• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Coach K Retiring After This Season

This post is so spot on. 0 chance we benefit. Folks here are delusional.

WF needs to focus on WF. We need to start with the proper stadium designed for winning. We have Forbes now and he’s trying. But we must be real: guy is gonna be dead soon or if he does improve the product will be gone. Let’s focus on 2030. The stadium we play in is on us. Not Wellman. Not manning or Buzz either. That’s on us. Can’t fix it next year but can start the process of dumping that and begin positioning for 2030.
Gonna be dead soon? He’s got 18 years until he’s K’s age of 74. And he’s only 10 years older than you. Geez.

Even by DR’s obnoxious standards, that’s a pretty awful thing to say about somebody.

It's not a promotion. Team Presidents don't get demoted to head coach. Nobody would argue that Stevens would get this position if the Celtics won the title.

A franchise that likes to make "family" hires hired the only family they could.

Yeah but I just don’t think you get fired only to take the position that will help hire the position you just vacated. And that will report to you. To quote Stephen A Smith.

So you think this would have happened if he had better season? Can you think of other successful young pro coaches who got “promoted” like this?

I think he was tired of coaching for whatever reason but wanted to stay with the organization and still leave his mark on the team, and they felt he had earned the right to do that because they want to keep him as a part of the organization.

I guess your position is that they fired him but won’t say it publicly.

So you believe Stevens was fired, and is now going to be asked to name the new person to fill the position for which he was fired and have that position report to him? The logic doesn’t cohere.

Last edited:
I lurk on the Wake baseball thread. Some people there have called for Walter to get an AD position after another disappointing year. Based on your logic, that wouldn’t be a firing.

And you seem to believe that this would have happened even if Stevens had won a championship. I disagree.

I think Stevens will coaching elsewhere within 3 offseasons.

I lurk on the Wake baseball thread. Some people there have called for Walter to get an AD position after another disappointing year. Based on your logic, that wouldn’t be a firing.

And you seem to believe that this would have happened even if Stevens had won a championship. I disagree.

I think Stevens will coaching elsewhere within 3 offseasons.

You're all-in on this peculiar position, huh! Walter getting a token fundraising position with no one reporting to him is not in the same ballpark (see what I did there) as Walter being fired as baseball coach and becoming the AD, with the new baseball coach reporting to him, and I think you know that ;)

Nobody in any profession gets fired, only then to be given the position of the person who will hire and oversee the role for which he was fired. By this logic Stevens could just re-hire himself.

If he would have won a championship, that probably would have reignited his desire to keep coaching.

I agree that he'll be coaching again soon. I suspect he needed a break but still wanted to have an effect on the Celtics in a different capacity.

I was just surprised at your conclusion because it doesn't make any organizational sense. Anyway, fun exchange but ultimately a trivial matter.

It doesn’t make sense to hire someone with no front office experience to be the team president.

It doesn’t make sense to hire someone with no front office experience to be the team president.

And all the more so if you had just fired him.

Address the logic of him being fired from a job and then given the keys to hire the next person for that job, who will then report to him. Until you can explain that away, there’s not much else to discuss.

worked out pretty well for the Heat when they hired Pat Riley as coach & president w/ no prior FO exp.

Lawrence Frank was promoted from asst coach to exec VP w/ the Clips & then to president a year later. Also no prior FO exp & a career .454 winning % as HC

Both are considered among the best team presidents

One retired as a coach. The other was a failed head coach who moved over to and up the GM ladder.

No one has any idea what Steven's new responsibilities are. The org may love him but still want a new coach. He may not be responsible for hiring his replacement. Or he is. I can see the Celtics providing him a soft landing while protecting his reputation while they head in a new direction. If he is gone in the next year or two I think they agreed to part ways amicably. Or they really want him around but he does not want to coach. If they bring in an assistant gm with experience to mentor him (or ainge is the unofficially official mentor) that may give us the other side of the coin.

Not sure on this but Angie was a coach then moved to the front office. Is that correct? Not clear if he had FO experience between coaching and that.

Stephens has the Celts relevant, but why would a franchise like Boston give one thought to a soft landing for Stephens?

I'm not sure why one of the top all time sports franchises would give a crap about Stephens if they actually wanted to get rid of him. They would have fired him outright.

I think he was tired of coaching for whatever reason but wanted to stay with the organization and still leave his mark on the team, and they felt he had earned the right to do that because they want to keep him as a part of the organization.

I guess your position is that they fired him but won’t say it publicly.

So you believe Stevens was fired, and is now going to be asked to name the new person to fill the position for which he was fired and have that position report to him? The logic doesn’t cohere.

His logic on Stevens makes no sense. Celtics have had only 1 title since 1986 and that was by Doc Rivers in 2008. Stevens was just tired, like a lot of coaches[ K & Roy included] where the past two seasons of battling Covid & the bubble just wore them out. Stevens had just gotten a contract extension thru the 2024-25 season and was 4th on the franchise list of victories after passing KC Jones. He also turned down a $70 million contract to go to IU to be their coach. He now gets to hire his replacement.

Let’s move the Stevens discussion to the NBA thread.

Not wanted there. Useless playoff discussion happening rather than us resolving this critical situation

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31554399/brad-stevens-invigorated-challenge-replacing-danny-ainge-boston-celtics-president

"Stevens said he chose to leave coaching and take on this new challenge because he 'wants to do what is best for the Celtics'."

"'They'll get to play for a great coach, with some similarities maybe, but also some great new fresh perspectives. That's a good thing, so I'm looking forward to finding that person.'"

"Stevens would've likely had input on all those decisions in his old role. Now, he not only will be the one deciding what happens but also has to hire his replacement."

"... all parties involved said it had been in the works for some time.... and later [Stevens] said that, had the Celtics hired someone else above him, he'd have been happy to remain in the job. But once he began talking to Ainge about the possibility of changing roles, Stevens said the idea appealed to him."

Just organizational spin I'm sure

Ph?

I keep coming to this thread hoping it’s all posts shitting on K but it’s like 90% about how good duke has been since the 1930s and dissecting the Celtics’ front office personnel hiring strategies.

Fuck duke.

Back