• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

"Desirable" schools are often noted as such for being newer, better facilities, better resources, safer, etc. Why can't we just make it so all the schools in a district are on an even footing? The so-called failing school that has issues with violence, why not provide resources to make it match the better succeeding schools within the same district? Under your school choice plan, kids are still going to have to go to the quote-un-quote bad schools, why not try to fix those?

tenor.gif

Your nonsensical transportation subsidy aside (nobody has ever said that), full, free choice would make schools better. All of them. That's the goal, right?

And there it is. There's where your faux altruism dies.

the difference is that the choice system gives much more equal access to the better schools than the current system, which is largely driven by the buying power of homeowner

Instead of the power of the homeowner, you want school access determined by the buying power of car owners and the available leisure time of the student's parents.

I work in a low income school and most of my students struggle with transportation issues, because their parents are working 60+ hours/week to get by on poverty wages. When I call they can't answer because they are at work.

Why are you punishing low income students because their parents have to work more than other students?

Last edited:
Your nonsensical transportation subsidy aside (nobody has ever said that), full, free choice would make schools better. All of them. That's the goal, right?

So we are after evidence and results based solutions, right? Do you have evidence or results to back this assertion up? Or are you presenting a prediction and opinion as fact?

And there it is. There's where your faux altruism dies.

the difference is that the choice system gives much more equal access to the better schools than the current system, which is largely driven by the buying power of homeowner

Instead of the power of the homeowner, you want school access determined by the buying power of car owners and the available leisure time of the student's parents.

I work in a low income school and most of my students struggle with transportation issues, because their parents are working 60+ hours/week to get by on poverty wages. When I call they can't answer because they are at work.

Why are you punishing low income students because their parents have to work more than other students?

Buddy, I'm asking them to arrange transport to a different neighborhood. You're asking them to buy a house in that neighborhood.

"Desirable" schools are often noted as such for being newer, better facilities, better resources, safer, etc. Why can't we just make it so all the schools in a district are on an even footing? The so-called failing school that has issues with violence, why not provide resources to make it match the better succeeding schools within the same district? Under your school choice plan, kids are still going to have to go to the quote-un-quote bad schools, why not try to fix those?

If your plan "fixed" those schools, why are they broken right now?

How are those bus routes going to work with kids going to random schools? Sounds like we’ll need more buses (raise taxes jh?) and more time (seems reasonable to ask kids to get up at 4am to catch the bus).

Buddy, I'm asking them to arrange transport to a different neighborhood. You're asking them to buy a house in that neighborhood.

No I'm not. I'm asking the local taxpayers and voters to green light changes which will make all schools the same. Regardless of location.

This is your idea. I'm just running with it.

Why is transportation such an issue for you? Why do low income students deserve less access than wealthy students?

Perhaps, do you have a (not so) hidden agenda?

You’re aware that public schools provide transportation right? That’s what those giant yellow things with flashing lights are. In your plan people need to “arrange transportation?” Good luck with that.

No I'm not. I'm asking the local taxpayers and voters to green light changes which will make all schools the same. Regardless of location.

This is your idea. I'm just running with it.

Why is transportation such an issue for you? Why do low income students deserve less access than wealthy students?

Perhaps, do you have a (not so) hidden agenda?

The way we do it now. You get transportation to your local school, but if you want a different one, you get the choice to apply. It's the system we have now, but with choice. Under my plan, if you don't like your school, you get the option to look elsewhere.

You want the system we have now, but without it. Under your system, only wealthy kids have the option to look elsewhere.

I'll ask you your same question: Why do low income students deserve less access than wealthy students?

The way we do it now. You get transportation to your local school, but if you want a different one, you get the choice to apply. It's the system we have now, but with choice. Under my plan, if you don't like your school, you get the option to look elsewhere.

You want the system we have now, but without it. Under your system, only wealthy kids have the option to look elsewhere.

I'll ask you your same question: Why do low income students deserve less access than wealthy students?

I'm sorry, I thought this was about nullifying the advantage of home ownership. We agreed on a simple application process and then random school assignment regardless of your home address.

So in your plan people automatically get transportation to their "home" school but then it is on their parents to get their students the "better" school across town if they choose?

How do "home schools' even exist if we're all randomly getting drawn into different schools all over the county? I thought you were eliminating home schools?

JH or Junebug (I can never remember) we've got to hammer out these details my friend. The details are really important in something as transformative as this policy change.

Last edited:
I'm sorry ,I thought this was about nullifying the advantage of home ownership.

So in your plan people automatically get transportation to their "home" school but then it is on their parents to get their students the "better" school across town if they choose?

How do "home schools' even exist if we're all randomly getting drawn into different schools all over the county? I thought you were eliminating home schools?

In North Carolina, the State Constitution guarantees you an education. To the extent that that guaranty includes transportation (I don't see the nexus, but as a matter of policy we've decided it does), we have traditionally chosen to provide transportation. We could carry that forward, which would be a factor for people in which school they choose (i.e., we live on the bus route for Brasky Elementary School, that is the easiest solution for our family). If there is a transportation hardship, maybe those kids could get priority/waiver. In the worst case scenario, my plan is the status quo. What's the harm in giving people choice?

In North Carolina, the State Constitution guarantees you an education. To the extent that that guaranty includes transportation (I don't see the nexus, but as a matter of policy we've decided it does), we have traditionally chosen to provide transportation. We could carry that forward, which would be a factor for people in which school they choose (i.e., we live on the bus route for Brasky Elementary School, that is the easiest solution for our family). If there is a transportation hardship, maybe those kids could get priority/waiver. In the worst case scenario, my plan is the status quo. What's the harm in giving people choice?

The harm is that you are only giving affluent families with transportation and parents who have the mornings/afternoons off, choice.

You originally agreed with my blind assignment idea, but only because you knew it would favor higher income families. If you can't provide transportation to these "better" schools, then you are intentionally making the "choice" harder for low income students and their working class parents.

And that is you goal. You want more rights and privileges for people who can afford it. Fuck the poors.

The harm is that you are only giving affluent families with transportation and parents who have the mornings/afternoons off, choice.

You originally agreed with my blind assignment idea, but only because you knew it would favor higher income families. If you can't provide transportation to these "better" schools, then you are intentionally making the "choice" harder for low income students and their working class parents.

And that is you goal. You want more rights and privileges for people who can afford it. Fuck the poors.

The. Worst. Case. Scenario. Under. My. Plan. Is. The. Current. Plan.

The. Worst. Case. Scenario. Under. My. Plan. Is. The. Current. Plan.

It is not the worst case scenario, it is the reality of your plan. Your school choice without transportation plan will do nothing but make the "better" schools even more overcrowded and provide the "lesser" schools with less students, and therefore less funding and resources.

So you want to make public education worse for everyone. Is that it?

Oh wait, I think that's it.

I get the feeling the basic details and questions of your plan have not been thought about. Is bludgeoning people with empty talking points and marketing how you think the “real world” does things? You should get out of your bubble.

What is the incentive for schools to be better under this plan? Are they getting paid by the state, per student? If so, what is to stop the "good" schools from one day-or incrementally-deciding to take on way more students than they have resources to provide for (as happens with private prisons)? If not, why would a school care if they get more students at all (thus, what is their motivation to become good or stay good)?

BOARD CONSERVATIVES

Can you please use your goddamn overeducated brains and come up with feasible policy changes before you start spouting off nonsense talking points.

What are they teaching you at these simpleton charter and private schools? Because its certainly not critical thinking skills.

Back