• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Honestly, thanks for the answer. Pubs are fucking crazy, yes whites have had a massive advantage in this country. A little introspective thought might change some things.
My pleasure. And dude, yes, that's pretty much all CRT is after. A way of approaching texts, literary and historical, in a way that foregrounds race. That's it.

And not just introspective, but looking outwards, at someone other than ourselves.

So people, what the fuck is it? Is it just the idea that white privilege is built into society because yea duh.

See the brief piece linked in the original post.

There’s a section titled: “What is critical race theory?”.

…oh, and probably what wakephan said.

I don’t pretend to possess any expertise about this; just started the thread because my hunch is Trumpublicans are just creating another boogeyman in their latest edition of dishonest power/fear mongering.

I don’t pretend to possess any expertise about this; just started the thread because my hunch is Trumpublicans are just creating another boogeyman in their latest edition of dishonest power/fear mongering.
Pubs hate to face certain realities. Shit isn’t fair, it has never been fair. Mostly it’s whites that have had a tough shake can’t cope with the fact that
They had a head start and still are in the situation they are in.

Honestly, I don't have an expertise in this area either! But I'm trained to know where to look and who to read and lucky enough to have access to the material.

You're exactly right here that this has become another empty term to villainize people doing regular, everyday anti-racist work by conflating it with theoretical scholarship at the highest intellectual level. Truth is that I either don't understand, disagree with, or haven't encountered much of the good work in CRT. But as you say this is just bullshit posturing and good old fear-mongering

But seriously what the fuck is critical race theory? Cliff notes, but less big gay.

So, your problem was that the guy seemed too gay? Maybe you would do better to concentrate on the substance of what he said?

If you really want to get into critical race theory, first, you have to start feeling guilty, very guilty.

So, your problem was that the guy seemed too gay? Maybe you would do better to concentrate on the substance of what he said?

If you really want to get into critical race theory, first, you have to start feeling guilty, very guilty.

No you don't snowflake.
This is what evil people like you are trying to do to suppress honest conversations about race. Or, maybe if you honestly thought about it, you would feel guilty.
Race plays a role in our society. It impacts people differently. Most people would admit to those statements. Then, the leap to actually consider how it affects different aspects of our lives...."Nooo, you're gonna make me and my kids feel guilty!"

Further to the thread topic than trying to explain it to catamount tonight, banning the teaching of a concept is silly. I remember being challenged by a few ideas I came across to the point of both intellectual discomfort and disagreement, things like epistemic privilege or the idea that assimilation a la “the melting pot” is perhaps antithetical to a pluralist, or at least multicultural society.

But much like other concepts I disliked or disagreed with in philosophy (utilitarianism, the categorical imperative) or in economics or political theory, it’s one thing to read and discuss an idea and another to just accept it as part of your worldview. It’s downright cowardly to ban the teaching of a concept, ideas in academics should be debated and discussed on the merits of their arguments.

If parents are worried their kids will get indoctrinated, they should do the work at home to challenge the thinking of the pedagogy and force their kids to think critically and engage them the same way a teacher would. I can’t imagine being scared of my kid encountering an idea that’s so dangerous that I’d never let him hear it.

But let's de-platform conservatives everywhere we can, just to be safe.

How are conservatives being de-platformed?

I'll let jh answer if he wants, but if this is because universities stopped inviting or canceled invitations for Jordan Peterson to speak on campuses, lol.

Further to the thread topic than trying to explain it to catamount tonight, banning the teaching of a concept is silly. I remember being challenged by a few ideas I came across to the point of both intellectual discomfort and disagreement, things like epistemic privilege or the idea that assimilation a la “the melting pot” is perhaps antithetical to a pluralist, or at least multicultural society.

But much like other concepts I disliked or disagreed with in philosophy (utilitarianism, the categorical imperative) or in economics or political theory, it’s one thing to read and discuss an idea and another to just accept it as part of your worldview. It’s downright cowardly to ban the teaching of a concept, ideas in academics should be debated and discussed on the merits of their arguments.

If parents are worried their kids will get indoctrinated, they should do the work at home to challenge the thinking of the pedagogy and force their kids to think critically and engage them the same way a teacher would. I can’t imagine being scared of my kid encountering an idea that’s so dangerous that I’d never let him hear it.

If a person is stupid enough to think that liberals have banned prayer or religion in schools, they are probably stupid enough to think banning discussion of this concept is no different. If the liberals can ban something they don't like, why can't the "conservatives" ban something they don't like?

This topic feels like bait to use against the democrats, and nothing more. Ask every democratic candidate what they think about spooky critical race theory and get some soundbites to scare suburban parents. The response should be "I trust our educators to educate, and I'm for keeping politicians out of schools, whether I agree with them or not." If I was running the DNC, there would be a huge campaign called "they're lying to you" directed at moderate voters and explaining how shit like this (add the prayer ban myth as well) are just lies used to scare and anger voters.

This topic feels like bait to use against the democrats, and nothing more. Ask every democratic candidate what they think about spooky critical race theory and get some soundbites to scare suburban parents.

This is basically the only card the GOP has in its deck.

Is this serious? The lame duck (but still sitting) President of the United States was kicked off Twitter and Facebook. That doesn't count?

You can argue whether it was right or not, but to deny that the left is silencing the right at all? Be serious.

Is this serious? The lame duck (but still sitting) President of the United States was kicked off Twitter and Facebook. That doesn't count?

You can argue whether it was right or not, but to deny that the left is silencing the right at all? Be serious.

link to where it was "The Left" that banned him from *checks notes* privately run company apps?

Good grief.

You’re conflating conservative with spreading lies, misinformation, and disinformation. With inflammatory dishonesty.

Unfortunately, there are good reasons for this identification.

So dumb. He wasn't silenced because of his conservative views. He has been spouting those along with many others sharing even more conservative views.
Anyway, that is a private company with a TOS. This wasn't our school system banning him.

The whole "we can argue if it was right or not" is a cop out to try to distract from the actual issue. It was right. Dude encourages violence against his detractors and then there was an insurrection. That person should be de-platformed. Not because he is conservative, because he encouraged people in a fashion that contributed to insurrection. Other conservatives can still talk about deregulation and tax cuts as long as they don't threaten other people and encourage insurrectionists.

link to where it was "The Left" that banned him from *checks notes* privately run company apps?

The Left attempts to silence right wing voices at Universities, in government, in media and yes, online. You'd have to be living in a Bubble(TM) to deny it.

The Left attempts to silence right wing voices at Universities, in government, in media and yes, online. You'd have to be living in a Bubble(TM) to deny it.

lemme check Liberty University's visiting speaker roster for the past 10 years

Back