• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

As if teachers aren't micro-managed enough. There's a bill proposed by GOP NC legislators that passed the NC House and moved to the NC Senate that would require all NC public school teachers to publish online their lesson plans for parental approval. By the end of each school year "teachers would have to post an outline of what was taught during the year as well as information the public could access to follow up on the material. Teachers would also be required to publicly post “the lesson plans that were used at the school during the prior school year.” According to the bill, “Lesson plans shall identify, at a minimum, (i) all instructional materials by the title and the author, organization, or website associated with each material and activity, (ii) a brief descriptor of the instructional material, and (iii) a link to the instructional material, if publicly available on the internet, or information on how to request review of a copy of the instructional material in person.” Districts would also have to put on their website how materials and instruction are reviewed by the district."

This comes after NC GOP Lt. Governor Mark Robinson created a webpage so that people could report teachers who are "indoctrinating" students and pushed for a panel to "investigate" any reports. A GOP legislator from Iredell County said that “Hopefully we’re just going to teach the kids, we’re not going to try to indoctrinate them", while a Democratic legislator from Buncombe County criticized the bill and called it a "solution looking for a problem" (sounds like the voter restriction laws). Another Democratic legislator said that "This just seems like a pretty large burden to put onto educators...This feels like a heavy-handed element of government.”

The NCAE is strongly opposed to the bill: “This completely unnecessary and unimaginably burdensome law would require teachers and school districts to post online a comprehensive list of all teaching, classroom and assignment materials used by every teacher in every class session. Every single book, article, video clip, song, webpage, or even any assignment or assessment would have to be documented, organized, collected and posted to the web. Every. Single. One. And to what end? So right-wing conservatives can cherry-pick examples of ‘liberal indoctrination’? So that legislators who have not taught a day in their lives can bully and undermine our professionalism? Not on our watch.”

A number of teachers have also criticized the bill. A middle school teacher in Charlotte called the bill demoralizing, and said “It’s a solution in search of a problem. It’s something that I don’t think the majority of parents are calling for." After an already difficult year, Parmenter says this would add to teacher’s workload and would create more issues with North Carolina retaining educators. “I think this year, more than any year that I can remember, we’re going to have to worry about how we’re going to retain teachers, how are we going to make sure that we have excellent teachers and enough of them.” Steve Oreskovic is an 8th-grade teacher in CMS. He says the bill is a slap in the face. “I really wish the party in control of the legislature would help teachers rather than try to micromanage or create issues where there are none,” Oreskovic says.

If you deliberately wanted to drive teachers out of the profession, you couldn't do a much better job than all of these bills that are being proposed across the country in GOP legislatures.

Link: https://www.ednc.org/05-06-2021-lawmakers-want-lesson-plans-posted-online/
Link: https://www.wccbcharlotte.com/2021/05/10/bill-requiring-nc-teachers-to-post-all-lessons-plans-and-other-materials-online-passes-state-house/

Why do you repeat in the same post sometimes? It’s weird.

Why do you repeat in the same post sometimes? It’s weird.

I have no idea, I didn't even know it was happening. I do edit my posts, maybe that has something to do with it. I've seen other posters with double posts sometimes.

Sure but they post twice.

Well, I guess I'll pay closer attention and make sure my edits don't lead to the same stuff being repeated.

Cobb County schools voted to ban CRT last night. 4 Rs voted for the ban. 3 Ds abstained.

I wonder what MLB will take this time.

The idea of banning anything is just so antithetical to the concept of education.

Cobb County schools voted to ban CRT last night. 4 Rs voted for the ban. 3 Ds abstained.

I wonder what MLB will take this time.

The idea of banning anything is just so antithetical to the concept of education.

This again?

so, sailor took his mask off while I was gone? James Lindsey lol

Good news is that other states can teach about what racist shithole states like Florida are doing in their critical race theory classes. It's a perfect example.

Bonus is they can also teach this in their cancel culture classes.

JHMD is a proud old white man today. Big day for him.

Two Black Students Won School Honors. Then Came the Calls for a Recount.

After two white families claimed a grade calculation error, a Mississippi school added their children as co-valedictorian and co-salutatorian, reviving questions about race and equity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/11/us/west-point-high-school-valedictorian.amp.html

“At issue was just how to calculate who the top two students were. Ikeria and Layla won based on a calculation of quality point average or Q.P.A., a system of calculating grades that gave extra weight to advanced placement and dual credit courses. But, it turned out, Dominic and Emma were the top two finishers based on unweighted grade point average.”

“Some cited, at least in perception, family influence as a potential factor in the naming of co-honorees. Emma Berry is a descendant of the co-founder of Bryan Foods, once West Point’s largest employer. Even though the local Bryan pork processing factory shut down in 2007, the extended Bryan family remains among the town’s most influential. Several local institutions bear the family name, including the public library.”

“The Washington and Temple families are considering a lawsuit, and they have enlisted the advice of Ms. Ross, the lawyer from Jackson. She questions the methodology used to determine class rank in West Point — saying it makes no sense — and why weighted scores are not used.

“Anybody in education knows that a weighted G.P.A. signifies that a student has taken more rigorous courses than a student with a 4.0 G.P.A.,” Ms. Ross said.”

Ridiculous. This is what happens when white families so desperately need to believe in white supremacy. This is exactly why schools need to teach actual history and a critical evaluation of the past and present of our society.

Ron DeSantis is such a dope. He just takes whatever is inciting the rubes on Fox News that week and makes a law about it.

Sure and it sucks because Fox News is all about fake outrage over things that are easy to "solve."

But don't you wish Democrats were like that? Dem base is angry about voter restrictions? Dem politicians just pass laws to stop voter restrictions.

Dems would actually have to have power in those states to do that. But they're generally red and/or gerrymandered to hell so no chance. We're dealing with the tyranny of the minority and our democracy is already gone in those states. Have to cheat like they do to win. It's the only way.

Back