• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach K Retiring After This Season

I can’t imagine that Stevens gets back into the coaching grind once he has lived that sweet (comparatively) relaxed life of a front office exec. The guy he is replacing was in that job for 18 years. He could spend as long as he wants there.

This is setting up perfectly for Brad Steven's. Coack K gets a victory lap, Scheyer coaches for 3 or four years, takes the following a legend hit. Brad Stevens decides he wants to go back on the bench and heads to Duke at age 48 or 49. 10 - 20 years as head coach at Duke.

I don’t get this either. Why would he want the Duke job?

Agree, K just needs to hand over the reigns but his ego needs the victory lap. No other reason.

This. He totally boned Duke because the victory lap year forces them to do the coach in waiting thing. I think a guy like a Stevens was a pipe dream anyways but his narcissism basically prevents them from going to market to get the best coach. K could give two shits about Duke it’s always been about him.

The slobber-fest from Vitale (I assume he's still in the business) will be unwatchable this season.

Hire young and hungry.

If it doesn’t work, do it again.

Why is this hard? The only path to all the great decades runs in college hoops history resulted from the hiring of a smart guy in his 30s.

Duke stole the blueprint from UCLA, Indiana, UNC, & Kansas all who made similar hires. Duke was just smart enough to copy it. Copying others that win is a really good idea.

Hire young and hungry.

Why is this hard? The only path to all the great decades runs in college hoops history resulted from the hiring of a smart guy in his 30s.

Duke stole the blueprint from UCLA, Indiana, UNC, & Kansas all who made similar hires. Duke was just smart enough to copy it. Copying others that win is a really good idea.

:popcorn:

Hire young and hungry.

Leonard Hamilton was 54 when he was hired by FSU.

The slobber-fest from Vitale (I assume he's still in the business) will be unwatchable this season.

Vitale was broadcasting from home this season. He turns 82 next week. I don't know if he'll be travelling as much now. I assume he'll make it to Cameron a few times though.

Leonard Hamilton was 54 when he was hired by FSU.

Yes, indeed, and—as a result—a 30-40 year run was impossible. Even if he built it up to where he has, the party is now over. No final fours. If Hamilton was still in his 50s now all of that would in reach.

Vitale was broadcasting from home this season. He turns 82 next week. I don't know if he'll be travelling as much now. I assume he'll make it to Cameron a few times though.

Maybe Vitale signs on to the coach K farewell tour and does a bunch of Duke games. And then retires himself.

No need for me to rehash this debate. You all want Wake to hire the best Coach in his
50s out there and keep playing in a 15k seat arena.

Duke doesn’t want that. As we can see again.

The results are what they are and they will continue.

Those results being you continuing to be you an annoying self-felating ass?

Scheyer has played for and coached under a total of 1 coach. Given that K's assistants have a mixed track record as head coaches, this just seems like a REEEEEAAAAACH. Btw, how do you think Nate James feels right now? He had been a Duke Assistant longer than Scheyer but took the Austin Peay job this offseason. You think K told him that he might be retiring and to hang on because he might get the head job- sure doesn't feel that way.

Nate James is 43. That’s too old according to donaldross.

Nate James is 43. That’s too old according to donaldross.

this is our chance to make some moves in the ACC

I think Forbes is up for the challenge

Rasheed Wallace named head coach at an academy in Durham but picked the wrong day to announce it.

Where are all the prim and proper Wake alums with their tired moronic line:

“but wait...what are his qualifications?”

Back