Page 74 of 74 FirstFirst ... 2464697071727374
Results 1,461 to 1,472 of 1472

Thread: Banning Critical Race Theory

  1. #1461
    Quote Originally Posted by BillBrasky View Post
    It is not the worst case scenario, it is the reality of your plan. Your school choice without transportation plan will do nothing but make the "better" schools even more overcrowded and provide the "lesser" schools with less students, and therefore less funding and resources.

    So you want to make public education worse for everyone. Is that it?

    Oh wait, I think that's it.
    I want to make it better than it currently is, by installing some measure of accountability. Since you all are so afraid of testing, this seems like the most useful method: give the people for whom the schools were built a direct voice in resource allocations.

    But for some reason, this effort at accountability is also unacceptable to you. Just like that last one, just like the next one...

  2. #1462

    Banning Critical Race Theory

    Quote Originally Posted by WokeandBroke View Post
    I want to make it better than it currently is, by installing some measure of accountability. Since you all are so afraid of testing, this seems like the most useful method: give the people for whom the schools were built a direct voice in resource allocations.

    But for some reason, this effort at accountability is also unacceptable to you. Just like that last one, just like the next one...
    When did I say I was against testing? I just got promoted to Social Studies lead for my school because of my ability to raise test and reading scores. I'm all for accountability. I teach my students how to comprehend what they're reading, not to memorized dates and events. Analyzing motive and understanding cause and effect are my other priorities. All of these things improve test scores.

    Now back to the topic. How are we going to give EVERY student the same choice?
    Last edited by BillBrasky; 07-21-2021 at 10:58 AM.

  3. #1463
    So the GOP-controlled Missouri state legislature holds a hearing about how racism should be taught in Missouri public schools in which no black teachers, scholars, or parents testified. Even better is that a bunch of politicians - the vast majority of whom are no doubt not educators - are presuming to tell teachers how they should be teaching racial issues in the classroom.

    "Aside from an official from Missouri’s education department, the only people who testified Monday were critics of critical race theory, which is a way of thinking about America’s history through the lens of racism...Missouri NAACP President Rod Chapel called it “ridiculous” to have a conversation about inequity while “excluding the very people who are saying we’ve been treated inequitably.” “That talks more to the kind of hearing that they wanted to have than the information that they wanted to gather,” Chapel told reporters after the hearing. “They wanted to hear from their friends who were going to support their political talking points.”

    Heather Fleming, a former Missouri teacher who now offers diversity and inclusion training, said she wanted to testify Monday but was not allowed. She said without any African Americans involved in the discussion, “you’re talking about us, without us.” “What not having any African Americans in the room really showed was that this wasn’t really about understanding,” Fleming said.

    “Some students are having serious emotional problems dealing with the CRT, or social justice, concepts being taught in our schools,” Katie Rash, a leader in the Missouri chapter of the group No Left Turn in Education, told the committee Monday.

    So Ms. Rash has a problem with (white) students learning about social justice issues, but I'm betting that she had no problems with no black voices being heard at the committee hearing. The irony is rich.


  4. #1464
    Quote Originally Posted by WokeandBroke View Post
    I want to make it better than it currently is, by installing some measure of accountability. Since you all are so afraid of testing, this seems like the most useful method: give the people for whom the schools were built a direct voice in resource allocations.

    But for some reason, this effort at accountability is also unacceptable to you. Just like that last one, just like the next one...
    If accountability is the issue, why do Republicans support less accountability for public charters?

  5. #1465
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeBored View Post
    That certainly appears to be what is motivating the TX senate, and, as I said, I disagree with the the new law. I don't see that happening in other states, however, and I don't think that is what is motivating most parents at school board meetings around the country. They just don't want their children to be told they have to "confess their privilege," "reject their whiteness," and other similar garbage.
    First it's "look at Oklahoma!"
    Now, it's "Texas is just one state!"

    You say you disagree with these laws, yet these wedge issues are the heart of your party. If you seriously think that what the Texas Senate did will not happen elsewhere, you are naive. Most of the wedge issue legislation passed by these Republican legislatures is copied and pasted from the same think tank.

  6. #1466
    Quote Originally Posted by WokeandBroke View Post
    I want to make it better than it currently is, by installing some measure of accountability. Since you all are so afraid of testing, this seems like the most useful method: give the people for whom the schools were built a direct voice in resource allocations.

    But for some reason, this effort at accountability is also unacceptable to you. Just like that last one, just like the next one...
    No one’s opposed to “accountability” but yeah your effort is unacceptable.

    You just keep talking in circles. Every student gets a “choice” and underperforming schools get their resources allocated elsewhere. Unless you raise class sizes in the other schools, some students will definitely have to go to that resource starved school, regardless of whether it was their “choice.” And since your plan doesn’t even guarantee transportation to a chosen school it’s going to be the same setup as we have now. And that’s best case scenario. More realistically your plan will punitively starve the “bad” schools making them worse and worse.

  7. #1467
    Can the mods change "WokeandBroke" back to "jhmd?" Dude should really be accountable for the garbage he spews on here. Maybe he would spam us less.
    We're going to be good again.

  8. #1468
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    122,133
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    So the GOP-controlled Missouri state legislature holds a hearing about how racism should be taught in Missouri public schools in which no black teachers, scholars, or parents testified. Even better is that a bunch of politicians - the vast majority of whom are no doubt not educators - are presuming to tell teachers how they should be teaching racial issues in the classroom.

    "Aside from an official from Missouri’s education department, the only people who testified Monday were critics of critical race theory, which is a way of thinking about America’s history through the lens of racism...Missouri NAACP President Rod Chapel called it “ridiculous” to have a conversation about inequity while “excluding the very people who are saying we’ve been treated inequitably.” “That talks more to the kind of hearing that they wanted to have than the information that they wanted to gather,” Chapel told reporters after the hearing. “They wanted to hear from their friends who were going to support their political talking points.”

    Heather Fleming, a former Missouri teacher who now offers diversity and inclusion training, said she wanted to testify Monday but was not allowed. She said without any African Americans involved in the discussion, “you’re talking about us, without us.” “What not having any African Americans in the room really showed was that this wasn’t really about understanding,” Fleming said.

    “Some students are having serious emotional problems dealing with the CRT, or social justice, concepts being taught in our schools,” Katie Rash, a leader in the Missouri chapter of the group No Left Turn in Education, told the committee Monday.

    So Ms. Rash has a problem with (white) students learning about social justice issues, but I'm betting that she had no problems with no black voices being heard at the committee hearing. The irony is rich.

    It’s not irony. It’s white supremacy. You can’t convince these people that everyone deserves a voice because they believe they’re better than everyone else. And they believe it because they’ve been taught a very biased version of white history. Even jhmd has trouble defending that nonsense.

  9. #1469
    Quote Originally Posted by Strickland33 View Post
    Can the mods change "WokeandBroke" back to "jhmd?" Dude should really be accountable for the garbage he spews on here. Maybe he would spam us less.
    If only Republicans approached Covid, the insurrection, their America First caucus, list goes on and on with equivalent demands for accountability.

  10. #1470
    “This severely underfunded school in the predominantly Black neighborhood is failing its students. There must be consequences!”

  11. #1471
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    It’s not irony. It’s white supremacy. You can’t convince these people that everyone deserves a voice because they believe they’re better than everyone else. And they believe it because they’ve been taught a very biased version of white history. Even jhmd has trouble defending that nonsense.
    Of course it's white supremacy, but it is also ironic that a legislative hearing called to discuss what's wrong with teaching a theory about systematic racism in American society failed to include any minority voices in the hearing. It would be like having a hearing on women's rights without having any women speak to the panel. It only reinforces the whole idea of systematic racism that they are supposedly denouncing and claiming shouldn't be taught in schools. Hence the irony.

  12. #1472
    this is an interesting thread to follow, I rarely read the tunnels because it is typically over the top one sided and monotonous.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •