• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Sayeth the educator with 120k posts on a message board to his name

I get a sense that you're incredibly sensitive about your own posting volume across the various Wake boards over time relative to your productivity.

Let's "unpack" that, Colonel!

Tell me about it. I love my kids, but that $100k to get them hurt.

We went with a NC agency (same one my wife was adopted from as an infant) that was half price of national agencies but we had some issues with everything post placement. A lot of dragging their feet to finalize stuff before the pandemic hit and by the time they had everything needed to file in the courts it was June. Didn’t finalize til mid December. We want to adopt again and aren’t thrilled at the thought of what it will cost to go national but that’s probably what it will take.

It's almost as if everything jhmd thinks is easy is actually harder than he thinks.

And Texas becomes the latest GOP-governed state to say "hold my beer" on this issue.

"The bill also states that teachers cannot be compelled to talk about current events, and if they do, they must “give deference to both sides." While supporters say this provision promotes objective teaching, critics counter that it limits honest conversation around the deep-rooted issues surrounding the history of race and racism in the U.S.

“The more people learn about critical race theory, whether Republican or Democrat, the more they oppose it,” said Toth, who noted that he is also a preacher, and said God led him to write this bill limiting the teaching of what he termed “an offshoot of critical theory and Marxism.”

Yet he also said his bill wouldn’t prevent a discussion about critical race theory, but would prevent teachers from endorsing what he sees as its conclusions. “We’re not saying you can’t talk about critical race theory,” he added. “We’re saying you can’t tell a kid they should feel shame because of the color of their skin.”

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/author-of-texas-bill-to-ban-critical-race-theory-says-martin-luther-king-jr-would-approve-of-it-195058754.html

It's almost as if everything jhmd thinks is easy is actually harder than he thinks.

Whites who have always had a pretty easy go at life find it hard to believe that other people have a rough go. Even then, they blame the person for being lazy or stupid.

Junebug loves the concept of teacher discussing the positives and negatives of the Proud Boys.

WokeandBroke has twice as many posts as any single poster on this thread except for Kory.

Veteran's microphone cut off when he discusses Blacks' role in establishing Memorial Day

Event organizer turned down sound for part of speech; Speaker says he was censored by Hudson American Legion

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story...e-memorial-day-speech-hudson-ohio/7508217002/

Willfully ignorant snowflakes. That's all this is about.

Update on this.

[h=1]Memorial Day mic cut fallout: Hudson American Legion Post's charter suspended, leader resigns[/h]https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/news/2021/06/04/hudson-american-legion-posts-charter-suspended-leader-resigns/7543211002/

"Effective immediately, [American Legion Department of Ohio] Department Commander Roger Friend has suspended [the] Hudson Lee-Bishop American Legion Post 464 Charter pending permanent closure," stated a news release issued by the American Legion Department of Ohio Friday afternoon. "Upon demand, Jim Garrison has also resigned as a Post Officer and we have since demanded that he resign his membership altogether. The American Legion Department of Ohio does not hold space for members, veterans, or families of veterans who believe that censoring black history is acceptable behavior."

The American Legion joins the mean woke cancel mob.

But what about the other side?!

Some people don’t want to hear or acknowledge the truth. Or to allow it to be acknowledged!

Shouldn’t they be allowed to suppress it!!!!?

Junebug loves the concept of teacher discussing the positives and negatives of the Proud Boys.

That dude really said God told him to write a law forcing teachers to teach both sides. Because God is a “both sides” type.

Should be some great discussions.

Glug glug

Drinking again I see

So you’re part of the anti-Proud Boy bubble in this board? What happened to ideological diversity?

And Texas becomes the latest GOP-governed state to say "hold my beer" on this issue.

"The bill also states that teachers cannot be compelled to talk about current events, and if they do, they must “give deference to both sides." While supporters say this provision promotes objective teaching, critics counter that it limits honest conversation around the deep-rooted issues surrounding the history of race and racism in the U.S.

“The more people learn about critical race theory, whether Republican or Democrat, the more they oppose it,” said Toth, who noted that he is also a preacher, and said God led him to write this bill limiting the teaching of what he termed “an offshoot of critical theory and Marxism.”

Yet he also said his bill wouldn’t prevent a discussion about critical race theory, but would prevent teachers from endorsing what he sees as its conclusions. “We’re not saying you can’t talk about critical race theory,” he added. “We’re saying you can’t tell a kid they should feel shame because of the color of their skin.”

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/author-of-texas-bill-to-ban-critical-race-theory-says-martin-luther-king-jr-would-approve-of-it-195058754.html

This is exactly what most of us have been saying. Brad, jh and whatever the third asshole wants to be called now all won’t accept. All these new crt laws are trying to ban a realistic portrayal of our history in our schools because the republican snowflakes conclude it will cause their children to feel shame.

Critical race theory apparently signifies in conservatives' eyes "making students feel shame about being white". (Un)believable

Related.

Food Network says it’s dedicated to teaching. But it never let me say ‘slavery’ on air.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/food/2021/05/28/food-network-slavery/

In the second production meeting for the pilot, I said something like this: “Let’s have a difficult conversation now, so we don’t get hung up on problems later. As we build this pilot and look forward to a full series, how do we address the role that the enslavement of folks plays in the ways foods spread around the world?”
I was greeted with polite laughter, and then the admonishment from one of the producers, “Oh, you’ll never say ‘slavery’ on air.”
I replied: “But how do we explain marinara when we get to an episode on red sauce? Tomatoes don’t arrive in Italy until after Europeans start packing folks against their will into the bottom of ships and sailing them back and forth across the Atlantic Ocean.”
Another producer smiled and said, “Well you can talk about the ships, but we’ll just call them 16th-century cruise liners.”
I tabled the conversation, and then we made the pilot.
Throughout the process, I watched as a network executive and the executive’s handpicked production company cut anything they thought might be “controversial.” We were still in preproduction, so the snipping was either in our scripts or on the phone, where I was encouraged to acquiesce to reach the ultimate goal: a series order from the network.
They removed watermelon from the script because it meant we had to discuss its origination in the Kalahari Desert and also the way its image has been used as a vehicle of discrimination in this country. They removed ketchup because the network wanted to tell only the story of Heinz, instead of the 2,000 years leading up to that blood-red final chapter (a story that begins in Vietnam and helps explain why some spell the word “catsup” and others “ketchup”). They asked me to pretend the Middle Eastern owner of a Hawaiian restaurant was of Hawaiian descent, assuming viewers wouldn’t know the difference.
———

Back