• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

Yeah. A NFL minor league would be unwieldy without ticket revenue. They gave the World League/NFL Europe a shot with the hope that expats and curious locals would show up and it didn't work out. I don't even think that many World League/NFL Europa alums made it over to the NFL. Our Chris Barclay played a season over there.

One model the NFL could use that could work for some teams is to host a minor league team at their training camp facility. That would address the facility issues. They could add temporary stands for fans. Not all teams have a separate practice facility but that would be a way to start. I think you could have 16 teams with two teams each sharing facilities.

Yeah. A NFL minor league would be unwieldy without ticket revenue. They gave the World League/NFL Europe a shot with the hope that expats and curious locals would show up and it didn't work out. I don't even think that many World League/NFL Europa alums made it over to the NFL. Our Chris Barclay played a season over there.

One model the NFL could use that could work for some teams is to host a minor league team at their training camp facility. That would address the facility issues. They could add temporary stands for fans. Not all teams have a separate practice facility but that would be a way to start. I think you could have 16 teams with two teams each sharing facilities.

Most NFL teams use their training facilities all week. There are 60+ players using the fields. It might be difficult to find room for another 50-60 players plus coaches to practice, let alone have the infrastructure to support fans in the stands.
Those teams that do spring training away from their practice facility usually go to a college which has low population during spring training camp days.

I was talking about the training camp facilities that are often a few minutes away from the main facilities. That would be a way to accommodate it. I don't think the NFL has any interest in a developmental league regardless. We could probably come up with a list of guys who lasted in the NFL after playing in the CFL, Arena League, World League/NFL Europe, XFL, and AAFL. It's not that many guys. There's not much evidence the NFL would benefit from it.

Spelling Bee winner and basketball player, Zaila Avant-Guarde is quite the social media darling right now (deservedly so). I am glad she can make $$ and still be eligible to play basketball for Harvard when she is older. I assume the NIL rule now allows this.

[/B]

Agree. Of the 800 or so colleges that field a football team, the overwhelming majority will only appear on t.v. if their team makes it to a national championship game, most of their coaches make less than $100K, and the players receive full & partial athletic scholarships or grants-in-aid that allow them to have a reasonably balanced athletic/academic experience. Our local high school has produced a fair number of DI football players and a handful of NFL'ers, but I can name 10X that number who were able to parlay their high school careers into degrees from schools like Catawba, Davidson, W-S State, Elon, UNC-Pembroke, Methodist, etc. If "bigtime" college athletics gets blown up, hopefully those competing at a more modest level will still be able to exist.

I completely agree with: If "bigtime" college athletics gets blown up, hopefully those competing at a more modest level will still be able to exist
I am now completely done with the likely non-modest path Wake will be on. They should simply be honest and give a degree for professional sports - similar to a degree in welding at a trade school. Anybody want two Wake license plates? Me an elitist? No, i just want Wake to remember their reason to exist.

Brian Anderson, 3rd team All ACC center for the Tarheels last season, is already at $1 million in earnings now for this year. In terms of what he has set up from NIL. And he is a CENTER. Only 3rd team all conference. But he is savvy in what he has made happen. This is going to get just crazy.

He might be an example of a guy that will make more in college than the pros and he will likely play in the NFL.

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

#savvy

Brian Anderson, 3rd team All ACC center for the Tarheels last season, is already at $1 million in earnings now for this year. In terms of what he has set up from NIL. And he is a CENTER. Only 3rd team all conference. But he is savvy in what he has made happen. This is going to get just crazy.

He might be an example of a guy that will make more in college than the pros and he will likely play in the NFL.

Can i get a source on that?

As things seem to be playing out, it appears that the NCAA restrictions on scholarships may be over run by NIL money plus the allowed "education related benefits.

In a sport like baseball, with scholarships capped, schools could give more smaller fraction scholarships with wealthy donors providing NIL payments making up the rest, and then some. Some schools will be able to have rosters of 20-30+ baseball players who have their education fully paid for, and not by their parents.

Coaches who could offer say 1/3 official scholarship with the other 2/3 of cost of attendance covered by NIL money would field a much larger and stronger team.

So here's my question: people with 5 million followers have already monetized their social media followings in small ways. I suspect a number of athletes in non-revenue sports have long had small money coming in from YouTube channels and Instagrams that the NCAA clearinghouse failed to bother to investigate.

So what is going to change for this woman? Will she have *more* followers now that her profile will somehow identify her as an LSU gymnast? I doubt the LSU gymnastics brand is that much more profitable than what she was already doing.

I guess maybe it made this company more likely to sponsor her. Can she now wear their clothing at NCAA competitions (outside of the actually competing part)? My experience says absolutely not. I suppose she can now just monetize her image as an LSU athlete?

I guess all of this is just a way for media-savvy people to profit from a period of their life they previously couldn't. Usually they have to wait until they graduate to start building an individual (as opposed to institutional) media profile

I seems like you’re asking what’s going to happen for people who couldn’t go public with their side hustle for fear of losing their NCAA eligibility. Kind of answers itself.

“Deestroying” had to choose between his YouTube channel and playing at UCF just 3 years ago. This will be a huge change for plenty of athletes.

Yes yes, sorry that was more of a lunchtime ramble, typing with one hand and eating with the other.

Phdeac's put better what I was thinking through: these side hustles are not new but couldn't be public if someone wanted to pass the clearinghouse. Now they can be.

I guess I misread the headline and assumed she was already making a lot of money before signing this?

The interesting thing for me, I guess, is that this gymnast and Deestroying (who I've never heard of) are probably not going to become professional athletes after college. So this is a nice way to set up your post-collegiate image.

Ph, did this deestroying bro get more internet famous after playing at UCF? I'm curious about how markets like YouTube/football and Instagram/gymnastics intersect

Went down a rabbit hole.

Apparently a lot if social media monetization can easily breach exclusive deals signed by schools.

Example: a football player on scholarship at a Nike school puts up something on a U-tube channel. U-tube attaches an Under Armor ad to the particular clip. Boom. Athlete has unknowingly broken the exclusive contract between his school and Nike.

Apparently most social media sites don't have ways to limit what ads go to which specific content. They do random, according to what I read.

Yes yes, sorry that was more of a lunchtime ramble, typing with one hand and eating with the other.

Phdeac's put better what I was thinking through: these side hustles are not new but couldn't be public if someone wanted to pass the clearinghouse. Now they can be.

I guess I misread the headline and assumed she was already making a lot of money before signing this?

The interesting thing for me, I guess, is that this gymnast and Deestroying (who I've never heard of) are probably not going to become professional athletes after college. So this is a nice way to set up your post-collegiate image.

Ph, did this deestroying bro get more internet famous after playing at UCF? I'm curious about how markets like YouTube/football and Instagram/gymnastics intersect

Deestroying is already a professional athlete with Argonauts in CFL. He signed there after having his scholarship pulled.

Last edited:
I assume he did get more famous because his situation made news and he chose YouTube over playing college football. I came across his videos just from the algorithm. Then I looked him up and saw he was the UCF kicker.

He’s got 3.7M subscribers. He’s got a video he put up yesterday after that already has 738K views. Looks like growing his brand has paid off.

Back