• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach K Retiring After This Season

Wes Miller is more qualified to be the Duke coach than Jon Scheyer. Good news for Scheyer is that he will still be under 40 when he is looking for his next coaching job after he gets fired at duke.

I really wanted Forbes to beat K over and over and over again.

So Forbes comes to Wake with Duke and UNC being coached by two of the greatest coaches of all time. And by his third season, they will be coached by Scheyer and H Davis respectively. That has to give him at least a little bit of a smile.

So Forbes comes to Wake with Duke and UNC being coached by two of the greatest coaches of all time. And by his third season, they will be coached by Scheyer and H Davis respectively. That has to give him at least a little bit of a smile.

And at 76, older than both K and Roy, you know Boeheim has to be out the door soon too. HUGE power vacuum forming at the top of the ACC. Hope Forbes can take advantage and reshuffle the ACC landscape while the blue bloods are vulnerable.

I still think there is a major difference between the two blue bloods in the next five years. Coach K was Duke , and Duke was Coach K—they will be a very good, but not dominant national,program when K is gone. Players came to Duke to play for K— doesn’t matter that Scheyer was apparently a very good recruiter.

On the other hand , assuming Davis is not a complete asshole, like Doh, the Carolina program is bigger than Roy Williams—they will continue to be a top national,program regardless of the head coach.

I still think there is a major difference between the two blue bloods in the next five years. Coach K was Duke , and Duke was Coach K—they will be a very good, but not dominant national,program when K is gone. Players came to Duke to play for K— doesn’t matter that Scheyer was apparently a very good recruiter.

On the other hand , assuming Davis is not a complete asshole, like Doh, the Carolina program is bigger than Roy Williams—they will continue to be a top national,program regardless of the head coach.

I don't disagree. But UNC is still vulnerable during the next few seasons until we establish whether Davis is a Doh (recruit, no coaching) or a Guthridge (coaching, no recruiting), or something in between. It's unlikely he's a Dean or Roy.

Last edited:
Recruiting for the 2022 class will be telling for both Davis and Scheyer. It's super early in the process as only about 12 of the top 50 are committed; even so, Duke doesn't have any commits yet from that class, and UNC's only commit isn't a top 100 recruit (#146 Will Shaver). Could be wrong, but think its likely that both programs take a step back over the next couple of years (both took a big step back this past year). K has a loaded 2021 HS class coming in, but after that, will be interesting to see the directions for both programs.

That's true today, yes. I wonder what Duke will look like post-K. Players go to UNC because they see Michael Jordan and Dean Smith highlights all over the place. Even Doh recruited a national championship team and he was awful. There really isn't that draw for Duke. Duke was coach K, and especially in his later career, players went to Duke to play for him because of his NBA connections. Scheyer will have none of that.

The other factor to keep in mind is that college basketball recruiting is undergoing a major change. The top two 2022 recruits (Elmoni Bates and Jalen Duren) are expected to go straight to the pro ball, and two other top 50 players have already committed to the new Overtime Elite League; former UCONN Coach Kevin Ollie is coaching and recruiting for that league. There will be more that will follow that path. Also, the NBA is expected to open it's draft to HS players again. So, in the next few years, far fewer top 25 players are going to play college basketball. So, there aren't going to be anymore recruiting classes like the Zion, Barrett, Reddish class that came in grabbed all of the hype. There will be some splashy freshman, but recruiting for all programs, including Duke, KY and UNC, will be geared to more long term development.

This will be the true test for Scheyer. Is the Duke program bigger than Coach K?

The same question existed for UNC when Dean retired. With a coach like Doh, the answer was no. But then Roy changed it to yes. So is Scheyer a Doh or a Roy?

This will be the true test for Scheyer. Is the Duke program bigger than Coach K?

The same question existed for UNC when Dean retired. With a coach like Doh, the answer was no. But then Roy changed it to yes. So is Scheyer a Doh or a Roy?

I tend to disagree. Doh recruited the 2005 national championship team. He was obviously bringing in top talent. He wasn't a great coach, but he came to UNC and inherited a program where there was no recruiting done in the 2 years Gutherige was coach, which led to those awful 2 seasons for UNC.

But Roy was already an established winner when he came to UNC. Davis nor Scheyer are.

I tend to disagree. Doh recruited the 2005 national championship team. He was obviously bringing in top talent. He wasn't a great coach, but he came to UNC and inherited a program where there was no recruiting done in the 2 years Gutherige was coach, which led to those awful 2 seasons for UNC.

This. Doh had a decent run at ND if I recall. Feel he got the shaft at UNC. But I don't really care, fuck UNC and fuck Duke!

i was shocked when I looked up Doherty's coaching record when he got hired at UNC- 1 year as head coach of Notre Dame and made the NIT (and got beat by Wake in finals). Oof, that was a suspect hire and look what happened.

I think the Duke cachet is being undersold. K’s ghost will be everywhere and recruits will still want to associate themselves with the Duke brand. They’ll probably make sure lots of famous Duke basketball alumni make regular appearances (besides those coaching elsewhere of course). Refs will still feel the Cameron intimidation factor.

IMO what we have to count on is Scheyer not completely nailing recruiting, and making rookie in-game coaching mistakes. If the word gets out that he’s got those issues, then there’s some blood in the water. Till then as far as I’m concerned it’s in large part still Duke.

Hope I’m wrong! Either way I do know that Forbes will not be intimidated.

i was shocked when I looked up Doherty's coaching record when he got hired at UNC- 1 year as head coach of Notre Dame and made the NIT (and got beat by Wake in finals). Oof, that was a suspect hire and look what happened.

Did the same thing after I was called out by thatguy2016. Not sure why I thought Doh had been at ND for a few years.

Duke was good before K.

Vic Bubas (sent his daughter Vicki, to Wake) had Duke in three final fours (one runnerup) and an Elite 8 in the sixties. Eight ACC titles (four regular season and four tournament). This was an era when only the ACC Tournament winner played in the NCAA tournament.

Bill Foster led them to a second place NCAA tournament finish, ACC title and national number one ranking in the late 70's. He was head coach for Duke's 1000th victory.

K took Duke basketball a little further, winning NCAA titles, instead of falling one game short as both Vic Bubas and Bill Foster did.

There were really good basketball players at Duke before K, too. Mike Gminski, Jim Spanarkel, Gene (Tinkerbell) Banks...

Last edited:
Back