• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Good Tom Hanks NYTimes column about teaching and representing history.

Tom Hanks: You Should Learn the Truth About the Tulsa Race Massacre

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/04/opinion/tom-hanks-tulsa-race-massacre-history.html

“How different would perspectives be had we all been taught about Tulsa in 1921, even as early as the fifth grade? Today, I find the omission tragic, an opportunity missed, a teachable moment squandered. When people hear about systemic racism in America, just the use of those words draws the ire of those white people who insist that since July 4, 1776, we have all been free, we were all created equally, that any American can become president and catch a cab in Midtown Manhattan no matter the color of our skin, that, yes, American progress toward justice for all can be slow but remains relentless. Tell that to the century-old survivors of Tulsa and their offspring. And teach the truth to the white descendants of those in the mob that destroyed Black Wall Street.”

I can’t read the full op-ed, but I don’t think anyone on this thread is arguing the Tulsa massacre shouldn’t be taught in schools. The anti-CRT laws certainly don’t prohibit that.

there was a reason it was not taught before. wonder why?

hell, I had never heard of it until the past couple of years and I’m a fairly well read member of the tunnels left mean woke mensa mob.

This is exactly what most of us have been saying. Brad, jh and whatever the third asshole wants to be called now all won’t accept. All these new crt laws are trying to ban a realistic portrayal of our history in our schools because the republican snowflakes conclude it will cause their children to feel shame.

+1.

Junebug, why hasn’t the Tulsa massacre been taught in schools? How should both sides be presented? How do teachers coddle white students to make sure they don’t feel shame?

There are people alive today who gained generational wealth their ancestors stole from Black Wall Street that day. There are people alive today who had generation wealth stolen from them. The Tulsa government and Oklahoma government actively participated in the massacre. What should be done about it?

Last edited:
I don't think regular ol' teachers were actively suppressing the story of Black Wall Street. It must not have been in the textbooks. Who writes elementary school textbooks?

Everyone can go to college. So can their family members.

That’s already been posted on the Pit thread about college.

Everyone can go to college. So can their family members.

That’s already been posted on the Pit thread about college.

1) Tell me you didn't watch the video without telling me you didn't watch the video. The LAST thing he's advocating for is "Everyone go to college."
2) So everyone and their family "can go to college" but "Finish high school without getting pregnant first" is an unreasonable ask?

You seem way out of touch with how real people experience life.

3) This you?

Everyone can go to college. I’m not saying everyone should or should need to go to college.

The idea that people who didn’t go to college shouldn’t pay for people who do is ridiculous because people who haven’t gone to college yet can. So can their family. The whole argument creates an artificial divide between people.

But anyway, take this over to the Pit if you’re interested in having this conversation instead of changing the subject of this thread.

CRT divides people? People that support it love to divide people? My impression is crt seeks to include more us in the conversation of our shared history.

Yes. CRT wants to examine history and our society from the different perspectives. Opponents want to examine history and society from white men’s perspectives.

CRT divides people? People that support it love to divide people? My impression is crt seeks to include more us in the conversation of our shared history.

In theory? No. In practice? I'll let you be the judge using the very next post as a case in point.

Yes. CRT wants to examine history and our society from the different perspectives. Opponents want to examine history and society from white men’s perspectives.

Here, our friend PhDeac has decided that you either agree with him, or you are a racist. Despite his agile and robust intellect, the good Doctor has proven himself unwilling to cough up any another explanation for a dissenting opinion on this topic. I believe in this rare instance, his approach is simplistic and self-serving.

Yes, there are people who oppose CRT because they are racists. Sure. Attempting to dismiss all dissent as being motivated by this factor is, well, simplistic and self-serving.
There are also people who oppose CRT because attempting to explain all of life's complicated challenges by pointing to race every single time will have you up at 1:58 in the morning posting on the internet about an outbreak of unreported murders. These people believe that race is one of many important factors in explaining historical outcomes. You can talk about race without making it a lifestyle. Or a career.
Teaching about our complicated history from diverse points of view is the right approach. Count me in this camp. Do people think modern academia currently pays insufficient attention to the issues of race? Of class? Of gender?
Yet another school of thought believes that fixation with race is harmful in its own right. The Chief Justice famously said, "[t]he way to stop discrimination on the basis of race is to stop discriminating on the basis of race." In Sig's favorite clip, Morgan Freeman says as follows:

I don't believe Morgan Freeman is a white supremacist. He just disagrees with you. It happens.

Now would be a great time for you to post a video of white Republican black friend and all around great guy Bill Cosby telling black youth to pull up their pants and stop stealing poundcake - that will really drive the point home.

Did you think that was an intelligent, thoughtful post, jh? It starts out being disingenuous about ph's post, mischaracterizes CRT with typical simplistic old white pub BS about "we talk about race enough already and the only way to move past it is to stop talking about it because Morgan Freeman said something like that one time", which really just means "it makes old codgers like me uncomfortable and I'm kind of a puss who doesn't like to feel uncomfortable".

Just the same pathetic old shit, Cap'n #Bootstraps.

Do you think US history as currently taught is whitewashed?

He’s making the time-honored argument that what we’re doing right now is the right approach on race.

Back