• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

Because I have a kid in the system.

So you should be able to tell teachers what to teach? Why not just teach them yourself since you obviously know better? Or for that matter, why should teachers be considered professionals if non-educators like yourself can dictate to them what they can teach and what materials they can use in the classroom? Why would anyone want to become a teacher under that scenario?

Democracy. School Boards are elected. Unpopular ones are not reelected.

Democracy. School Boards are elected. Unpopular ones are not reelected.

That doesn't answer the question: should non-educators like yourself be able to dictate and micro-manage teachers in what they can teach. Even if a school board is elected it doesn't represent all parents in a school system, so why should only your views dominate? And why would anyone want to teach under that scenario when, even if they're a teacher of the year, they can be reprimanded and have a permanent mark on their record for angering a single parent?

Richard Wright doesn't show negative bits of American history and racism? Learing about the Harlem Rennesance is racist?

Richard Wright doesn't show negative bits of American history and racism?

But you see we're not just talking about you, center. How do you think those TX state legislators would feel about Richard Wright? And why are all of these right-wing parents complaining about teaching racism making their kids feel bad, or conflating merely teaching about racism with CRT?

It’s pretty much an extension of dumb fucks thinking they know more than people whose job it is to know the things they know and act accordingly. A continued creep where intelligence, experience, and expertise are considered negatives and equal to the random “research” you did online and the other trash you’ve consumed.

I'd vote against them. And I'd vote against someone who told a parent "fuck you." But parents have a say, even if it is at the ballot box.

It’s pretty much an extension of dumb fucks thinking they know more than people whose job it is to know the things they know and act accordingly. A continued creep where intelligence, experience, and expertise are considered negatives and equal to the random “research” you did online and the other trash you’ve consumed.

No doubt. It’s all the conservative cycle of tearing down institutions, sowing distrust in institutions, running on anger about institutions, and getting elected to tear down those institutions.

Ah, we've reverted to the echo chamber. I haven't even started on voting against people who are destroying gifted and talented programs under the claim of racism. I'm not voting to change anything where I live.

Agreed. We're living through a massive assault on the very idea of experts and expertise. Trumpites and right-wing media have convinced many people that anyone with credentials or grad degrees or who is a professional in their field is really just a snooty elitist looking down their noses at "Real Americans" and that they actually don't know anything, so their advice is worthless. The assault on public education and the mythical CRT threat is another front in this culture war.

Ah, we've reverted to the echo chamber. I haven;t even started on voting against people who are destroying gifted and talented programs under the claim of racism.

There is no echo chamber. You keep saying that because you personally wouldn't do any of these things that it doesn't matter. Yet it's happening anyway, and you seem to dismiss it. And nobody here is saying that parents don't already have some say via school boards, only that they should not be able to dictate the curriculum as it clearly seems these "concerned parent" groups and state legislatures are trying to do.

All I am is one person, one vote just like you.

I've given my time to rallies, volunteering on camapaigns, donating to candidates and even hurting my business to run myself. No one was moved. So I vote and expresss my opinion in small places and I'm done.

All I am is one person, one vote just like you.

I've given my time to rallies, volunteering on camapaigns, donating to candidates and even hurting my business to run myself. No one was moved. So I vote and expresss my opinion in small places and I'm done.

Great, but that doesn't address the larger issue that we're discussing. Again, you seem to be saying that since you wouldn't do these things that it doesn't matter, and yet it's happening in TX and other places whether you agree or not. And you seem to be arguing their points for them.

Back