsch recalled. According to Hirsch, the school gave her Spanish materials that were more than a decade old. She couldn't teach the outdated texts and didn't have all of the corresponding materials, so she devoted more time to prepping for classes on her own. "I was constantly creating my own curriculum and things to go with what I had for the regular Spanish and then for native Spanish, I didn't have anything."

Similarly, more than half of teachers (55%) surveyed last month by the National Education Association say they will leave education earlier than they had planned. Like Hirsch, three-fourths of those surveyed said they've had to fill in for colleagues or take on extra duties due to staff shortages, and 90% said feeling burned out is a serious problem."

Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/more-teachers-think-about-leaving-as-shortages-rise-and-demands-grow/ar-AAU7RIH

I've been seeing more and more articles like this one recently - teachers are leaving (or planning to leave) public schools in record numbers, and fewer and fewer people are coming in to replace them.

"Teacher shortages may remain a challenge for years as fewer students pursue the profession. In 2018, only 4.3% of college freshmen intended to major in education, compared to 11% in 2000, according to UCLA's Cooperative Institutional Research Program.

"At least once a week I was subbing for another teacher, partly because we have a big sub shortage right now," Hirsch recalled. According to Hirsch, the school gave her Spanish materials that were more than a decade old. She couldn't teach the outdated texts and didn't have all of the corresponding materials, so she devoted more time to prepping for classes on her own. "I was constantly creating my own curriculum and things to go with what I had for the regular Spanish and then for native Spanish, I didn't have anything."

Similarly, more than half of teachers (55%) surveyed last month by the National Education Association say they will leave education earlier than they had planned. Like Hirsch, three-fourths of those surveyed said they've had to fill in for colleagues or take on extra duties due to staff shortages, and 90% said feeling burned out is a serious problem."

Link: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/more-teachers-think-about-leaving-as-shortages-rise-and-demands-grow/ar-AAU7RIH

That's not CRT. Please educate yourself.

giphy.webp

i hope jhmd and junebug didn't pull a muscle not worrying about this !

Johnson and Johnson talcum powder cancer lawsuits expose history of human experimentation on Black prisoners

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/johnson-and-johnson-talcum-racism-b2030530.html

Beginning in 1951, University of Pennsylvania dermatologist Albert Kligman experimented on hundreds of inmates at Massachusetts’s Holmesburg Prison for entitues ranging from Dow Chemical to the US government, as well as J&J, Bloomberg reports.

In such experiments, where incarcerated people were paid anywhere between $10 and $300, prisoners were injected with the potentially carcinogenic asbestos to compare its effect on the skin with talc, the major ingredient in J&J baby powder.

Adrianne D Jones-Alston, whose father Leodus Jones was one of the experimentees, has denounced the research on “incarcerated people Dr Kligman treated like lab rats, whose lives and families were harmed even as they were major contributors to the pharmaceutical world after Kligman developed and Penn collected royalties for Retin-A/Renova.”

Back