• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach K Retiring After This Season

dafuq ?

But Roy was already an established winner when he came to UNC. Davis nor Scheyer are.

Yeah. I think that is a good point. It took a Hall of Fame coach (Roy) to continue the legacy of another Hall of Fame coach (Dean).

Will Scheyer or Hubert be able to do that?

Duke was good before K.

Vic Bubas (sent his daughter Vicki, to Wake) had Duke in three final fours (one runnerup) and an Elite 8 in the sixties. Eight ACC titles (four regular season and four tournament). This was an era when only the ACC Tournament winner played in the NCAA tournament.

Bill Foster led them to a second place NCAA tournament finish, ACC title and national number one ranking in the late 70's. He was head coach for Duke's 1000th victory.

K took Duke basketball a little further, winning NCAA titles, instead of falling one game short as both Vic Bubas and Bill Foster did.

There were really good basketball players at Duke before K, too. Mike Gminski, Jim Spanarkel, Gene (Tinkerbell) Banks...

This is correct. And that Spanarkel/Gman/Banks/Dennard team was a fun team to watch. I didn't start hating Duke till the early 1990s.

This is correct. And that Spanarkel/Gman/Banks/Dennard team was a fun team to watch. I didn't start hating Duke till the early 1990s.

Yeah. Laettner and Hurley were the ones who really made Duke unlikeable. And K got more and more entitled.

i was shocked when I looked up Doherty's coaching record when he got hired at UNC- 1 year as head coach of Notre Dame and made the NIT (and got beat by Wake in finals). Oof, that was a suspect hire and look what happened.

Yeah I am from Indiana and had in my head that he had several strong years at ND. Apparently not!

Yeah. Laettner and Hurley were the ones who really made Duke unlikeable. And K got more and more entitled.

Ferry was the first one I hated. I didn't mind Hurley, he was whiny on the court but a decent guy who was a complete basketball nerd. I worked in Duke's AD for most of the 90's. Wojo was by far my least favorite during my time there

The other factor to keep in mind is that college basketball recruiting is undergoing a major change. The top two 2022 recruits (Elmoni Bates and Jalen Duren) are expected to go straight to the pro ball, and two other top 50 players have already committed to the new Overtime Elite League; former UCONN Coach Kevin Ollie is coaching and recruiting for that league. There will be more that will follow that path. Also, the NBA is expected to open it's draft to HS players again. So, in the next few years, far fewer top 25 players are going to play college basketball. So, there aren't going to be anymore recruiting classes like the Zion, Barrett, Reddish class that came in grabbed all of the hype. There will be some splashy freshman, but recruiting for all programs, including Duke, KY and UNC, will be geared to more long term development.

I think it’s too early to say the new landscape will hurt the blue bloods. Now the top players going to Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas, and other good programs. It’s possible 5 years from now, the top players will go to Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas, G-League, Overtime Elite, overseas, and other pro options with fewer going to other programs.

in general, the guys at the very top of the recruiting rankings are most ready to step in and dominate college basketball

if, say, the top 10-15 guys go straight to the NBA, then the next tier of guys come in as top-rated, and they are not as likely to dominate

there is a big gulf between the #1 guy and the #16 guy, generally speaking, and almost no difference between the #85 guy and the #115 guy

a three- or four-year guy (rated #100 3-4 years ago) is going to struggle against Zion (#4 in RSCI) and easily dominate Jaylen Hoard (#19)

I think it’s too early to say the new landscape will hurt the blue bloods. Now the top players going to Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas, and other good programs. It’s possible 5 years from now, the top players will go to Duke, UK, UNC, Kansas, G-League, Overtime Elite, overseas, and other pro options with fewer going to other programs.

Agreed. Not saying it will necessarily hurt the top programs. The one thing it does do is that it makes it a little harder to know who the top college recruits are. Recruiting evaluations become less accurate the farther down the list you go. For example, the most successful players are generally the guys rated in the top 10. If all of the top 10 go pro, there are more misses from 11 on down. So, again, it makes less likely that any school signs a home run class that is essentially impossible to f-up. Think it will result in more volatility in college basketball from year to year. Also, if the free transfer rule continues as is, coaches not only have to recruit and evaluate incoming freshman, but their own players and players at all other D-1 schools every year. Some people think that the transfer rule is what ultimately cause Roy and K to leave as college hoop is now just a free for all every March through May.

Duke was good before K.

Vic Bubas (sent his daughter Vicki, to Wake) had Duke in three final fours (one runnerup) and an Elite 8 in the sixties. Eight ACC titles (four regular season and four tournament). This was an era when only the ACC Tournament winner played in the NCAA tournament.

Bill Foster led them to a second place NCAA tournament finish, ACC title and national number one ranking in the late 70's. He was head coach for Duke's 1000th victory.

K took Duke basketball a little further, winning NCAA titles, instead of falling one game short as both Vic Bubas and Bill Foster did.

There were really good basketball players at Duke before K, too. Mike Gminski, Jim Spanarkel, Gene (Tinkerbell) Banks...

Goes back even farther than that, to Eddie Cameron c. 1930. Duke had a brief time in the early 70s when they weren't as good until Bill Foster was hired c. 1975. Duke has had consistently good basketball teams for a very long time.

This. He totally boned Duke because the victory lap year forces them to do the coach in waiting thing. I think a guy like a Stevens was a pipe dream anyways but his narcissism basically prevents them from going to market to get the best coach. K could give two shits about Duke it’s always been about him.

Yep. I could even see him nearing the end of his farewell tour and announcing that the time was not quite right for "X" reason and he
was coming back for one more season. Abject narcissism can engender weird behavior.

Goes back even farther than that, to Eddie Cameron c. 1930. Duke had a brief time in the early 70s when they weren't as good until Bill Foster was hired c. 1975. Duke has had consistently good basketball teams for a very long time.

Facts and history are super cool, but could we stop talking about how great Duke has been for nearly a century? Fuck duke.

Back