• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

I don't think you would be bussing tables at Denny's right now should you have been unlucky enough to be fired due to the pandemic. I think it is fairly ugly to suggest that others do that either. I think it is fair to expect that they should be able to do what you would be doing- searching for a job and waiting for the labor market to get to the point that a job similar to the one you previously held is available again.

If its good enough for you, it should be good enough for them.

As far as the whole get educated and get a job platitude, come back to me when this country is willing to invest in a generation of children without actively trying to, among other things:
a. put their parents in jail for being poor;
b. toss their entire living situation into upheaval if someone gets sick or loses a job;
c. destroy their school so that certain white kids don't have to go to school with black/brown kids; and
d. deny appropriate sex education or freely available contraceptives.

You're theory is that there is a micro solution to a macro problem. I believe there is a macro solution to a macro problem. My solution is hard as hell, not guaranteed to be 100% effective, and will require every level of our society to work together to improve the options for kids born into poverty and those who transition into poverty during childhood. Yours requires nothing but said platitudes, judgment, and a few tax-deductible contributions to your charity of choice. Not surprising that solution is attractive to certain types of people.

My solution is free to the end user, achievable and effective. Telling people that the system is out to get them isn't a solution at all.

My solution is free to the end user, achievable and effective. Telling people that the system is out to get them isn't a solution at all.

Platitudes, platitudes.

I think my solution is to put billboards up around the country, especially in low-income areas, that say "When God closes a door, he opens a window." I would expect poverty to be eradicated within 5 years.

Jh who in your opinion should be working minimum wage jobs? Should those sorts of jobs pay enough to sustain your nuclear family ideal?

Now who actually is working minimum wage jobs?

I've wondered about that

according to BLS statistics, those earning minimum wage (or less):

Highlights
The following are highlights from the 2018 data:

Age. Minimum wage workers tend to be young. Although workers under age 25 represented only about
one-fifth of hourly paid workers, they made up just under half of those paid the federal minimum
wage or less. Among employed teenagers (ages 16 to 19) paid by the hour, about 8 percent earned the
minimum wage or less, compared with about 1 percent of workers age 25 and older. (See tables 1 and
7.)

Gender. Among workers who were paid hourly rates in 2018, about 3 percent of women and about 2
percent of men had wages at or below the prevailing federal minimum. (See table 1.)

Race and Hispanic or Latino ethnicity. The percentage of hourly paid workers with wages at or below
the federal minimum differed little among the major race and ethnicity groups. About 3 percent of
Black or African American workers earned the federal minimum wage or less. Among White, Asian, and
Hispanic workers, the percentage was about 2
percent. (See table 1.)

If jh really believe in those three things, he’d be for improving neighborhood public schools, access to abortion, birth control, and family planning, and a federal jobs guarantee.

That would make graduating high school, not having kids before marriage, and having a job as easy as possible.

He’s not. He’s just trying to blame people for their own poverty.

Let’s move on from this discussion.

Good Tom Hanks NYTimes column about teaching and representing history.

Tom Hanks: You Should Learn the Truth About the Tulsa Race Massacre

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/04/opinion/tom-hanks-tulsa-race-massacre-history.html

“How different would perspectives be had we all been taught about Tulsa in 1921, even as early as the fifth grade? Today, I find the omission tragic, an opportunity missed, a teachable moment squandered. When people hear about systemic racism in America, just the use of those words draws the ire of those white people who insist that since July 4, 1776, we have all been free, we were all created equally, that any American can become president and catch a cab in Midtown Manhattan no matter the color of our skin, that, yes, American progress toward justice for all can be slow but remains relentless. Tell that to the century-old survivors of Tulsa and their offspring. And teach the truth to the white descendants of those in the mob that destroyed Black Wall Street.”

Last edited:
If Ph really believe in those three things, he’d be for improving neighborhood public schools choice, access to adoption, birth control, and family planning, and a federal jobs guarantee [Sorry, we don't have a word for that in the real world].

That would make graduating high school, not having kids before marriage, and having a job as easy as possible.

He’s not.

Let’s move on from this discussion.

Here for you.

Id love any post where Ph shares his views on adoption, and more so where Ph is for reduced access and the ability to adopt children. On the flip side would you like some information on how the the party you support, the Trump party, and its supporters attempt to make access to adoption more difficult.

It’s interesting how jh seems to think the 9 month process of giving birth and organizing an adoption won’t interfere with graduating from high school and/or work.

It’s interesting how jh seems to think the 9 month process of giving birth and organizing an adoption won’t interfere with graduating from high school and/or work.

Yes. That is a good way to describe developing human life. Excellent take.

You seem way out of touch with how real people experience life.

Lol at “access to adoption” yeah that’s a real unique viewpoint you have jh. No one here wants access to adoption.

Obviously its, Broken family, foster care, living on the streets >>>>>>> a loving same-sex family.

Don’t forget, $300 payments from the government = displacement of father’s role by the state and weakened family values

Meanwhile, tax cuts and farm subsidies (functionally the same) = great USA number one patriotic freedom dollars

lol

pregnancy interferes with a whole lot in a woman's life, dude

I can’t imagine how sheltered or indoctrinated someone has to be to equate 9 months of pregancy with an outpatient procedure as a way to not have a child.

Back