• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Posting on this board, it's easy for me to forget that I'm actually not the one who is the outlier here:

https://gazette.com/poll-majority-h...cle_09b2bc9a-ceef-11eb-828e-c35ebef3bda5.html

Looks like the Dems still have work to do. I'm sure continuing to insult people will eventually work in changing their minds.

That doesn't mean that CRT is being taught in public schools, or that the public knows what CRT is. Most GOP politicians certainly don't seem to. If you frame the debate, as conservatives have, by asking parents "Do you want your kids to be taught that whites are all racists who have to pay for past sins" of course most people will say hell no. That doesn't mean that it's an accurate portrayal of what's being taught in most public schools. And you just said that it's liberals who are the fearmongers.

merlin_189218118_f4b21565-b877-4e0c-8dbe-7e1ed04391d7-superJumbo.jpg

Can’t imagine why folks might have a negative perspective.

white people do hate to boogie, so i guess it's consistent

merlin_189218118_f4b21565-b877-4e0c-8dbe-7e1ed04391d7-superJumbo.jpg

Can’t imagine why folks might have a negative perspective.

Yeah, I've seen some of these polls coming out, and it's not really a surprise that a clear majority of respondents are opposed to teaching CRT in public schools. Conservatives are superb at framing public discourse to their ends, and they've already set the terms as 1) Kids everywhere are being brainwashed and indoctrinated by Marxist Far-Left Unionized Teachers in this dreaded theory that teaches your white kid that he's evil and needs to debase himself to atone for past racial sins 2) All right-thinking parents must rise up and take over school boards and ban this type of teaching and go after teachers who are teaching this crap and 3) You really need to generously donate to conservative politicians and groups that will fight on your behalf to make sure that said theory is banished forever from public ed. Liberals, as usual, have been late in showing up to the field of battle, so they're already behind on the messaging front.

This idea that we're going to force 7 year olds to see each other by the color of their skin seems very...old. And stupid. And illegal.

This idea that we're going to force 7 year olds to see each other by the color of their skin seems very...old. And stupid. And illegal.

you are one naive motherfucker, jhmd

or you don't know any non-white parents of non-white 7 year olds

it is a mystery of human biology how kids can't see skin color until liberals indoctrinate them

Yeah, I've seen some of these polls coming out, and it's not really a surprise that a clear majority of respondents are opposed to teaching CRT in public schools. Conservatives are superb at framing public discourse to their ends, and they've already set the terms as 1) Kids everywhere are being brainwashed and indoctrinated by Marxist Far-Left Unionized Teachers in this dreaded theory that teaches your white kid that he's evil and needs to debase himself to atone for past racial sins 2) All right-thinking parents must rise up and take over school boards and ban this type of teaching and go after teachers who are teaching this crap and 3) You really need to generously donate to conservative politicians and groups that will fight on your behalf to make sure that said theory is banished forever from public ed. Liberals, as usual, have been late in showing up to the field of battle, so they're already behind on the messaging front.

A similar debate is occurring on the Biden Accountability thread. Many of you are so out of touch that it doesn't even cross your mind that the problem isn't the messaging, but the message.

Posting on this board, it's easy for me to forget that I'm actually not the one who is the outlier here:

Yeah, you should never forget that you fit in very well with the brainwashed, mouth-breathing masses. If it makes you feel better, we all already knew it.

I think it’s pretty important for a white 7 year old to know that a good portion of society and a lot of adults in authority will treat them differently than they treat their friend with brown skin.

A similar debate is occurring on the Biden Accountability thread. Many of you are so out of touch that it doesn't even cross your mind that the problem isn't the messaging, but the message.

And what "message" would that be, Wake? Neither you nor anyone else has provided any evidence that there is widespread, systematic teaching of CRT going on in public schools around the country, but your side is in a frenzy to pass laws banning something that they don't understand or can adequately explain. Conservatives have threatened violence against school board members in Nevada, and are indeed cynically using this bogus issue to raise money and rile up their base. That is the reality of the situation. If your point is that Democrats haven't done a very good job thus far of pointing this out to the public then I heartily agree with you.

Last edited:
I think it’s pretty important for a white 7 year old to know that a good portion of society and a lot of adults in authority will treat them differently than they treat their friend with brown skin.

their peers certainly do

Junebug and jhmd continue to let their feelings dominate facts. Hear we see the equate teaching about racism with forcing kids to see each other by their race.

My little one was 7 last summer. He’s long understood that his skin color is lighter than mine and darker than his mom and brother’s. He’s had a firm racial identity since he was about 3. He understood what happened to George Floyd and why people were protesting.

This came up in my Facebook feed from last summer:

We talked to the boys today about the murder of George Floyd and police brutality and protests.

Our 7 year old was pretty sad about it and took it to heart. I showed him a video of the protests in Philly so he could see that there are many many people who want things to change.

He said, “We need more good people to change the bad people so they stop doing bad things.” I corrected him. I told that we cannot expect to turn “bad people” into “good people.” What we can do is change our society so that people are encouraged to do good things and people who do bad things know there will be consequences for their actions.

Several hours later, he told me “I think I figured out what is happening with the police. The police have the power to tell people what to do and they’re using that power to hurt people.”

I told him he was exactly right.

But I can understand how white people steeped in whiteness think race is some liberal invention instead of the truth that Europeans came up with race in order to justify colonization and exploitation.

Let me add that this whole CRT debate is also an extension of the Common Core hysteria and ongoing consternation over “new math.” People really hate innovation in education and want the next generation to be taught how they were taught.

Does this new bogeyman mean we defeated Sharia law or did Sharia win out and it's time to move on to the new thing?

Let me add that this whole CRT debate is also an extension of the Common Core hysteria and ongoing consternation over “new math.” People really hate innovation in education and want the next generation to be taught how they were taught.

I agree with this, but it does seem like this is much worse than the opposition to Common Core ever was. There is a frenzy and public anger about it all that is very disturbing. My guess is at least some of it is related to the explosion of social media in allowing people to quickly communicate and organize opposition, and the unsettlement of many conservatives over the murder of George Floyd and subsequent calls for more dialogue about race and racism in America.

Back