• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

I keep seeing in these bills how it's illegal to make white students feel ashamed for systemic racism, but it's consistently conservatives who want to tell students how they should feel. Trying to make a student feel pride in a country that has centuries of slavery and systemic racism in its history is every bit as wrong as trying to force a student to feel ashamed of that same country.

read the posted article, view the posted videos, you are probably not an idiot but you do seem to be intellectually lazy and uncurious

i'm referring to the random responses provided by some people that have nothing to do with anything. But if you think I'm intellectually lazy, that feels like a good sign

I keep seeing in these bills how it's illegal to make white students feel ashamed for systemic racism, but it's consistently conservatives who want to tell students how they should feel. Trying to make a student feel pride in a country that has centuries of slavery and systemic racism in its history is every bit as wrong as trying to force a student to feel ashamed of that same country.

agreed. why shouldn't we acknowledge our privilege derived from the actions of our ancestors over the last 500 years? That my ancestors happened to hail from the right place in the world to take advantage of the Guns/Germs/Steel phenomenon isn't my fault, but it's certainly worth acknowledging that it's true.

It does seem to me that part of the issue is that some (predominantly white) people view this whole thing like an escalator. Everyone is moving up at the same speed, so what are we complaining about? On the other hand, the people who are at the bottom of the escalator want to run up the stairs and reach the top at the same time as the people who start higher up. That's not an unreasonable desire, but it makes those at the top uncomfortable.

i'm referring to the random responses provided by some people that have nothing to do with anything. But if you think I'm intellectually lazy, that feels like a good sign

agreed. why shouldn't we acknowledge our privilege derived from the actions of our ancestors over the last 500 years? That my ancestors happened to hail from the right place in the world to take advantage of the Guns/Germs/Steel phenomenon isn't my fault, but it's certainly worth acknowledging that it's true.

It does seem to me that part of the issue is that some (predominantly white) people view this whole thing like an escalator. Everyone is moving up at the same speed, so what are we complaining about? On the other hand, the people who are at the bottom of the escalator want to run up the stairs and reach the top at the same time as the people who start higher up. That's not an unreasonable desire, but it makes those at the top uncomfortable.

Gotta love sailor swooping in, misunderstanding that your post was a direct response to JH's word salad of mix metaphors, and suggesting that you should read more.

It isn't a big issue. As has been said many times, we're already teaching these issues in schools now. We're going to continue teaching these issues in schools. These laws are toothless, empty gestures. Find another boogeyman.

Lol conservatives basically a scary issue out of thin air to rile up their base to storm school board meetings and pass ridiculous laws that are apparently “toothless” and “empty”. Aka inventing a boogeyman.

Then other folks (including jh apparently) see this for the absurd stunt it is…yet THESE are folks tilting at windmills in jh’s view.

It isn't a big issue. As has been said many times, we're already teaching these issues in schools now. We're going to continue teaching these issues in schools. These laws are toothless, empty gestures. Find another boogeyman.

Thanks for recognizing that this bullshit Republican outrage is merely divisive, race baiting by the party elites to stir up the base and keep them angry and fearful.

then why are your brethren making it a big issue?

“I can’t acknowledge weaknesses in my own party because then I can’t act better than you”

I am familiar with your party's position on abortion. I'm good with part 2. By a country mile.

I don't think we need any. Academia is digging its own grave. I'm happy to be a bystander while nature runs its course.

Republicans out to destroy this country.

I don’t know what that means, part 2 of what? And wtf did abortion come into this?

Country mile sounds like the kind of term an empty suit GOP candidate would shoehorn in to their dialogue to sound “folksy” to the rubes.

If you all wanted conservative voices in academia, you do a tremendous job of hiding it. You don't, and we all know it. Feel free to carry on some charade about how there is only one method (legislation) to silence opposing views, and pay no attention to the dozens of other more effective ways. SSDD

Uh-huh. Even if we afford you clowns the benefit of the doubt that you have an ounce of commitment to balance, by the time your messaging crowd gets done fucking it up it will be some warmed over version of Coca-Cola's employee training. Pass.

The victimhood!

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/22/1009...-theory-to-education-says-bills-are-misguided

Legislators are calling Critical Race Theory divisive and pushing to ban it in classrooms. NPR's Audie Cornish speaks with Gloria Ladson-Billings, one of the first to apply the theory in education.

CORNISH: So first, tell us. Someone lands on this planet. They've never heard of it. How would you describe your scholarship on critical race theory?
LADSON-BILLINGS: So critical race theory is a series of theoretical propositions that suggest that race and racism are normal, not aberrant, in American life. It relies on several tenets that include things like interest convergence - the notion that, well, you can get something done if you can convince the opposition that it's in their interest, too - things like counter-storytelling or narratives. And I know when people hear storytelling, they say, well, that's not empirical. But if you've ever been in a court of law, everybody's telling a story. They have the same set of facts. They tell the story differently.
CORNISH: How does it apply to the classroom, if at all?
LADSON-BILLINGS: I don't know that it does apply to the classroom. But from an educational policy standpoint, it applies to things like suspension rates, assignment to special education, testing and assessment, curricular access - you know, who gets into honors and AP, who doesn't.
CORNISH: It sounds like what you're saying is this is a theory that allows you to look at all of these policy concerns and education and say, it's not just about the kid or the kid's home or anything like that. It's also because there's some institutional racism.
LADSON-BILLINGS: Right, that there's something larger happening.

CORNISH: Despite the fact that it's not being used correctly - right? - in your eyes when it comes to these pieces of legislation, is there some benefit to this becoming widespread even if it's a bit of a boogeyman?
LADSON-BILLINGS: Not only am I an academic; I'm a mom. I have four adult kids. I have five grandkids who are almost all adults now. My youngest just went off to college this past year. Well, here's what I know about adolescents. The minute you tell them that they can't do something or that something is forbidden, they go to do it. And so this fact that you want to ban it and you don't want it there - trust me. These young people are on their computers, and they're Googling critical race theory. I couldn't buy this level of publicity. I really couldn't. Nobody cared about this stuff.

CORNISH: How do you feel when you read these anecdotes and conservative publications or from critics where they talk about teachers engaging in exercises that they're calling critical race theory - right? - that these critics say is an example of how this ends up playing out?
LADSON-BILLINGS: Well, they typically are incorrect. Most of these folks typically haven't really read anything on critical race theory. And as I've said, I think the critical race theory is the red herring. I think what people are really going after at this point is the 2022 and the 2024 elections. And why would I make that leap? Well, if you cannot win on a policy level - OK, you have an administration that said, you know, we're going to attack COVID, and they did. They said, we're going to do what we can to prop up the economy, and they did. Well, then what you have to do is gin up a culture war. And that's what I think is happening. To me, it's no surprise that critical race theory laws are actually showing up in the very places where voter suppression laws are.

https://www.npr.org/2021/06/22/1009...-theory-to-education-says-bills-are-misguided

Legislators are calling Critical Race Theory divisive and pushing to ban it in classrooms. NPR's Audie Cornish speaks with Gloria Ladson-Billings, one of the first to apply the theory in education.

CORNISH: So first, tell us. Someone lands on this planet. They've never heard of it. How would you describe your scholarship on critical race theory?
LADSON-BILLINGS: So critical race theory is a series of theoretical propositions that suggest that race and racism are normal, not aberrant, in American life. It relies on several tenets that include things like interest convergence - the notion that, well, you can get something done if you can convince the opposition that it's in their interest, too - things like counter-storytelling or narratives. And I know when people hear storytelling, they say, well, that's not empirical. But if you've ever been in a court of law, everybody's telling a story. They have the same set of facts. They tell the story differently.
LADSON-BILLINGS: I don't know that it does apply to the classroom. But from an educational policy standpoint, it applies to things like suspension rates, assignment to special education, testing and assessment, curricular access - you know, who gets into honors and AP, who doesn't.
CORNISH: It sounds like what you're saying is this is a theory that allows you to look at all of these policy concerns and education and say, it's not just about the kid or the kid's home or anything like that. It's also because there's some institutional racism.

CORNISH: Despite the fact that it's not being used correctly - right? - in your eyes when it comes to these pieces of legislation, is there some benefit to this becoming widespread even if it's a bit of a boogeyman?
LADSON-BILLINGS: Not only am I an academic; I'm a mom. I have four adult kids. I have five grandkids who are almost all adults now. My youngest just went off to college this past year. Well, here's what I know about adolescents. The minute you tell them that they can't do something or that something is forbidden, they go to do it. And so this fact that you want to ban it and you don't want it there - trust me. These young people are on their computers, and they're Googling critical race theory. I couldn't buy this level of publicity. I really couldn't. Nobody cared about this stuff.

CORNISH: How do you feel when you read these anecdotes and conservative publications or from critics where they talk about teachers engaging in exercises that they're calling critical race theory - right? - that these critics say is an example of how this ends up playing out?
LADSON-BILLINGS: Well, they typically are incorrect. Most of these folks typically haven't really read anything on critical race theory. And as I've said, I think the critical race theory is the red herring. I think what people are really going after at this point is the 2022 and the 2024 elections. And why would I make that leap? Well, if you cannot win on a policy level - OK, you have an administration that said, you know, we're going to attack COVID, and they did. They said, we're going to do what we can to prop up the economy, and they did. Well, then what you have to do is gin up a culture war. And that's what I think is happening. To me, it's no surprise that critical race theory laws are actually showing up in the very places where voter suppression laws are.

"You can't win on the policy level" is awesomely self-unaware (surprising for Ph to fall victim to this, right?).

Biden isn't giving Pubs anything to run against? Even inside the bubble, you can't be this dense.

If there are such glaring policy issues with Biden why haven’t they gone after those with counter proposals instead of passing “toothless” (as you called them) red meat culture crap like this and transgender bans? I think it’s because they don’t have any policy ideas.

The GOP culture wars and fear based strategies lost them white suburban women bigly in the last election. So they’re ramping up white suburban mom fear where they think it’ll get to them - their kids and their schools. Maybe it’ll work to get them back maybe it won’t but regardless it’s a pretty cynical and craven strategy.

jhmd won’t explain how Republicans are trying to win on the policy level but he’ll criticize me for posting a quote from someone who says they can’t.

Clearly this lady doesn’t know what she is talking about….she doesn’t even mention jury nullification when defining cry, not once.

Of course that's why the party of no and no ideas is drumming up this CRT BS out of nowhere. It's blatantly obvious to all but the biggest morons, and I guess that's why it's not blatantly obvious to jh or Junie.

jhmd won’t explain how Republicans are trying to win on the policy level but he’ll criticize me for posting a quote from someone who says they can’t.

If you're watching the economy, crime, the border and foreign policy, and can't figure out for yourself what Pubs are going to run against, there's nothing I or anyone else can do to help you see it.

Back