• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach K Retiring After This Season

I, for one, cannot wait for the windfall that will come to Wake when Duke and UNC are merely Top 10 programs like UCLA instead of the Top 5 programs that they are now.

woah woah woah... Have you forgotten about Leonard Hamilton so easily?

This. UVA was hemorrhaging players this offseason, and Tony is bringing in some international players. His recruiting has not been stellar since winning the natty, and they had their worst team since Tony's 1st 2 years this past season. FSU is the only ACC program in great shape right now. I've also been impressed with what Young is doing at VT, especially considering the bare cupboard he inherited and the amount of turnover on the roster.

I, for one, cannot wait for the windfall that will come to Wake when Duke and UNC are merely Top 10 programs like UCLA instead of the Top 5 programs that they are now.

This post is so spot on. 0 chance we benefit. Folks here are delusional.

WF needs to focus on WF. We need to start with the proper stadium designed for winning. We have Forbes now and he’s trying. But we must be real: guy is gonna be dead soon or if he does improve the product will be gone. Let’s focus on 2030. The stadium we play in is on us. Not Wellman. Not manning or Buzz either. That’s on us. Can’t fix it next year but can start the process of dumping that and begin positioning for 2030.

This. UVA was hemorrhaging players this offseason, and Tony is bringing in some international players. His recruiting has not been stellar since winning the natty, and they had their worst team since Tony's 1st 2 years this past season. FSU is the only ACC program in great shape right now. I've also been impressed with what Young is doing at VT, especially considering the bare cupboard he inherited and the amount of turnover on the roster.

Don't see it that way. UVA finished first in the ACC last year, and looked to be on the path to win the ACC Tourney and an NCAA run when COVID took them out. Then, they couldn't practice and flew in to play Ohio and lost in the final minute. Also, think UVA had a net gain in the transfer market this year with Jaylen Gardner and Armann Franklin coming in (Casey Morsel who left for State may have been the worst shooting 2 guard in the country the last two years, and Justin McCoy who left for UNC averaged minutes a game; neither is a major loss). UVA's has a solid returning team, and think they (not FSU or Duke) will be the best in the ACC again next year.

Last edited:
Imagine the officiating of Duke games this year. The refs will be showering K with a lot of presents this season.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather duke hire a super star Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens and have Forbes march in to Cameron and beat them regardless than have them hire some [Redacted] clone so we can fill a vacuum.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather duke hire a super star Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens and have Forbes march in to Cameron and beat them regardless than have them hire some [name redacted] clone so we can fill a vacuum.

Duck Fuke. I'm fine if they never win another game and Cameron catches fire and burns to the ground. I'd rather be at the top and let teams worry about coming into the Joel to beat Forbes.

Duck Fuke. I'm fine if they never win another game and Cameron catches fire and burns to the ground. I'd rather be at the top and let teams worry about coming into the Joel to beat Forbes.

I agree with this. It would be great if Carolina and Duke suffer thru a few years like the 10 we were subject to with these new hires. Fuck em both.

Don't see it that way. UVA finished first in the ACC last year, and looked to be on the path to win the ACC Tourney and an NCAA run when COVID took them out. Then, they couldn't practice and flew in to play Ohio and lost in the final minute. Also, think UVA had a net gain in the transfer market this year with Jaylen Gardner and Armann Franklin coming in (Casey Morsel who left for State may have been the worst shooting 2 guard in the country the last two years, and Justin McCoy who left for UNC averaged minutes a game; neither is a major loss). UVA's has a solid returning team, and think they (not FSU or Duke) will be the best in the ACC again next year.

You're citing losing to Ohio as a positive? I admit I may have become spoiled, but UVA was an ugly team to watch last year. They played their worst D in the Tony era, and Clark broke Donald Hand's UVA record for getting lost in the lane. All of the Harris and Brogdon teams were better squads except for maybe Harris' 1st year. The only reason UVA didn't suck was the ACC had its worst year in memory. That said, I still believe in Tony and think that he'll right the ship eventually.

The Ohio game wasn't a positive. It wasn't a negative. COVID knocked them out of the ACC tournament after UVA beat Cuse (note Cuse then made an NCAA run). Then, UVA had to quarantine until they played Ohio. So, there was no surprise that UVA lost.

The point is that UVA had the best record in the ACC last year, and they have the best record in the ACC, by far, over the past 5 years. They are the most recent ACC team to win a Natty, and they will likely win the ACC again next year. So, they currently hold the mantle as the best program in the conference. FSU is 2nd. FWIW, UVA's recruiting is line with their recruiting when they won the NC with Jerome and Guy. They are bringing a top 100 recruit this year (#87 Taine Murray from NZ) and they already have top 100 recruit for 2022 (#48 Isaac McNeely) . As long as Bennett is coaching, UVA will be really good.

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I'd rather duke hire a super star Billy Donovan or Brad Stevens and have Forbes march in to Cameron and beat them regardless than have them hire some [Redacted] clone so we can fill a vacuum.

Let’s win in Cameron before we worry about which coach we beat.

Nah I’d rather they suck out loud

I'm sure this has absolutely nothing to do with Brad Stevens getting fired this morning.

This is the scenario we thought we had escaped.

Taking Ainge's place as Prez of Celtics has a much different ring than getting fired.

I still think there is a major difference between the two blue bloods in the next five years. Coach K was Duke , and Duke was Coach K—they will be a very good, but not dominant national,program when K is gone. Players came to Duke to play for K— doesn’t matter that Scheyer was apparently a very good recruiter.

On the other hand , assuming Davis is not a complete asshole, like Doh, the Carolina program is bigger than Roy Williams—they will continue to be a top national,program regardless of the head coach.

Duke was good before K and was in the NCAA title game in 1978 with Gman after they beat us in the ACC Finals. Duke & UNC will still headline the league for years to come just like they always have

Duke was good before K and was in the NCAA title game in 1978 with Gman after they beat us in the ACC Finals. Duke & UNC will still headline the league for years to come just like they always have

Yet Duke was terrible when K took over in the early 80's. We saw what UNC was like until Roy arrived. There is nothing magical about these programs. Their success primarily centers around a successful coach, and when they're gone that success leaves with them. It is much more likely they will be like UCLA or Indiana post Wooden or Knight.

Taking Ainge's place as Prez of Celtics has a much different ring than getting fired.

It's not a promotion. Team Presidents don't get demoted to head coach. Nobody would argue that Stevens would get this position if the Celtics won the title.

A franchise that likes to make "family" hires hired the only family they could.

Back