• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

he also doesn't seem to understand that higher education systems and secondary education systems are both public, but actually very different types of educational institutions

it's almost like these dudes aren't interested in debating the issues here, you guys!

You didn't say you were in higher education in your post. Instead, you responded, in a discussion where people were claiming that CRT was not being taught in secondary schools, stating that you taught CRT in a public school system. I would hope you can see what led to the confusion.

Anyway, now that we have agreed that CRT is a legal theory: what do you think about its challenges to legal concepts of "discrimination," "disparate impact" and "property?"

I first heard of CRT in a class on the history of American legal thought when I was in law school over 20 years ago. I read a few CRT law review articles, a few articles rebutting those articles (including Posner's critique), we spent a few days talking about it, and I haven't engaged with it since. If I ever knew, I have forgotten CRT's challenges to the concepts of "discrimination," "disparate impact," and "property." If you tell me what those challenges are, I will be happy to tell you what I think of them.

I'm sure it will be no surprise to anyone, but Fox News has apparently been interviewing GOP/right-wing activists and party workers and passing them off as everyday parents and educators who are "concerned" about the teaching of CRT in public schools.

"Almost a dozen guests the network has talked to about their opposition to teaching "critical race theory" in schools "also have day jobs as Republican strategists, conservative think-tankers, or right-wing media personalities," the progressive watchdog Media Matters for America reported Thursday. Fox reportedly either downplayed or ignored this fact during several segments...The Media Matters report criticized Fox for this presentation of its guests, writing that while Republican strategists "have every right to advocate for their children and their communities," the network also has "a responsibility to inform its viewers about exactly who it's talking to."

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-reportedly-presented-gop-173138069.html

I first heard of CRT in a class on the history of American legal thought when I was in law school over 20 years ago. I read a few CRT law review articles, a few articles rebutting those articles (including Posner's critique), we spent a few days talking about it, and I haven't engaged with it since. If I ever knew, I have forgotten CRT's challenges to the concepts of "discrimination," "disparate impact," and "property." If you tell me what those challenges are, I will be happy to tell you what I think of them.

By “property” are you talking about the concept of “whiteness” as a property interest?

sweet

I'm sure it will be no surprise to anyone, but Fox News has apparently been interviewing GOP/right-wing activists and party workers and passing them off as everyday parents and educators who are "concerned" about the teaching of CRT in public schools.

"Almost a dozen guests the network has talked to about their opposition to teaching "critical race theory" in schools "also have day jobs as Republican strategists, conservative think-tankers, or right-wing media personalities," the progressive watchdog Media Matters for America reported Thursday. Fox reportedly either downplayed or ignored this fact during several segments...The Media Matters report criticized Fox for this presentation of its guests, writing that while Republican strategists "have every right to advocate for their children and their communities," the network also has "a responsibility to inform its viewers about exactly who it's talking to."

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/fox-news-reportedly-presented-gop-173138069.html

FABRICATED WEDGE ISSUE

5b429ab5cac7b895d6f9eeb2ec0eee3d.jpg

This “conservative” fake crisis?

Glad you agree.

Oh, that’s probably not what you meant.

Who knows what he meant? Does he even know?

He just reflex posts at this point.

60 million people were killed in World War II, but we're going to talk about...the implementation of government benefits? The Bubble never sleeps.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see the new and improved jh (now available with the Tucker Carlson bow tie!) is back to playing the old jh’s 2nd favorite song, “It’s not racism!”

60 million people were killed in World War II, but we're going to talk about...the implementation of government benefits? The Bubble never sleeps.

Seems like the lesson is about the GI Bill and not about the war.

Seems like the lesson is about the GI Bill and not about the war.

The lesson should be about treating people equally, regardless of their skin color. I hope everyone studies that very carefully.

Thanks to you guys, the Asian students need to study that lesson twice as hard, if it's going to be on the test that counts. Because of your heartfelt commitment and totally consistent commitment to equality, of course. Be sure and tell them why. Definitely use World War II as the reason. They'll love that.

Back