• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

It is worth pointing out that the new TX bill does not purport to ban teaching that the KKK was morally wrong, nor does it purport to ban teaching about the other topics in the tweet. It is just saying that those topics are not legally required for K-12 instruction. The Board can still develop curriculum for these topics if they choose, and there is nothing about the law that prohibits individual districts, schools, or teachers from teaching these topics if they choose.

That said, legislative requirements for education are not meaningless and, for that reason, I prefer the prior Texas anti-CRT law--the one that was enacted earlier this year--which stated, in relevant part:

I don't have my finger on the pulse of TX politics, so I can't say why the same TX senate that enacted the above law is now voting in favor of narrowing the list of required topics. All I can say is that I don't agree with it and that that is perfectly consistent with being anti-CRT.

I can't edit, but I just re-read the above and the last line isn't clear. I was trying to say that I don't agree with the new law and that disagreement with the new law is perfectly consistent with being anti-CRT. Anti-CRT isn't about not teaching the KKK was morally wrong, MLK's "I have a Dream Speech," Frederick Douglass's writings, etc. Anti-CRT is just opposed to CRT.

I’m not in favor of school choice. I’m in favor of supporting all neighborhood schools. Hell I’m in favor of supporting all neighborhoods.

The ideal of making sure all children have a good education is so unfamiliar to you. You can’t even comprehend it.

Everybody who bought a house in the Broughton High School District definitely "supports neighborhood schools" and "opposes school choice." Cool, just keep that equality lecture to yourself. Nobody believes you believe it.

I wonder what the percentage of people who "oppose school choice" and "supports neighborhood schools" even graduated from their own neighborhood high school.

you hear that raleigh people? all of you just buy a house in the broughton high school district.

Explain how your policy will reduce inequality.

If the best high school is in a neighborhood that I can't afford, and I have no option to apply, I don't have access to the best high school. If I have a choice to enter a lottery for it, then I do. Why should your eligibility for a public school be based on your ability to pay?

Explain how your policy will reduce inequality.

Just for fun, let's say that you live in a red county in a red state, and your principal/PTA forbids the instruction of CRT. Wouldn't you like an opt-out option and still be in public schools?

I know that you're intentionally being dense which is as expected. If a school fails in its mission (and it's okay to say that when it is true), shouldn't there be some consequences? How better to gauge performance than by the votes of the end-users (a/k/a the way we do it in every other meaningful activity). Why is this the one activity where the consumers don't get any say?

Schools are not businesses and students are not clients/consumers. That’s why this activity is treated differently than other open market traded resources, because it is different.

I’m beginning to think this dumbass actually believes everyone can choose the same school.

Schools are not businesses and students are not clients/consumers. That’s why this activity is treated differently than other open market traded resources, because it is different.

But the schools exist only to serve the interests of the families. That's the only reason we build them. Why silence the voices of the most important stakeholders? Whose judgment do you trust more?

If the best high school is in a neighborhood that I can't afford, and I have no option to apply, I don't have access to the best high school. If I have a choice to enter a lottery for it, then I do. Why should your eligibility for a public school be based on your ability to pay?

What makes that the best high school?

Will the residents of that area generally be going to that school or is it totally open enrollment? If not open enrollment, how many slots are open to everyone? Who gets to pick first in this school selection lottery?

But the schools exist only to serve the interests of the families. That's the only reason we build them. Why silence the voices of the most important stakeholders? Whose judgment do you trust more?

Who is silencing the Families?

It is worth pointing out that the new TX bill does not purport to ban teaching that the KKK was morally wrong, nor does it purport to ban teaching about the other topics in the tweet. It is just saying that those topics are not legally required for K-12 instruction. The Board can still develop curriculum for these topics if they choose, and there is nothing about the law that prohibits individual districts, schools, or teachers from teaching these topics if they choose.

Hold on - So an article/tweet posted and pushed by Tunnels scholars such as WakeForestRanger, PhDeac, HighlandDeac, Shooshmoo, and WFFaithful was misleading or less than accurate??

tenor.gif

Just for fun, let's say that you live in a red county in a red state, and your principal/PTA forbids the instruction of CRT. Wouldn't you like an opt-out option and still be in public schools?

Curriculum decisions like that are not being made at the individual school level so I think I’d be SOL with regard to public schools. They’d all have that curriculum. I’d still send them to public school

What makes that the best high school?

Will the residents of that area generally be going to that school or is it totally open enrollment? If not open enrollment, how many slots are open to everyone? Who gets to pick first in this school selection lottery?

Question #1; Let the parents pick the best high school for their student. There are a number of factors, each of which is better known to the family of the student than some bureaucracy.

Question #2: The way charters work is you have a 100% blind lottery for new students. Families already enrolled in that school get a sibling preference (that makes sense under any system, but as long as it is blind on the way in there isn't a bias in favor of any one pool of applicants). You could do a ranked choice format, where you pick your preferred school, second and third.

Curriculum decisions like that are not being made at the individual school level so I think I’d be SOL with regard to public schools. They’d all have that curriculum. I’d still send them to public school

This is what is known as "fighting the hypothetical."

I’m beginning to think this dumbass actually believes everyone can choose the same school.

Conservatives have always supported broad, market-opening-type policies as a means of reducing inequality. They do it for a reason, though, because 1) it's cheap and easy, 2) implementation rests entirely on communities and individual participation, 3) when it fails they can then blame individuals and communities for failing to attain/implement, and 4) despite the policy framework itself being the problem, these folks are able to keep their ideological priors intact.

It's all a game to conservatives. Heritage, AEI, Cato, etc. will apply the same tired policy to every social problem and when it inevitably fails, they'll blame poor people and POC for not being able to bootstrap themselves into social mobility.

Hold on - So an article/tweet posted and pushed by Tunnels scholars such as WakeForestRanger, PhDeac, HighlandDeac, Shooshmoo, and WFFaithful was misleading or less than accurate??

tenor.gif

Says the guy who tried to claim that in Florida more people die of heart disease in a week than from Covid and then blamed it on MSExcel incompatibility with his Commodore 64.

Back