• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

I largely agree, but that's one reason why I like the NBA. From the player perspective, NBA has become less about the money. It's getting more and more about building relationships and playing with friends to win championships. Winning a championship is the legacy. And players are more and more running the league, so the NBA has to follow suit.

A friend reminded me that UCF is putting players' Twitter handles on their jerseys.

Weren't a lot of schools already providing full cost of living scholarships or am I confused with something else?

And the NBA's special relationship with China, which is not at all about making money but about forming friendships, is simply so endearing.

From the player perspective, NBA has become less about the money. It's getting more and more about building relationships and playing with friends to win championships. Winning a championship is the legacy. And players are more and more running the league, so the NBA has to follow suit.

lol

I for one welcome our new Southern Conference overlords and I look forward to watching Wake trying its best to beat the Citadel, Furman, and East Tennessee State annually. Go Deacs.

Lol! The NBA players are only about the money taking lead from king James, "don't you dare criticize my pot of gold China! "

I largely agree, but that's one reason why I like the NBA. From the player perspective, NBA has become less about the money. It's getting more and more about building relationships and playing with friends to win championships. Winning a championship is the legacy. And players are more and more running the league, so the NBA has to follow suit.

The NBA average salary is more than the MLB and NFL combined, but Adam Silver will remind them it's about the relationships at the next collective bargaining agreement.

The NBA average salary is more than the MLB and NFL combined, but Adam Silver will remind them it's about the relationships at the next collective bargaining agreement.

LOL. They play more games than the NFL and do more than stand around most of the game (except Ben Simmons).

Players are getting their money so the culture of the league isn’t soulless mercenaries chasing dollars. For players, it’s about extending careers and chasing championships.

the NBA is the best league, but it has absolutely nothing to do with "becom[ing] less about money"

Yeah, and the bad, yet nonsensically fully guaranteed, contracts in the NBA are so detrimental to the competitive process that they have become a marketable commodity. I'm an NBA season ticket holder and enjoy the product, but to act like it is less about the money from the player's perspective is ridiculous. It is all about the money more than ever. Hell, Blake Griffin tanked himself on purpose because the guaranteed contract situation is so bassackwards that he could get himself bought out, still get paid, then go to a contender. Does he do that if it is an NFL-style contract where if he gets cut he doesn't get paid? Fuck no.

LOL. They play more games than the NFL and do more than stand around most of the game (except Ben Simmons).

Players are getting their money so the culture of the league isn’t soulless mercenaries chasing dollars. For players, it’s about extending careers and chasing championships.

they also don't get concussed with regularity in the NBA

Really bad take there PH, everything the NBA does is to maximize revenue. EVERYTHING. Now the players have more power, sure. But they are also mainly trying to maximize their revenue. The China "controversy" is a lame gotcha talking point used by predictable rubes like 2&2 and Sailor, but there was some truth in the hypocrisy of the league and player's actions.

Anyways back to the NCAA. It's over. I give it 10 years max. The big schools will break away and try to create their own thing, but they will fail too. Maybe college football lives, but everything else is gone, at least in its current form. If I'm Wake I'm slowly cutting back on athletics. Their programs have been on a slow death spiral since 2005 and the beginning of conference realignment.

Last edited:
Really bad take there PH, everything the NBA does is to maximize revenue. EVERYTHING. Now the players have more power, sure. But they are also mainly trying to maximize their revenue. The China "controversy" is a lame gotcha talking point used by predictable rubes like 2&2 and Sailor, but there was some truth in the hypocrisy of the league and player's actions.

Anyways back to the NCAA. It's over. I give it 10 years max. The big schools will break away and try to create their own thing, but they will fail too. Maybe college football lives, but everything else is gone. If I'm Wake I'm slowly cutting back on athletics. Their programs have been on a slow death spiral since 2005 and the beginning of conference realignment.

Yeah, this is the discussion. College football may survive because of the 3-year rule from the CBA. College basketball is going to be drastically different. There is a possibility that programs in big conferences can survive because of conference money (likely from football). Non-rev sports will continue but perhaps more limited b/c they won't be propped up by rev sports.

I wonder when payments to male athletes run up against Title IX. As we all know, the bulk of the money supporting college athletics is generated by football and men's basketball.

If schools start guaranteeing two year's of graduate school costs to incoming football players, they will be needing to do something similar for female athletes.

Blake Griffin took less money to join a contender.

Expanding player rights and compensation could help save college basketball.

Blake Griffin took less money to join a contender.

Expanding player rights and compensation could help save college basketball.

Super generous of Blake to take less money to play with the Nets after taking $30 million this season to barely play for the Pistons.

Back