• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2021-22 Men's Basketball Schedule

devi8

Reaction score
I noticed that the official site announced that WF is participating in Basketball Hall of Fame Shootout on Dec 17 @ The Spectrum Center in Charlotte. WF will play UNCC (9-16 last year) in the single game event. The is some sort of affiliation w/ Duncan's HOF induction per the press release but it didn't specify if there's a ceremony or if TD will be in attendance.
https://godeacs.com/news/2021/6/3/mens-basketball-deactown-charlotte-wake-forest-basketball-to-participate-in-hall-of-fame-shootout-in-spectrum-center-on-dec-17.aspx

Also it was announced back in Feb that WF would be in the field for the 2021 Emerald Coast Classic on Nov 26/27. Others teams = LSU-Oregon St-Penn St. LSU/OSU made the tourney last year. PSU sucked. That tourney will be hosted by NW Florida State College, Forbes was their head coach from 2011-13 (62-6) so it will be a Niceville homecoming for him & Savage
https://www.emeraldcoastclassic.com/2021-emerald-coast-classic-announcement/

Here's the ACC breakdown

Home/Home
Duke
State
FSU
Loserville
Miami
Cuse

Home Only
BC
UNC
Pitt
ND

Away Only
Clemson
GT
UVA
VT

OOC
Emerald Coast Classic - NC A&T (home- round 1) Oregon St (neutral- round 2) LSU/Penn St (neutral- round 3)
UNCC
Charleston Southern
Northwestern (ACC/Big10)
Kennesaw St
USC-Upstate

We were scheduled to play @ Xavier last year for Prosser Classic but not sure if that will be moved to this season.

Any idea of other OOCs?

Last edited:

We should be in because we were out last year.

It will be interesting to see how the writers evaluate Wake that early. Wake only has three players who were significant contributors returning.

Charleston Southern was #339 in KP last year WITH Phlanderous Fleming.

That's a nice cupcake.

Charleston Southern. Yikes, they are truly pathetic and could be worse next season.

I believe we get 9 OOC games w/ tourneys counting as just 1 game so that leaves 6 opponents remaining.

One should be a BIG10 Challenge opponent since it's doubtful we get snubbed two years in a row. My guess is it's one of their bottom feeders on the road. We could play Penn St twice in a week or so if we get them in Emerald Coast Classic & B10 Challenge.

It's likely we add at least 2 more cupcakes. Troy & Presbyterian were on last year's schedule but cancelled

The remaining 3 could be more interesting games. I'd like to see @Xavier, Richmond, & SoCon team. Perhaps replacing X or Richmond w/ a higher profile opponent on the road esp if we could get a return home game the following season.

Last edited:
Pretty cool that Forbes has Wake playing in this NW FL State tourney. Across the bay from Destin.

Too bad it’s not my year for Thanksgiving at my mom’s place. Would def go to the games.

MD fans were hoping that Duke would travel to College Park in K's last year. To his credit, K was the most vocal anti-Maryland voice after the Terps left the ACC, saying that he would never agree to play MD again in an OOC game. Instead, VT goes to MD, and Duke plays at tOSU. The other matchups:

Other reported matchups for the 2021 ACC-Big Ten Challenge include Miami (Fla.) at Penn State, Louisville at Michigan State, Nebraska at N.C. State, Indiana at Syracuse, Clemson at Rutgers, Notre Dame at Illinois, Minnesota at Pittsburgh, Northwestern at Wake Forest, Michigan at North Carolina, Iowa at Virginia, Florida State at Purdue and Wisconsin at Georgia Tech.

WF played NW in the ACC Big 10 Challenge to start the 2016-7 season (Collins sophomore year). WF led early and fell apart late (common thing during that era). NW won 65-58. Both WF and NW received NCAA invites that year.

Last edited:
Would have been cool to get a bigger name like Indiana or Wisconsin for the ACC/B10 challenge but a winnable game against a quad 2 opponent in Northwestern is a great opportunity to build the resume. Should theoretically have three quad 2 games in 5 days with the MTE in Florida and then Northwestern. Win 2/3 and you gain some credibility, win all 3 and all of the sudden you're looking like a tourney contender going into conference play. Probably not great to have a stretch that can define the season so early on with all these new players but I'm sure coach will have them ready.

Northwestern also would prefer to be playing a bigger name. Chris Collins is among the early names on the hot seat next year. Since their 2017 NCAA tournament team (first in school history), NW has gone 19-58 in the Big 10, and the Wildcats haven't finished higher than 10th in the standings. A WF win would further the push to end Collins' time in Evanston.

Back