• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SCOTUS 9-0 Ruling: "The NCAA is not above the law."

Don't see this as the death of college sports. The schools will adapt. There remains a huge TV programming need for college football and basketball; those revenues will continue to fuel those sports. Does seem like non-revenue sports will suffer as there won't be the same availability of funds that were siphoned off from football and basketball to help support other programs. Those other programs will likely need targeted funding from donors (like WF has had for baseball and tennis) to continue. With that said, Title IX will still require scholarship spending on women's sports; so, non-revenue men's sports will likely get hammered.

The net effect may be even a greater widening of the resource and talent gap between the richest programs and the others trying to compete, although scholly limits will help with that.

The net effect may be even a greater widening of the resource and talent gap between the richest programs and the others trying to compete, although scholly limits will help with that.

Agree with this.

Blake Griffin took less money to join a contender.

Expanding player rights and compensation could help save college basketball.

Not really. He got paid $32.5 million (out of $36.8) by the Pistons to barely play for them this year. He'll get paid $30.2 million (out of $38.9) by the Pistons to NOT play for them at all next year. So, from the Pistons, for halfassedly playing a few games this year, he'll get $13.3 million less from them than he would for playing 2 full seasons of games for them. That is absurd. Plus, he got whatever the Nets paid him, and he is free to sign with any team next year for whatever he can. So in the end after next year between the Pistons, Nets, and whoever he signs with, he will likely end up netting more for 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 than he would have under his original contract. There is no way to claim the players are not about the money. Again, if 2021-2022 was not guaranteed akin to an NFL contract, there is no way he would have got himself cut.

So he didn’t take less money, he actually took less money. Gotcha.

The resource gaps are massive as is. Schools in the middle and bottom who are innovators will gain an advantage on the rest. It could be Twitter jerseys. It could be having good e-sports programs attached to the AD. Who knows? Schools who just sit on their ass and complain will get left behind.

Anyways back to the NCAA. It's over. I give it 10 years max. The big schools will break away and try to create their own thing, but they will fail too. Maybe college football lives, but everything else is gone, at least in its current form. If I'm Wake I'm slowly cutting back on athletics. Their programs have been on a slow death spiral since 2005 and the beginning of conference realignment.

In the history of Wake Forest athletics, teams and individuals have won 28 national championships. 13 of those national championships have come since 2005.

Lot of this NIL stuff I don't understand (or haven't taken the trouble to read up on), but I don't see how the WFU's of the world will be able to recruit when somebody like Sam Hartmann probably couldn't sell 10 autographs at a Dunkin' Donuts opening, while the 3rd string OT at Alabama can get a gig showing up at kids' b-day parties in Podunk, AA where he'd be treated like a celeb. And not a knock on Hartmann or any of our athletes, but our fanbase just doesn't roll with the WalMart, "Oh my God there's so-and-so" mentality.

Anyways back to the NCAA. It's over. I give it 10 years max. The big schools will break away and try to create their own thing, but they will fail too. Maybe college football lives, but everything else is gone, at least in its current form.

I see the opposite happening. The change has been driven by the idea that billions of dollars are being made/exchanged, and the student athletes are not seeing that money. So I think it will be much easier to keep the sports that currently do not generate money (everything except football and men's basketball). Football and men's basketball will be moved to a minor league system that eventually no one will care about, and the collegiate sports that are kept will rise in prominence (especially soccer and baseball). The interest in college sports is not because these are the best athletes (they're not), it's because of the the interscholastic competition.

I see the opposite happening. The change has been driven by the idea that billions of dollars are being made/exchanged, and the student athletes are not seeing that money. So I think it will be much easier to keep the sports that currently do not generate money (everything except football and men's basketball). Football and men's basketball will be moved to a minor league system that eventually no one will care about, and the collegiate sports that are kept will rise in prominence (especially soccer and baseball). The interest in college sports is not because these are the best athletes (they're not), it's because of the the interscholastic competition.

I'm sort of with you on this. I could see soccer and softball/baseball, maybe lacrosse hanging around. But the sports would have to pay for themselves without basketball and football revenue coming in. Maybe we see schools who continue to play academic sports they currently specialize in, and conference's realigning around this. So separate conference/divisions for each sport. The college hockey model if you will.

It's possible. The main reasons there are so few revenue sports is because the NCAA, TV partners, and corporate partners have been content with promoting two main sports and using those to make plenty of money and fund other sports without paying any athletes. If those entities get behind other college sports, they'll likely see growth as well.

We saw this year that ESPN televised every NCAA women's basketball tournament game and actually promoted it so viewership increased. The same happened with the softball CWS and other women's championships. We could see the same for baseball as well.

The powers that be regularly fail to tap into the best assets for promoting "non-revenue" sports, thousands of talented, attractive interesting young people. If they can earn income by promoting themselves and promoting their college and sport, that should grow an audience for the sports as well.

In the history of Wake Forest athletics, teams and individuals have won 28 national championships. 13 of those national championships have come since 2005.

cEUzHvn9_400x400.jpg

Lot of this NIL stuff I don't understand (or haven't taken the trouble to read up on), but I don't see how the WFU's of the world will be able to recruit when somebody like Sam Hartmann probably couldn't sell 10 autographs at a Dunkin' Donuts opening, while the 3rd string OT at Alabama can get a gig showing up at kids' b-day parties in Podunk, AA where he'd be treated like a celeb. And not a knock on Hartmann or any of our athletes, but our fanbase just doesn't roll with the WalMart, "Oh my God there's so-and-so" mentality.

I can't see how making this about individual compensation will be anything but a disaster. I do think the team athletes should be allowed to generate whatever revenue they can, but into a team pool. Sam ain't completing many passes without OL blocking or 4 guys running routes despite who catches it. They deserve a big cut from the trough where they have been overlooked for years but there is no I in Team.

I don't think some have read Kavanaugh's opinion carefully or fully. I would encourage you to do so here: https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinion...0-512_gfbh.pdf

"I add this concurring opinion to underscore that the NCAA’s remaining compensation rules also raise serious questions under the antitrust laws.
"The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America."

Things are going to change. Big time.

Last edited:
I did put the opinion in the OP. Without straying too much away from sports, the part that gets quoted the most is based on a very idealistic version of this country. "The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America." The examples he gives of what couldn't happen actually do in some respects.

I do agree that this is motivation for things to change. The question is who will change it. The NCAA has no desire to lead. This is a 50/50 ball for Congress but I doubt they'll do anything. Conferences are probably most likely but how big will they go?

I did put the opinion in the OP. Without straying too much away from sports, the part that gets quoted the most is based on a very idealistic version of this country. "The NCAA’s business model would be flatly illegal in almost any other industry in America." The examples he gives of what couldn't happen actually do in some respects.

I do agree that this is motivation for things to change. The question is who will change it. The NCAA has no desire to lead. This is a 50/50 ball for Congress but I doubt they'll do anything. Conferences are probably most likely but how big will they go?

Didn't say you didn't post it. Said I'm not sure many have read it. This was a 9-0 opinion from a very divided court. And it made it quite clear that if the NCAA returns, things might also not go well that time either.
This is combined with 7 states who have laws going into effect on 7/1 for athlete compensation in some form or another. The WSJ reported today that the NCAA has no intention of challenging. Their only hope is Congress and that's a stretch.

Has nothing to do with "idealistic version" of the country. I'm not even sure what that means in the context of antitrust law. It has to do with the fact the NCAA has essentially been neutered and their future purpose, I think, is in serious question.

I was just saying the other examples he gave are flawed. Several industries do keep wages low based on what they say customers want, or some concept of amatuerism, or the idea that workers should work for the "love." Not questioning his conclusion, just how he got there. I'd be more than happy if Kavanaugh went after other industries for their practices.

College sports is going to be the wild west for awhile. On top of all this, EA Sports is getting back into college sports. So one of the original touch stones for this issue is back in play.

In the immediate future we'll continue to see men's programs cut in Olympic sports.

And the NBA's special relationship with China, which is not at all about making money but about forming friendships, is simply so endearing.

Let's go make some more shoes on the backs of kids & child labor so Bronnie can have his billions they always say.

Back