• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach K Retiring After This Season

Typical that K would maneuver for that, while Roy would just quietly move on. Stark differences

Agree, K just needs to hand over the reigns but his ego needs the victory lap. No other reason.

It's a lot to adapt to for a 70-something coach. He's already adapted to the one-and-done era. College basketball is going to transform tremendously over the next 5-10 years.

Guess you can only fake interest once in the Lakers job to convince college kids that they need to stay in college rather than turn pro....

I read this as:

The competitive advantage he had worked so hard to build is going away and he doesn't want to compete on a more level playing field.
I agree in regards to Duke did have an (unfair?) advantage in publicity given how much ESPN featured the team. While the individual players did not receive money directly, they arguably still greatly benefited from the coverage with the extra money Duke generated that could be spent on basketball amenities on & off the court for the players.

If it's Scheyer, it will be pointed out that amongst DU, WFU, NCSU and UNC, Duke is the only one not to have made a minority hire in their men's bb and/or fb programs(can also throw in other in-state "majors" ECU, APP State and UNCC as having hired minorities in the past). And that's no small thing at an "elite" university located in Durham, where race & culture are always at or near the surface.

I don't think it will be pointed out by anyone in the media.

I agree in regards to Duke did have an (unfair?) advantage in publicity given how much ESPN featured the team. While the individual players did not receive money directly, they arguably still greatly benefited from the coverage with the extra money Duke generated that could be spent on basketball amenities on & off the court for the players.

Zion's family apparently received big bucks from Adidas so technically not directly from Duke but can't believe they were in the dark on all of this. I am sure Zion's familiy was not the only one who received money by attending duke. So you get moolah and coverage for attending this elite Harvard of the south. K did not have to go the one and done route but he is as bad as Calipari.

I wonder if Duke will continue to be as loose with their academic standards under Scheyer as they were under K. I have to think some concessions for K were made where he was able to recruit pretty much anyone he wanted to play at a small, elite private school like Duke.

K doesn’t want to stick around for the fallout from Ziongate? I’m shocked. Shocked I tell you.

If the NCAA did nothing to UNC for what was obviously 1 off the worst academic scandals in history, do you really think they'd to something to Duke? As for Scheyerface, I just can't get my head around that. I thought promoting Hubert was a stretch, but this? Someone needs to explain to me how this is a good hire for 1 of the top 5 historically great hoops schools because I just don't get it.

It's like a best best case scenario that Roy and K retire and Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer are their replacements. LOL.

Seems like a good opportunity for a retelling or a link.

Fair enough. Don't have a link but the gist is that duke showed up at some resort (maybe Maui Invitational?) and a md fan told a story about his attempts to get a pic with scheyer. It finally happens and at the moment his buddy takes the pic he does the face. I may be miss remembering but that pic on a spinning free throw sign or something could be funny with the right student section.
I googled scheyerface Maryland and one of the pics is the one the guy took.

Fair enough. Don't have a link but the gist is that duke showed up at some resort (maybe Maui Invitational?) and a md fan told a story about his attempts to get a pic with scheyer. It finally happens and at the moment his buddy takes the pic he does the face. I may be miss remembering but that pic on a spinning free throw sign or something could be funny with the right student section.
I googled scheyerface Maryland and one of the pics is the one the guy took.

images

It's like a best best case scenario that Roy and K retire and Hubert Davis and Jon Scheyer are their replacements. LOL.
Forbes is drinking the good stuff tonight, and then waking up tomorrow and working even harder knowing the opportunity he has right now.

This is setting up perfectly for Brad Steven's. Coack K gets a victory lap, Scheyer coaches for 3 or four years, takes the following a legend hit. Brad Stevens decides he wants to go back on the bench and heads to Duke at age 48 or 49. 10 - 20 years as head coach at Duke.

Until he wants to go back to the NBA and slide into a good situation coaching old Luka or something.

Back