• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Slight addendum. They already made these grassroots attempts to control education. They did it after the Civil War. They did it after Brown v. Board. They’ve never really stopped doing it at the state and federal policy levels and in the school boards they control. They just need another battleground for culture wars.

Do conservatives wonder why if CRT was such a huge problem, Trump and DeVos didn’t do anything about it over 5 months ago?

I feel like there is a novel adaptation of Harvey's "spatial fix" theory here if Kory wants a banger of a publication.

When your intellect is so narrow that you are unable to conceive of an intelligent argument you don't agree with, you've just told on yourself.

Two responses to the same post?

Time to pay me rent, jhmd.

Interesting, when I was in law school, it was an elective that a good number of people took. The professor was well thought of.

I didn't take it because it was taught after lunch, which cut in to my drinking time.

Imagine thinking this is "blatant nutbaggery."

Junebug still won't do the reading or address any of the literature's themes and critiques, which continue to strike me as pretty reasonable interventions in legal theory (not to mention a critique of the limitations of liberal jurisprudence in regards to civil rights litigation).

Two responses to the same post?

Time to pay me rent, jhmd.

To be fair to me, I'm not used to dealing with people that make that many errors at once. I had to break that shit up into pieces.

But you're right about the rent. I'm absolutely consumed with what this group thinks.

What are the errors beyond you disagreeing that being on the wrong side of every race-related issue (from cops butchering Black 12-year-olds to this thread) on these boards may not say the best things about your views on race?

ETA: I honestly think that people tolerating your presence despite this really tired shtick is a fairer to you than you realize.

Last edited:
His positions are tolerable so we can experience his hilarious comedy.

Imagine thinking this is "blatant nutbaggery."

Junebug still won't do the reading or address any of the literature's themes and critiques, which continue to strike me as pretty reasonable interventions in legal theory (not to mention a critique of the limitations of liberal jurisprudence in regards to civil rights litigation).

You and I both know that Crenshaw's article isn't what I'm talking about.

And I must've missed something--what reading am I not doing?

What are the errors beyond you disagreeing that being on the wrong side of every race-related issue (from cops butchering Black 12-year-olds to this thread) on these boards may not say the best things about your views on race?

ETA: I honestly think that people tolerating your presence despite this really tired shtick is a fairer to you than you realize.

Putting the comical, Orwellian undertones aside ("Oh noes!!!! Strickland33 and the bubble betas aren't going to like me!"), this is a fantastic marriage of your Napoleon and God complexes. I'm sorry you've wasted a moment of your life concocting this delusional fantasy.

I thought we were talking about Critical Race Theory. We're not?

Putting the comical, Orwellian undertones aside ("Oh noes!!!! Strickland33 and the bubble betas aren't going to like me!"), this is a fantastic marriage of your Napoleon and God complexes. I'm sorry you've wasted a moment of your life concocting this delusional fantasy.

I'm just saying that considering how one note your troll shtick is, I think posters on here are being quite fair and tolerant of you despite your constant protestations to the contrary. It's a self-awareness point more than anything, so I guess that's what's so difficult for you to understand?

Also, that's neither a particularly Orwellian undertone nor am I sure anybody on here has a Napolean or G-d complex by definition. Conservatives really don't know what the words they say mean, huh.

This fucking asshole. This dumbass tells us to read Heller even though we’ve been living it with daily mass shootings but he can’t even be bothered to read the least bit of actual CRT. I wonder if this guy has read any actual scholarship by a Black woman before.

I was talking with my family about tomorrow being the first Juneteenth national holiday.

Decided to look at the Wikipedia page to check some dates/details. Noticed that SD is the only state now not recognizing the holiday/celebration (the Republican dominated state government has rejected two opportunities, proposed bills, to do so this year). Led me to this…

South Dakota’s public universities shouldn’t be teaching certain concepts of race and racism, Gov. Kristi Noem said Tuesday, in line with a nationwide GOP movement to keep critical race theory out of classrooms.

In a letter to the Board of Regents that oversees the state’s six public universities, the Republican governor targeted critical race theory and the Pulitzer Prize-winning “1619 Project,” describing them as misleading “students into believing the country is evil or was founded upon evil.”

Noem’s letter — released on the anniversary of George Floyd’s death in Minneapolis — comes amid a national reckoning on the influence of race and racism on policing and other realms of American life.

Conservatives across the country have decried critical race theory as an attempt to pit racial groups against each other and teach that certain groups are responsible for the injustices of the past. Others say the theory is simply a way to look at how race and racism have undoubtedly shaped the nation. The New York Times’ 1619 project focuses on the legacy of slavery throughout the nation’s founding and history.

“It is critical that our classrooms remain a place of learning, not indoctrination,” Noem said in the letter.

However, David Burrow, the Chair of the History Department at the University of South Dakota, said the current conservative ire aimed at critical race theory is “searching for a solution to a problem that doesn’t really exist.” The goal of the history department is teaching students to investigate historical records to form their own interpretations, he said, not indoctrinating them into a particular view.

It’s important within academia to “be open to non-dominant perspectives — experiences of people who are not in the mainstream,” he said.

The Board of Regents has a policy of protecting freedom of expression as “the right to discuss and present scholarly opinions and conclusions on all matters both in and outside the classroom without Board or institutional discipline or restraint.”

But Noem called for the Board to set a policy “to preserve honest, patriotic education,” defining that as cultivating “both a profound love of our country and a realistic picture of its virtues and challenges.”

That kind of rhetoric is worrisome to faculty members, Burrow said, because defining what is taught in classrooms could result in restrictions being placed on academic freedom.

Noem did not cite specific instances of anything currently being taught that she found objectionable. But she asked the Board of Regents to look into whether state funds were being used for such teachings on race and whether diversity offices had gone beyond the bounds of “their original mission.”

The Board of Regents did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Conservative lawmakers have worked in recent years to gain more control of the state’s public universities and rein in what they see as a stifling of conservative thought on university campuses. The Board of Regents, along with the Legislature, is currently reviewing the administrative structure of the universities. A report on a possible restructuring is due in November.

Burrow said he did not anticipate any immediate changes to how history and race are taught at universities, casting Noem’s letter as the latest episode in a long tradition of politicians attacking academia to score points with their base.

“She seems to envision a version where the United States is always right,” he said. “That’s just not what history demonstrates.”

Ho boy.

"We are not a racist nation." Says "conservative" Republicans who have since the founding of this nation, and continue to, pass laws designed to harm people based on the color of their skin.

Ah yes, Virginia Foxx, that well-known expert on proper educational curriculum and American history. I also loved this paragraph: "According to a Gallup poll released last year, national pride in America plummeted to a 20-year low. Instead of instilling pride in America to the country’s next generation of leaders, the Biden administration is capitalizing on this freefall by framing all of America’s history as a source of shame."

I'm sure that it's librul teachers brainwashing kids to hate America that's the reason for our "freefall" in national pride, and not having a racist, bigoted, petty, vindictive, loudmouthed ignoramus as POTUS last year (and the previous three years) that had anything to do with it. Always projecting.

Back