• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Banning Critical Race Theory

It is not the worst case scenario, it is the reality of your plan. Your school choice without transportation plan will do nothing but make the "better" schools even more overcrowded and provide the "lesser" schools with less students, and therefore less funding and resources.

So you want to make public education worse for everyone. Is that it?

Oh wait, I think that's it.

I want to make it better than it currently is, by installing some measure of accountability. Since you all are so afraid of testing, this seems like the most useful method: give the people for whom the schools were built a direct voice in resource allocations.

But for some reason, this effort at accountability is also unacceptable to you. Just like that last one, just like the next one...

I want to make it better than it currently is, by installing some measure of accountability. Since you all are so afraid of testing, this seems like the most useful method: give the people for whom the schools were built a direct voice in resource allocations.

But for some reason, this effort at accountability is also unacceptable to you. Just like that last one, just like the next one...

When did I say I was against testing? I just got promoted to Social Studies lead for my school because of my ability to raise test and reading scores. I'm all for accountability. I teach my students how to comprehend what they're reading, not to memorized dates and events. Analyzing motive and understanding cause and effect are my other priorities. All of these things improve test scores.

Now back to the topic. How are we going to give EVERY student the same choice?

Last edited:
So the GOP-controlled Missouri state legislature holds a hearing about how racism should be taught in Missouri public schools in which no black teachers, scholars, or parents testified. Even better is that a bunch of politicians - the vast majority of whom are no doubt not educators - are presuming to tell teachers how they should be teaching racial issues in the classroom.

"Aside from an official from Missouri’s education department, the only people who testified Monday were critics of critical race theory, which is a way of thinking about America’s history through the lens of racism...Missouri NAACP President Rod Chapel called it “ridiculous” to have a conversation about inequity while “excluding the very people who are saying we’ve been treated inequitably.” “That talks more to the kind of hearing that they wanted to have than the information that they wanted to gather,” Chapel told reporters after the hearing. “They wanted to hear from their friends who were going to support their political talking points.”

Heather Fleming, a former Missouri teacher who now offers diversity and inclusion training, said she wanted to testify Monday but was not allowed. She said without any African Americans involved in the discussion, “you’re talking about us, without us.” “What not having any African Americans in the room really showed was that this wasn’t really about understanding,” Fleming said.

“Some students are having serious emotional problems dealing with the CRT, or social justice, concepts being taught in our schools,” Katie Rash, a leader in the Missouri chapter of the group No Left Turn in Education, told the committee Monday.

So Ms. Rash has a problem with (white) students learning about social justice issues, but I'm betting that she had no problems with no black voices being heard at the committee hearing. The irony is rich.

If accountability is the issue, why do Republicans support less accountability for public charters?

That certainly appears to be what is motivating the TX senate, and, as I said, I disagree with the the new law. I don't see that happening in other states, however, and I don't think that is what is motivating most parents at school board meetings around the country. They just don't want their children to be told they have to "confess their privilege," "reject their whiteness," and other similar garbage.

First it's "look at Oklahoma!"
Now, it's "Texas is just one state!"

You say you disagree with these laws, yet these wedge issues are the heart of your party. If you seriously think that what the Texas Senate did will not happen elsewhere, you are naive. Most of the wedge issue legislation passed by these Republican legislatures is copied and pasted from the same think tank.

No one’s opposed to “accountability” but yeah your effort is unacceptable.

You just keep talking in circles. Every student gets a “choice” and underperforming schools get their resources allocated elsewhere. Unless you raise class sizes in the other schools, some students will definitely have to go to that resource starved school, regardless of whether it was their “choice.” And since your plan doesn’t even guarantee transportation to a chosen school it’s going to be the same setup as we have now. And that’s best case scenario. More realistically your plan will punitively starve the “bad” schools making them worse and worse.

Can the mods change "WokeandBroke" back to "jhmd?" Dude should really be accountable for the garbage he spews on here. Maybe he would spam us less.

So the GOP-controlled Missouri state legislature holds a hearing about how racism should be taught in Missouri public schools in which no black teachers, scholars, or parents testified. Even better is that a bunch of politicians - the vast majority of whom are no doubt not educators - are presuming to tell teachers how they should be teaching racial issues in the classroom.

"Aside from an official from Missouri’s education department, the only people who testified Monday were critics of critical race theory, which is a way of thinking about America’s history through the lens of racism...Missouri NAACP President Rod Chapel called it “ridiculous” to have a conversation about inequity while “excluding the very people who are saying we’ve been treated inequitably.” “That talks more to the kind of hearing that they wanted to have than the information that they wanted to gather,” Chapel told reporters after the hearing. “They wanted to hear from their friends who were going to support their political talking points.”

Heather Fleming, a former Missouri teacher who now offers diversity and inclusion training, said she wanted to testify Monday but was not allowed. She said without any African Americans involved in the discussion, “you’re talking about us, without us.” “What not having any African Americans in the room really showed was that this wasn’t really about understanding,” Fleming said.

“Some students are having serious emotional problems dealing with the CRT, or social justice, concepts being taught in our schools,” Katie Rash, a leader in the Missouri chapter of the group No Left Turn in Education, told the committee Monday.

So Ms. Rash has a problem with (white) students learning about social justice issues, but I'm betting that she had no problems with no black voices being heard at the committee hearing. The irony is rich.

It’s not irony. It’s white supremacy. You can’t convince these people that everyone deserves a voice because they believe they’re better than everyone else. And they believe it because they’ve been taught a very biased version of white history. Even jhmd has trouble defending that nonsense.

Can the mods change "WokeandBroke" back to "jhmd?" Dude should really be accountable for the garbage he spews on here. Maybe he would spam us less.

If only Republicans approached Covid, the insurrection, their America First caucus, list goes on and on with equivalent demands for accountability.

“This severely underfunded school in the predominantly Black neighborhood is failing its students. There must be consequences!”

It’s not irony. It’s white supremacy. You can’t convince these people that everyone deserves a voice because they believe they’re better than everyone else. And they believe it because they’ve been taught a very biased version of white history. Even jhmd has trouble defending that nonsense.

Of course it's white supremacy, but it is also ironic that a legislative hearing called to discuss what's wrong with teaching a theory about systematic racism in American society failed to include any minority voices in the hearing. It would be like having a hearing on women's rights without having any women speak to the panel. It only reinforces the whole idea of systematic racism that they are supposedly denouncing and claiming shouldn't be taught in schools. Hence the irony.

this is an interesting thread to follow, I rarely read the tunnels because it is typically over the top one sided and monotonous.

In Traverse City, Michigan, a group of mostly white high school students hold a "private" Snapchat Slave Auction in which they "traded" their black classmates by name for money. One black student was told by a friend that she was initially "sold" for $100 before she was finally given away for free. Among the messages posted by students on the Snapchat site were "all blacks should die" and "let's start another Holocaust."

According to The Washington Post, this incident led a local equity task force for the school district to propose a resolution condemning “racism, racial violence, hate speech, bigotry, discrimination and harassment.” It called for holding more “comprehensive” training for teachers, adding historically marginalized authors to school libraries and reviewing the district’s “curriculum and instruction [to] address gaps . . . from a social equity and diversity lens.”

However, the proposal quickly led to a major backlash from white parents that their kids are being taught Critical Race Theory, and they are now leading the charge to keep it from being passed. "Diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging,’ all of those words sound great,” said Nicole Hooper, a 42-year-old mother of three. “But when you drill back and actually look at the meaning of the words . . . they are interlaced with critical race theory.”

Pretty powerful article on what school systems around the country are likely facing this fall. And remember, this proposal came in response to a Snapchat Slave Auction - but according to the white parents it was just an "isolated" incident (many minority students and parents interviewed in the article strongly disagree).

Link: https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2021/07/25/a-war-over-critical-race-theory-is-tearing-this-small-michigan-town-apart/

Conservatives don’t believe actual slavery was racist. They’re certainly not going to believe kids holding a mock slave auction of their classmates is racist.

That article does a good job explaining the standard white take on racism. They aren’t racist. Their community and how they were racist isn’t racist. Therefore, people talking about racism are lying or exaggerating. It’s a good way to solidify their own stupidity.

"“We knew it wasn’t in perfect form,” Collins said. “But they wanted to speed it up, so we sped it up” - and debuted the resolution to the public for the first time on May 24."

Well, then there should be no wonder the unworded resolution that never have its admitted imperfections mentioned by the article, in an Alakskan paper, lifted largely by the left wing WaPo, about a town Michigan with shoddy reporting isn't ideal to supprt an argument.

And of course slavery was racist. And yes it was the cause of the War.

"“We knew it wasn’t in perfect form,” Collins said. “But they wanted to speed it up, so we sped it up” - and debuted the resolution to the public for the first time on May 24."

Well, then there should be no wonder the unworded resolution that never have its admitted imperfections mentioned by the article, in an Alakskan paper, lifted largely by the left wing WaPo, about a town Michigan with shoddy reporting isn't ideal to supprt an argument.

And of course slavery was racist. And yes it was the cause of the War.

LOL. The "left-wing" Washington Post? The proposed resolution was being debated in hearings, and was even edited to try and meet the complaints of critics. Strange how you don't mention the Snapchat slave auction that was an incentive for it being proposed, the insistence of white citizens opposed to the resolution that racism just doesn't exist in their town in spite of the aforementioned Snapchat slave auction and clearly racist comments contained in it, or the minority students and parents interviewed for the article who dispute that assertion. "Well, yeah, we had this online mock slave auction with comments like all blacks should die, but our town really doesn't have problems with racism because I personally have never seen anything I'd call racist, and how dare our school board try to pass a proposal condemning racism and trying to expand the number of minority authors in the curriculum and providing teacher workshops on diversity and equity. That's Critical Race Theory, and we can't have it!"

Did you address a single point I made, except for the Post being liberal, which you would not even admit?

Kids are immature don't undertstand the pain they can cause. Parents often teach those lessons in a negative way.

Any good journalist would have printed the resoultion. There is a likely non-nefarious reason it failed given the comments from its author.

Did you address a single point I made, except for the Post being liberal, which you would not even admit?

Kids are immature don't undertstand the pain they can cause. Parents often teach those lessons in a negative way.

Any good journalist would have printed the resoultion. There is a likely non-nefarious reason it failed given the comments from its author.

What pertinent points did you make, pray tell? Of course the WaPo is liberal, but that doesn't mean the article got its facts wrong, and you didn't point out any errors. They discuss what was in the resolution in the article - "The two-page document, inspired by nationwide protests in the wake of George Floyd’s death last year, suggested more training for teachers and adding overlooked viewpoints to the school system’s libraries and curriculum."

Your only argument appears to be the complaint that since the WaPo didn't include the exact wording of the resolution it's somehow a bad article, and then your unfounded speculation about why the resolution "failed" (it's not failed yet, and will be voted upon by the school board "late this month.") You also simply skimmed over everything else in the article, from the minorities interviewed about the racism and homophobia they have experienced, to the white parents insisting that things in town aren't bad based mostly on their own personal experiences.

In Traverse City, Michigan, a group of mostly white high school students hold a "private" Snapchat Slave Auction in which they "traded" their black classmates by name for money. One black student was told by a friend that she was initially "sold" for $100 before she was finally given away for free. Among the messages posted by students on the Snapchat site were "all blacks should die" and "let's start another Holocaust."

According to The Washington Post, this incident led a local equity task force for the school district to propose a resolution condemning “racism, racial violence, hate speech, bigotry, discrimination and harassment.” It called for holding more “comprehensive” training for teachers, adding historically marginalized authors to school libraries and reviewing the district’s “curriculum and instruction [to] address gaps . . . from a social equity and diversity lens.”

However, the proposal quickly led to a major backlash from white parents that their kids are being taught Critical Race Theory, and they are now leading the charge to keep it from being passed. "Diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging,’ all of those words sound great,” said Nicole Hooper, a 42-year-old mother of three. “But when you drill back and actually look at the meaning of the words . . . they are interlaced with critical race theory.”

Pretty powerful article on what school systems around the country are likely facing this fall. And remember, this proposal came in response to a Snapchat Slave Auction - but according to the white parents it was just an "isolated" incident (many minority students and parents interviewed in the article strongly disagree).

Link: https://www.adn.com/nation-world/2021/07/25/a-war-over-critical-race-theory-is-tearing-this-small-michigan-town-apart/

This example demonstrates the difference in mindset regarding racism. White Republicans are angry with CRT because pointing out the systemic racism might hurt their feelings. Real racism aims to eliminate or suppress an entire group of people.

I did not think it was possible to somehow side with the white people in this Michigan story. Excellent work "center"deac, blame the media is always a good angle.

Back