• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

But the path the GOP is choosing is exactly the problem here. Using the power of the state to suppress thought and speech through legislation is very different than Libs vocally pushing their ideas and ideals in society to the detriment of conservative ideas and ideals. No liberal legislature has passed a law dictating that college professors can no longer teach trickle down economics. Conservative ideas are losing out in the market of ideas on college campuses because they suck, not because they were banned.

This is what it all comes down to right here. White supremacy has been the dominant narrative for the entire history of this country including in our educational spaces. People are rejecting white supremacist narratives so conservatives are working harder to keep forcing it on us.

The New York Times has an article out today about this very subject. Apparently the GOP increasingly feels that attacking "indoctrinating" kids with Critical Race Theory (or what they call CRT) is a winning issue for the 2022 elections. Convince parents that CRT is being taught to their kids in public schools and profit at the voting booth in 2022 and possibly 2024. The Times article also notes that Republicans are having a hard time attacking Biden's economic policies: "Republicans’ attacks on critical race theory are in sync with the party’s broad strategy to run on culture-war issues in the 2022 midterm elections, rather than campaigning head-on against Biden’s economic agenda — which has proved popular with voters — as the country emerges from the coronavirus pandemic."

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/disputing-racisms-reach-republicans-rattle-114313360.html

Are the lefty historians who rejected the 1619 Project based upon its factual inaccuracies also white supremacists?

It's really funny that conservatives are so freaked out about critical race theory.

I had my students read Crenshaw's original essay on intersectionality last year and they were shocked at how little it resembled the hype around CRT.

I can't upload them due to size limits, but here are links to what I think are the two most important essays in the CRT tradition:

"Demarginalizing the Intersection of Race and Sex" (1989) by Kimberle Crenshaw

"Whiteness as Property" (1993) by Cheryl I. Harris

It's always important to actually know about what you're raging against (even if you're a conservative)!

Honestly, the only fields where I have seen a concerted attempt to teach more CRT are in Law Schools and in Africana Studies/African-American Studies departments.

It's almost like the name "Critical Race Theory" freaked conservatives out when it was suggested as a good way to learn about the legacy of institutional racism and white supremacy in the United States, pollsters and campaign comms folks noticed the uptick in conservatives' collective blood pressures, and they never looked back.

How many conservatives are in your department, birdman? Or in any other non-administrative capacity at your university/college?

The reason college professors are no longer teaching trickle down economics has very little (nothing??) to do with the merits of the theory.

Conservative ideas aren't "losing out in the market of ideas". Conservative ideas aren't even permitted to compete in the university/college market because departments dominated by libs & progressives are only hiring like minded individuals to keep the echo chamber intact.

LOL, I was faculty in a Forestry department in Alabama for 10 years, we had plenty of conservative, climate change denying, get the government off my land, faculty in the program. How many university hiring committees have you participated in? My personal sample size is 6 faculty search committees in 11 years as a faculty member at 2 different large state universities and not once did political affiliation come up during the review or interview process. Perhaps your extensive experience with the university hiring process was/is different.

Nothing has been banned by libs on campuses, except maybe smoking. No ideas are not permitted in the class room, your problem is that bad ideas tend to fall by the wayside. You dumb fucks running around with your hair on fire about communism in the Democratic party are simultaneously supporting state sponsored regulation of speech and education curriculum. Talk about hypocrisy.

The #3 guy in our department at an elite public university is a Republican and he is not without company in our field or the social sciences. There are plenty of conservatives and right-leaning folks in academia. We've been over this before.

Honestly, the only fields where I have seen a concerted attempt to teach more CRT are in Law Schools and in Africana Studies/African-American Studies departments.

It's almost like the name "Critical Race Theory" freaked conservatives out when it was suggested as a good way to learn about the legacy of institutional racism and white supremacy in the United States, pollsters and campaign comms folks noticed the uptick in conservatives' collective blood pressures, and they never looked back.

Communication's debate influence introduces a lot of CRT/afropess into graduate programs, from my view - Black/colonial lit the same in English

Trickle down economics failed. Miserably. We tried it. Inequality is far worse than it was 40 years ago. Professors are expected to teach facts and have reasonable discussions of theory based on facts.

You can argue whether it was right or not, but to deny that the left is silencing the right at all? Be serious.

The Left attempts to silence right wing voices at Universities, in government, in media and yes, online. You'd have to be living in a Bubble(TM) to deny it.

Lol you're such a fucking moron. At least Junebug can still form a coherent argument

I'm not even thinking about angus, who hasn't ever had an original thought.

If you're looking for conservative college faculty, angus, check out business schools, law schools, econ departments, philosophy departments, classics departments and others

I'm not even thinking about angus, who hasn't ever had an original thought.

If you're looking for conservative college faculty, angus, check out business schools, law schools, econ departments, philosophy departments, classics departments and others

Why wouldn't I be able to find them in every department?

LOL, I was faculty in a Forestry department in Alabama for 10 years, we had plenty of conservative, climate change denying, get the government off my land, faculty in the program. How many university hiring committees have you participated in? My personal sample size is 6 faculty search committees in 11 years as a faculty member at 2 different large state universities and not once did political affiliation come up during the review or interview process. Perhaps your extensive experience with the university hiring process was/is different.

Nothing has been banned by libs on campuses, except maybe smoking. No ideas are not permitted in the class room, your problem is that bad ideas tend to fall by the wayside. You dumb fucks running around with your hair on fire about communism in the Democratic party are simultaneously supporting state sponsored regulation of speech and education curriculum. Talk about hypocrisy.

But the point FUCKING REMAINS!

Why wouldn't I be able to find them in every department?

You’re asking why people with different beliefs would spend their careers becoming experts in different fields of study.

I got to give you credit for sticking with the same troll.

No I am not. There are different paths to the same result.

Can you elaborate what path you’re following to get to the end argument that the left has banned conservative arguments from the academy?

Why does corporate America and the us military discriminate against liberal ideologies!!!?

Back