• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

That’s not what he asked.

If we want to teach about systemic oppression and implicit biases, that's a part of our society, history and common experience. It would be dumb to ban the discussion as a matter of policy.

Do you all really think this message is having a hard time permeating our academic discourse? Who thinks that in 2021?

no I fail my white students if they don't feel a deep shame about their race after we read White Fragility, sailor's right

that's why I really enjoy teaching public speaking, when I think about it

If we want to teach about systemic oppression and implicit biases, that's a part of our society, history and common experience. It would be dumb to ban the discussion as a matter of policy.

Do you all really think this message is having a hard time permeating our academic discourse? Who thinks that in 2021?

then why are elected officials trying to ban it?

What an interesting post. He rejects the mainline conservative argument. Then he poses a weird straw man question. I don’t see where that question comes from. But props for understand why government shouldn’t ban teaching about the uglier aspects of our society.

Because they believe they are fighting back in a culture war. They view CRT as politically-driven and divisive.

Of course talking about their politically driven divisiveness is not politically driven and divisive.

The message exists because of our academic discourse

I agree with that. But if the ratio I found (ranging from 10:1 to 12:1) is close to correct, to what extent does that imbalance jeopardize the search for truth?

I think they should run towards the ideas that make them uncomfortable. I think you guys should too.

and yet, we still don't know if you think it's a bad move for Republican elected officials to implement bans of critical race theory

and yet, we still don't know if you think it's a bad move for Republican elected officials to implement bans of critical race theory

We do know that. I've said so in this thread. That doesn't mean that I can't point out hypocrisy when the "10" accuse the "1" of stifling their ideas. It's 10:1.

We do know that. I've said so in this thread. That doesn't mean that I can't point out hypocrisy when the "10" accuse the "1" of stifling their ideas. It's 10:1.

But it's not the liberals who are controlling state governments in this instance, it's Republicans. They're the ones who are banning what's being taught in schools and colleges, not liberals. Unless you can point to liberal state governments doing the same, your hypocrisy doesn't exist.

I think they should run towards the ideas that make them uncomfortable. I think you guys should too.

We are mostly white dudes talking about crt. We are trying to run towards it. What a weird why to try a gotcha. It’s your Republicans running away from uncomfortable truths.

But it's not the liberals who are controlling state governments in this instance, it's Republicans. They're the ones who are banning what's being taught in schools and colleges, not liberals. Unless you can point to liberal state governments doing the same, your hypocrisy doesn't exist.

So as I said to Townie, there are different ways to stifle opposing ideas, but they lead to the same result. Pubs are using one way, but it isn't the only way. Do you think that the only ideological forces at work in education are the voices of Red State legislatures? Are they even in the top 10 most influential in driving discourse?

You think our nation’s grade schools provide an accurate view of the complexity of its history? I know I didn’t get that growing up in Mississippi and then North Carolina. It was quite whitewashed and watered down. Lots of uncomfortable stuff left out as to not get in the way of American exceptionalism.
You don’t think that is standard across much of the country?

So as I said to Townie, there are different ways to stifle opposing ideas, but they lead to the same result. Pubs are using one way, but it isn't the only way. Do you think that the only ideological forces at work in education are the voices of Red State legislatures? Are they even in the top 10 most influential in driving discourse?

What is your example of stifling? The fact that more educators are democrats isn’t stifling. That’s your feelings.

Back